Is it just me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucybluebell

Reaction score
I'm having a total crisis of confidence :sad:
Ive just qualified (nvq2) which really wasn't a great course, I've certainly learned far more from this site than the whole course!!
I'm doing a CND conversion course a week today and then I'm going to start offering enhancements to clients.
I'm just panicking about whether I'm good enough, will I be able to detect any nail disorders, will my clients be happy, how much to charge etc etc
All I've done for 16 years is look after my children and I'm doubting that I'm good enough to do anything else! My 4 children are stressing me out a lot at the moment and I'm thinking if I can't cope with them how can I do anything else???
Please someone tell me it's not just me that feels like this:sad:

Its Hard hunni when you havent had the best foundations from a course in which to build your skills upon, Alot of it tho is defindetly practise ive been doing nothing but practise since my rubbish course and i can feel myself improving!.

As for the Not being able to detect contra indications etc, the internet and books have ALOT of information, I would maybe do alot of reaserch online, buy some books about it, Or Simply take another course if thats what you feel you need, I feel i need another course, just to be tip top, having kiddies are hard i know that, and definetly feel your pain on the stressy days, but if you want something enough hun you will acheive it,

Have a little faith in yourself and remember where you are now everyone has been, everyone had to do a first set of nails. That were probaby not their greatest, Rome wasnt built in a day You can do it, Just belive it xxxx

Lucy ... you seem like a very competent and capable person to me. Just take it one client at a time.

Yes you will be able to spot a nail disorder because is doesn't look normal. If anything does not look normal or bothers you then don't do it .. really simple. You do not have to know what it is.

Will your clients be happy? The answer is that some will and occasionally some won't ... anticipate situations and be ready to deal with them. It's being caught off guard and unprepared that causes problems.

You will get better and better the more nails you do and the more clients you take on. You will start your 'real learning' in the salon and this time next year you will wonder why you were ever stressing. :hug:

Have a read of this http://www.salongeek.com/business/51249-show-you-confident-yourself-your-work-some-tricks.html

I'm having a total crisis of confidence :sad:
Ive just qualified (nvq2) which really wasn't a great course, I've certainly learned far more from this site than the whole course!!
I'm doing a CND conversion course a week today and then I'm going to start offering enhancements to clients.
I'm just panicking about whether I'm good enough, will I be able to detect any nail disorders, will my clients be happy, how much to charge etc etc
All I've done for 16 years is look after my children and I'm doubting that I'm good enough to do anything else! My 4 children are stressing me out a lot at the moment and I'm thinking if I can't cope with them how can I do anything else???
Please someone tell me it's not just me that feels like this:sad:

well those skills of being a good mother - patience, hard work, multi tasking, resourcefulness, good listener, caring for others will stand you in good stead for a career in nails

sounds like your confidence having a little wobble - thats normal and in a way shows how important being a professional is to you, we all went through that at some stage, with time and experience and good education that will change

Hi Lucy, Like you I have children (4 of them) and mine stress me out 2...especially when I have exams and am up two nights prior to that with my little one with colic!!! A day at a time is now my motto. I have literally had my confidence knocked out of me and I struggled to even get out of the house to drive to the course, but it was the best thing I have ever done. I can't do everything, I'm raising them alone,I work, look after the house and I am now training as a CND nail tech.

I also worry about the what if's.......but I have to keep things in perspective a I will deal with one section of the course at a time, come on SG and read and revise in the evenings as much as I can. I will also deal with one client at a time, I have my first two tomorrow...my mum I know, my other client is a mum from school who I speak to but don't know that well so I'm trying to study this morning and prepare for tomorrow, am I scared...oh yes...petrified!! But I will do it, I will do it for me, for my children, for my friends and family and I'll do it because I don't just want to be a good nail tech...I want to be a really good nail tech.

