Is it ok to apply enhancements to really thin nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberley1978

Reaction score
Is it ok to apply use enhancement when the natural nails are so thin?

Kimberley

How thin are we talking, is there any medical reason for them being so thin?
I would normally say that thin nails will be protected by enhancements. Sometimes if a client has thin nails, say from abuse by e-file at a NSS, having an overlay is better than leaving them unprotected, as long as you are treating the new growth well.

My own nails are so thin I don't think they come much thinner. Not through damage either. I remember when I started learning nails thinking, if the business doesn't take off, it will have been worth it just to do mine!

Personally, my little flimsy nails flex so much, I find I get on better with a soak off gel than anything else as it will bend and flex with my nail instead of fighting with it! hth x

Thanks. It's my own nails actually. I've messed them up for myself by biting (shameful I know) the gel off whilst I've been practising using forms. They just look and feel so awful now I wanna have another go. Just wanted to check it wasn't gonna make 'em worse.

Kimberley x

the worse thing i found about practising on yourself , if your nails are already weak , is that if you do get any lifting and you are likely to bite DONT DO IT ,

also if you do decide to apply them , make sure you keep them short and managable ,as the canvas you are putting them on is not strong enough to take length.

Will do. I only get tempted as I do nails from home but work in an office in the week so if I don't like what i've done I am naughty/stupid and pick while I'm at work :o/

Thanks for the advice

It's my own nails actually. I've messed them up for myself by biting (shameful I know) the gel off whilst I've been practising using forms. They just look and feel so awful now I wanna have another go. Just wanted to check it wasn't gonna make 'em worse.
If you're going to be applying gel to your damaged nails then you should expect to get exothermic reaction, aka heatspike, if this happens when you cure your gel then pull your hand out of the lamp and reinsert, keep doing this until the heat spike disappears then you can cure fully without feeling any discomfort.

hth's

If you're going to be applying gel to your damaged nails then you should expect to get exothermic reaction, aka heatspike, if this happens when you cure your gel then pull your hand out of the lamp and reinsert, keep doing this until the heat spike disappears then you can cure fully without feeling any discomfort.

hth's

Ouch, will look forward to that, lol. Thanks for the warning :eek:

Hi ya

Don't you just hate that build up of heat when doing gel nails, i don't get it all the time just on my little fingers, it should only last a few seconds, it's just the chemical reaction to UV light curing the gel particals, and thin nails will feel the heat build up.

Also if you practice on anyone friend/family inform them it could heat up a little, my poor mum while i was training, every nail got warm, sorry mum, get them to remove their hand slowly so the gel does not shift, and press finger on to table.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Sarah Bell
Nail tech advice
http://www.essentialnails.com

Latest posts

Back