Is it OK to text at the dinner table or while at a restaurant?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tonicj

I was out for a meal last week with my husband and a young couple at a table beside us couldn't seem to put their phones down. They were constantly texting which I thought was awful. In my own home texting does not happen while we are eating together. What thoughts do you all have on this?

RUDE!!! I find it really really really rude. I have a friend who does this if we meet for lunch or a coffee. I'm so sick of it, I don't meet her anymore. I also have clients who will text all the way through their pedi. They're paying me so I can't complain or vow to never return but I just think it is the height of bad manners!

Don't get me started.....my blood is boiling already just answering your post :mad:

my boyfriend does it and it annoys the living daylights out of me!

I guess people have different reasons for eating out. I don't often go to restaurants, so for me its about spending time with the person/people I am with. So in this instance, I would think it rude if someone was texting at the table. Unless it was an emergency.
If the person with me would rather spend time with the person at the other end of the phone, then they don't need to be in my company at that time.
I always find it sad when people go out for dinner and then don't talk to each other. But I respect that other people have different values.
My children know not to text, talk, email whilst sat at my dinner table. We don't get much time as it is.

I don't like it. Or if they are on Facebook or whatever instead of talking to the person they are with.

I don't mind if you have to tell someone something quickly but otherwise no xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek mobile app

It is absolutely not acceptable. If my other half did this in my company (not that he ever would) I would find it extremely rude and disrespectful.

Last edited:
I was out for a meal last week with my husband and a young couple at a table beside us couldn't seem to put their phones down. They were constantly texting which I thought was awful. In my own home texting does not happen while we are eating together. What thoughts do you all have on this?

I don't mind a quick text but can't stand people being on there phones constantly if we are supposed to be spending time together. Although I do sometimes think that when I'm having a meal with my boyfriend, we end up on a conversation where I then use my phone to google something or look at the calendar, or atm we or trying to fid a house so I'll be on rightmove or something like that and I always think other people will just think in being rude by using my phone when I'm not, it's a about or conversation!

I too think it is rude and indeed a good friend of mine did this ONCE when we were out to lunch and it was embarrassing to the point that I told her I would leave if she didn't put her phone away. She did put it away and yes I would have left.

I once heard this:

"The person whose calls/texts you always take is the person you are having the relationship with".

What did we do before we all had mobile phones?
Tbh, even if people just come to my house for a visit, why would they need to use their phones? If I'm too boring to talk to, go visit someone else. I'm sure I'll find something else to do with my time.

It's rude and disrespectful to be texting at the dinner table or at a restaurant!

It's called fubbing apparently. Was on the news recently. But yeah it's really rude!

I can understand people wanting to have their mobile phones close to hand for eg. emergencies or your children needing to be able to contact you if you are out to dinner or with friends. I have always explained to my children that their call to me must be for an emergency or something of significant importance. In a case like this I would let the party at my table know that I have received a text/call and excuse myself to take it and not hold the conversation at the table.

Otherwise, yes, I think it is extremely rude. We do not allow texting, surfing the net at the table and neither do we answer the land line phone whilst having a meal. It can go to voicemail if it is that important.

It is also annoying to have phones going off in a restaurant when you are trying to eat and converse.

I don't think phones should be anywhere near the dinner table! It's so ignorant I hate it. My OH does it all the time. Or we will visit my parents and he will sit on his phone not talking to anyone. It drives me crackers!!

Laura xx

I don't think phones should be anywhere near the dinner table! It's so ignorant I hate it. My OH does it all the time. Or we will visit my parents and he will sit on his phone not talking to anyone. It drives me crackers!!

Laura xx

Honestly, I would refuse to eat with him and I would ask him to stay at home when you visit your parents.

It's horrible. I only do it if it absolutely cannot wait, if it's a call I'd go outside or into the loos if it's a text it would be subtle & under the table. I also hate when people start eating when not all of the food has arrived!

Honestly, I would refuse to eat with him and I would ask him to stay at home when you visit your parents.

Tell me about it. So frustrating. Although I think he would probably prefer to stay at home haha can't win!!

Laura xx

Perhaps they were 'sexting' :wink2:

I've only just recently got the latest phone and as wonderful as it is, there is nothing that important (unless its life or death) that you need to be on your phone during a meal or even just having a coffee with somebody.

I notice all the time people on their mobiles whilst in company, I think its so rude.

I see mums at the school on their phones, their child walking behind them and they pay no attention to them, the child could be in the middle of the road for all they would notice.

Sometime in the future, kids will be born with phones instead of hands. lol

After watching this new Aussie drama "wonderland" we now have "fat night" Food Appreciation Nights where on entering the house you surrender your mobile so that you can sit and enjoy dinner and have a discussion with each other :):)

Latest posts

Back