So come on, think positive, in your threads you come across as very competent and you have your CND conversion course, which you will love. The EA's are fabulous and caring, so put a smile on your face, give your kids a big hug and carry on...one day at a time xx

Oh thank you all! :hug:
I really need to believe in myself I know. I absolutely want to a will be a successful nail tech!
Good luck with your clients Rebecca...I'm sure you'll be great! If we can cope we 4 kids then surely we can cope with anything!!!:D

Haha, I hope so...only one way to find out though :Scared: xx

Lucy i went on a pretty pants course that only embedded extreme basics so i purchased the following 3 books first i got was gigi rouse - nail class
2nd i got the encyclopedia of nails 2nd edition by habia writers jacqui jefford and anne swain and the final book i invested in was the complete nail technician 3rd edition by marian newman.
All 3 books in different ways have helped my knowledge and confidence in leaps and bounds. Im also obsessed with nail geek as i learn soooo much from all our fellow geeks wether that be trainees or professionals it all helps.
Take a look at some books i got mine online.
Xx

Lucy i went on a pretty pants course that only embedded extreme basics so i purchased the following 3 books first i got was gigi rouse - nail class
2nd i got the encyclopedia of nails 2nd edition by habia writers jacqui jefford and anne swain and the final book i invested in was the complete nail technician 3rd edition by marian newman.
All 3 books in different ways have helped my knowledge and confidence in leaps and bounds. Im also obsessed with nail geek as i learn soooo much from all our fellow geeks wether that be trainees or professionals it all helps.
Take a look at some books i got mine online.
Xx

I think I might buy Gigi's book when I go to S2 shop next week....my poor bank balance lol

I think I might buy Gigi's book when I go to S2 shop next week....my poor bank balance lol

Gigi's book is excellent as is Doug Schoons Nail Structure and Product Chemistry.

Do you get a workbook on your conversion course? My CND textbook and workbook are brilliant xx

Gigi's book is excellent as is Doug Schoons Nail Structure and Product Chemistry.

Do you get a workbook on your conversion course? My CND textbook and workbook are brilliant xx

Not sure....guess I'll find out what I get next week!x

Hi Lucy your post echoes my thoughts exactly so think we must all have days where we doubt our skills and confidence takes a dip I no with my children sometimes its hard to think straight and that definitely doesn't help matters! Mayb we could start a newbie group to keep each other going?! X

Hi Lucy your post echoes my thoughts exactly so think we must all have days where we doubt our skills and confidence takes a dip I no with my children sometimes its hard to think straight and that definitely doesn't help matters! Mayb we could start a newbie group to keep each other going?! X
We should!x

Hi Lucy I'm sure many have felt like this, but you seem like you got your head on..
Just enjoy each individual treatment you do and imagine doing one if your friends/family.

Good luck and SG always able to help. Xx

A newbie group would be fab idea x

I know exactly what you mean,i have been there,i have kids too.
The only way you learn is by jumping in and doing it.
I used to fret all the time about nails (went mobile last year) but have realised that i am bringing it all on myself,the clients seem happy so therefore i am not going to beat myself up any more thinking 'what if'
you cannot please all people all of the time.
Fantastic advice from Geeg she has hit the nail on the head.
Go for it and all the best :)

Does anyone know how to start a new group?

I wouldn't start a new group for newbies ... this whole site is for newbies and oldies alike and if you want help and encouragement then I WOULD STICK WITH THE MAIN FORUM ... that is what it is for. A newbie group could end up with allot of conflicting or wrong information and the people who can correct it will not be there to point it out or to help. Not a good idea I think.

I agree with gigi, you would be best to stick with the main forum, as you are getting advice from some of the best nail technicians there are.xxx

I wouldn't start a new group for newbies ... this whole site is for newbies and oldies alike and if you want help and encouragement then I WOULD STICK WITH THE MAIN FORUM ... that is what it is for. A newbie group could end up with allot of conflicting or wrong information and the people who can correct it will not be there to point it out or to help. Not a good idea I think.

I see what you mean Gigi, I'll not really be able to give any advice yet lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back