Is it me or clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsBB2013

Reaction score
Hey I havent been qualified in acrylic long and only have a few clients so struggling to get much practice in. But the clients I have had seem to have problems with nails breaking or pinging, no one has managed to last to the infills without something happens. I would say that it's me doing something wrong but I do my own and can get 2/3 weeks out of them then infills? Are ppl just thinking they have indestructible nails? It's really knocking my confidence. Here are a few pics, I sculpt with nail harmony products Xxx

Attachments

• 1445846393932.jpg
    1445846393932.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 403
  • 1445846405584.jpg
    1445846405584.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 321
  • 1445846423702.jpg
    1445846423702.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 320
  • 1445846472116.jpg
    1445846472116.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 317
  • 1445846541373.jpg
    1445846541373.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 330
So for example this lady contacted me last night. She hasn't had extensions on for ages so I told her to be extra careful but I wouldn't be surprised if this set took a battering while she got used to it again. 2 days later she sent me this. I'm going to go back and fix it free since it was so soon. I am thinking to take down the white so she has a shorter set on them all and check any apex issues. Is there anything else I can do? Also I'm not a massive fan on the look of these nails I wanted to extend the nail bed but she didn't want me to xx

Attachments

• 1445847379831.jpg
    1445847379831.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 369
The French set appears to have lifting on all except the thumb so this would cause them to come off. This could be caused by not removing all tissue from the nail plate or taking the product too far and touching the skin. X

I'm a newbie too - at the moment my clients are getting between 12-14 days out of a set. They may lose one in that time, and I do get lifting issues but I'm aware that's due to me not being able to fully manipulate the product away from the skin yet, but something I'm definitely working on :)

Basically Wss ^ but I also think the acrylics you are applying to clients look a little bulky in zone 1. The ones on yourself look a little more tapered, so possibly a bit more time spent filing may help too :)
I am still working on structure too, I guess it's something that will only come in time :) xx

So for example this lady contacted me last night. She hasn't had extensions on for ages so I told her to be extra careful but I wouldn't be surprised if this set took a battering while she got used to it again. 2 days later she sent me this. I'm going to go back and fix it free since it was so soon. I am thinking to take down the white so she has a shorter set on them all and check any apex issues. Is there anything else I can do? Also I'm not a massive fan on the look of these nails I wanted to extend the nail bed but she didn't want me to xx
It looks like to me as Cinderella has mentioned , it doesn't seem you have done much remoal of dead tissue and on the pic of nail that has come off it looks like product had touched the skin , but on some pictures it looks. Like you haven't gone close enough to side walls etc ( its very hard to tell by photos) x

Mrs BB2013 - your main problem is the length. I have looked at all your pictures and want to say well done for posting - not easy to post your work for everyone to pick over, but you DO need help with application and this IS a professional forum and you have asked for help - so here goes!

They're too long, too thick and too top heavy in some cases. I would do 121 with someone and specifically troubleshoot these areas. You have a lot of 'Egyptian Hats' going on too - you need to look at your shape.

But length is the main issue - look at the length of her nails where the product or enhancement has come off and look at the length you have applied - you need to prescribe the correct length to each and every client so that it 'suits' them... anyone NOT used to it (as she clearly wasn't) is going to bash those babies up because they simple don't know how to go from short to long in one fell-swoop - you need to ease them in. Call your supplier and do some classes - you will be so much happier and way more confident if you do! I know we do a Makeover Magic class that shows you how to 'place' the white tip in the 'correct' area on a nail biter / short nail etc... whether to sculpt or tip... whether gel or L+P are better - it's troubleshooting you need!

Again good on you for having the guts to post!

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I definitely need to be guiding ppl more as to what is right for them. I only finished my 12 week course a month ago and had 4 clients so I am massively inexperienced so I appreciate all your comments to help me. I have so much passion and want to be the best it's just not translating down my brush yet! Maybe I shouldn't talk too. Cos I do agree my own nails look way better!! X

These are my assessment nails I need them to be like this all the time! X

Attachments

• 1445878231469.jpg
    1445878231469.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 284
  • 1445878253490.jpg
    1445878253490.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 262
You know looking at the difference my class nails and my home ones are completely different. I think I genuinely am so giddy about doing nails and talking to my clients I'm distracting myself! X

You know looking at the difference my class nails and my home ones are completely different. I think I genuinely am so giddy about doing nails and talking to my clients I'm distracting myself! X

Well done for seeing the difference, it's hard to teach someone to 'see' the differences but you can, and you know what you need to do. I tell my clients to keep talking to the top of my head as I need to watch what I'm doing but I want to chat too :p

Thanks so much trinity! I have very high standards and have been disappointed in myself that ppl nails haven't been good for them. Putting all the pictures together along with everyone's feedback has really helped me today. Thanks again, I want to be good enough to compete in the future so I need to be able to take ppl critiquing my work on the chin x

Good for you that you've taken the critique well, it's hard hearing negative comments about your own work but like you admit it's sometimes necessary especially if you want to improve.

Your class work is great, keep your head down and concentrate and maybe for your first few sets try just to do them without polish then you can see what's going on underneath (ie, the lifting), Polish is fab for covering up the issues but no good when you're trying to see where you're going wrong and I think it's down to your prep/application too close to the sidewalls.

Good luck and keep going.

Thanks so much trinity! I have very high standards and have been disappointed in myself that ppl nails haven't been good for them. Putting all the pictures together along with everyone's feedback has really helped me today. Thanks again, I want to be good enough to compete in the future so I need to be able to take ppl critiquing my work on the chin x
I just read the comments and it sounds like i may of came over abit harsh i dint mean to be , you have done well and. And it does take time to see where you may of gone wrong , imvstill practising and it takes me like agggeeesss to do a set xx. Goid luck and keep up the passion you have and you'll soon master it xx

I just read the comments and it sounds like i may of came over abit harsh i dint mean to be , you have done well and. And it does take time to see where you may of gone wrong , imvstill practising and it takes me like agggeeesss to do a set xx. Goid luck and keep up the passion you have and you'll soon master it xx
I didn't read that as harsh at all. Just another really good pointer x

Just wanted to update you ladies done one of my hands tonight. Donna and cinderella completely right about the prep didn't realise how much debris must have been left til I really concentrated on it tonight. Really easy thing makes a massive difference x

Extended nail bed sculpted. I know I need to work on my smile some wonky ones! But overall I think the structure is better, do you agree? X

Attachments

• 1446070027387.jpg
    1446070027387.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 184
Pic 2 x

Attachments

• 1446070137827.jpg
    1446070137827.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 168
Better structure, but stay well away from cuticle area and sidewalls. Better too far away than too close. It will get to be second nature how close you can get without touching.

Done well with the ratio of pink to white, once you perfect the smile they'll look lovely.

You could do with a bit of refinement on the side walls though the tips are too wide for the nail and need tapering in. Good effort :)

Just wanted to update you ladies done one of my hands tonight. Donna and cinderella completely right about the prep didn't realise how much debris must have been left til I really concentrated on it tonight. Really easy thing makes a massive difference x
Fantasic xxxx.

Latest posts

Back