Is it OK to offer just gel polish and not normal polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat27Bro

Reaction score
I will be offering mobile nail services but only want to do gel nails and not normal polish. I just prefer gel as once its dine its staying put. I dont like regular polish as it can be ruined to easily! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance 😁😘

If you only want to offer hybrid then do just that. One thing I’ll say though is if you do a perfect polish application it won’t budge. It’s all
About prep superb products and perfect application. Using a correct base coat 2 coats of polish and a beautiful top coat will ensure that won’t budge just the same as a gel type manicure. I still favour polish over hybrid as I can’t wear anything on my nails for work as do most of my friends , it’s easier to remove for wearing 2 days only.

That's good advice thank you. Maybe I could get some normal polish but just not have a big range of colours like I will with gel. Do you have any recommendations for a good brand. Also, do you have any tips on drying standard polish quickly. I have used the cold icy water method myself and that worked, but not sure it would be nice for a client

HI ,

I have a feeling that if you just offer gel you could be limiting your market.

My pedicure clients actually prefer normal polish on their toes as it suits them better.
I have clients that work in healthcare situations and they are not allowed to have gel or polish on, so a few key colours can be useful to have in stock.

I use Cuccio Veneer (gel) and matching normal polish. They do a rapid dry top coat - 7 seconds.
I also like Morgan Taylor, China Glaze and OPI normal polish. You could look out for the advanced longer wear of these products and buy in a couple of the small sets that they introduce as new collections. That way you can have many colours but you've not paid the full price of the larger bottles.

Look into rapid dry drops and the more advanced base and top coats rather than the icy water method. Don't apply any of the polish layers thickly though as they won't dry fast enough. Then finish with a drop of cuticle oil to help to stop them from scuffing is my last step.
Educate your clients to be very careful afterwards, there's always going to be the occasional knock, which I put right before they leave me. However because you are mobile then they haven't got the usual problems with getting in the car for the return home , so should be ok.

Best of luck.

I will be offering mobile nail services but only want to do gel nails and not normal polish. I just prefer gel as once its dine its staying put. I dont like regular polish as it can be ruined to easily! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance 😁😘
I would love to be able to just Gel polish. I heard about a salon in Devon that did gel polish only... thing is some clients say that gel dries their nail out and some are nurses etc and can't have polish on. Normal polish can be a hassle tbh also you will need to consider when they want it removed x

I do both and have noticed, altho I haven't been doing many nails since lockdowns, more clients are opting for this, so they don't have to bother about Shellac removal. I have a lot of clients in healthcare too, so as the others said, they sometimes find polish easier.
I don't carry a huge stock of colours, but I do let my clients know this, and ask them to let me know in advance if they have a particular colour in mind, so I can make sure I have it for them. I definitely have more Shellac colours in stock.
As someone has said, clients often do toes in polish, so opt for a good trade brand who does both, so for example, I use CND and can get Shellac for their fingers and put the same colour on their toes in Vinylux.
Also, if doing polish ...take payment at start....tell them to keep jacket on, car keys out, etc. These are the usual ways they touch polish on the way home! If ur mobile, it should be easier.

Sure you can. But you will lose this source of revenue if you choose to only do gels.

It is fine, but you will miss out on a client if there’s somebody who wants regular polish.

Not everybody wants or even likes gel polish, some dislike the fact that it needs to be professionally removed, that they cannot remove simply without extra products at home themselves, some have had a bad experience and believe that it damages the nails, others terrified of the false dangers involving nail lamps.

You could keep an absolute minimum of polishes, I’d say keep a few popular colours based on what existing clients choose, and a decent set to do French with, so a white, and a couple different shades of nudes and pinks x

Last edited:
This means you're giving up a part of the market and not just those who don't want gel, but those who use gel sometimes and polish others. Although gel is very popular, lots of people don't want it, and more don't want it on their toes since they perceive the benefit to be minimal (personally, I love a gel pedi!) Can you really afford to lose this market? The costs of stocking regular polish is small especially if you use a brand (OPI, CND, Cuccio, LeChat, Gelish, etc.) that does gel and lacquer (or long wear lacquer) pairs often at a reduced price.

I buy .25 oz. (1/8), bottles for take home polish touchup. Good for travel, etc. easy to pour into and a nice touch for clients.

Most if not all of my clients only have gel polish. If there's an instance that they request regular polish, I have a huge OPI collection at home, so would ask them in advance what kind of colour they might be after and bring them a choice x

Most if not all of my clients only have gel polish. If there's an instance that they request regular polish, I have a huge OPI collection at home, so would ask them in advance what kind of colour they might be after and bring them a choice x

The only problem I see with asking clients in advance, is that you can't upsell gel polishes before or after a mani. Your fate in what services you can offer is sealed.

There are still clients out there who prefer regular polish, particularly older clients & those who think that gel ruins nails etc. I would say my clients half regular, half Gel so it would be worth your while getting some regular polishes in. You don’t need many, just a couple of each colour I would say.
Also, I have found during covid & never knowing when a lockdown will hit, more clients have converted to regular polish so they haven’t got to worry about removing their gels if i’m not allowed to work.

HI ,

I have a feeling that if you just offer gel you could be limiting your market.

My pedicure clients actually prefer normal polish on their toes as it suits them better.
I have clients that work in healthcare situations and they are not allowed to have gel or polish on, so a few key colours can be useful to have in stock.

I use Cuccio Veneer (gel) and matching normal polish. They do a rapid dry top coat - 7 seconds.
I also like Morgan Taylor, China Glaze and OPI normal polish. You could look out for the advanced longer wear of these products and buy in a couple of the small sets that they introduce as new collections. That way you can have many colours but you've not paid the full price of the larger bottles.

Look into rapid dry drops and the more advanced base and top coats rather than the icy water method. Don't apply any of the polish layers thickly though as they won't dry fast enough. Then finish with a drop of cuticle oil to help to stop them from scuffing is my last step.
Educate your clients to be very careful afterwards, there's always going to be the occasional knock, which I put right before they leave me. However because you are mobile then they haven't got the usual problems with getting in the car for the return home , so should be ok.

Best of luck.
Thank you this is very helpful. I will definitely get some, I dont want to limit my services for anyone. I appreciate your time

I would love to be able to just Gel polish. I heard about a salon in Devon that did gel polish only... thing is some clients say that gel dries their nail out and some are nurses etc and can't have polish on. Normal polish can be a hassle tbh also you will need to consider when they want it removed x
Thank you

It is fine, but you will miss out on a client if there’s somebody who wants regular polish.

Not everybody wants or even likes gel polish, some dislike the fact that it needs to be professionally removed, that they cannot remove simply without extra products at home themselves, some have had a bad experience and believe that it damages the nails, others terrified of the false dangers involving nail lamps.

You could keep an absolute minimum of polishes, I’d say keep a few popular colours based on what existing clients choose, and a decent set to do French with, so a white, and a couple different shades of nudes and pinks x
Very helpful thank you

I do both and have noticed, altho I haven't been doing many nails since lockdowns, more clients are opting for this, so they don't have to bother about Shellac removal. I have a lot of clients in healthcare too, so as the others said, they sometimes find polish easier.
I don't carry a huge stock of colours, but I do let my clients know this, and ask them to let me know in advance if they have a particular colour in mind, so I can make sure I have it for them. I definitely have more Shellac colours in stock.
As someone has said, clients often do toes in polish, so opt for a good trade brand who does both, so for example, I use CND and can get Shellac for their fingers and put the same colour on their toes in Vinylux.
Also, if doing polish ...take payment at start....tell them to keep jacket on, car keys out, etc. These are the usual ways they touch polish on the way home! If ur mobile, it should be easier.
This is really helpful, thank you

The only problem I see with asking clients in advance, is that you can't upsell gel polishes before or after a mani. Your fate in what services you can offer is sealed.

I always try to give them the cons of having regular polish vs gel polish and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't

I always try to give them the cons of having regular polish vs gel polish and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't
Over the phone though?

Latest posts

Back