Is it possible for my client to have really oily nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemsonline

Reaction score
I apply shellac on a particular client and it doesn't last! Do you know of a good dehydration technique for the nail bed?

I have a friend who has the same problem. Gel polish doesn't last well on her nails. It took me a while to realise that she had very sweaty/wet hands which gives her nails constant moisture and I think this affects her gel mani. Xxx

I use a primer on oily nails.

I know the most companys say that it ist not need, but on very oily nails it is.

I use a dehydrate and primer and then start the Polish.

Thank you! I will try a primer

As in just the primer you use when doing acrylics etc?

I'm sure I read somewhere that there is no such thing as "oily nails"

Shellac isn't suitable for everyone they may need extra strength with gel and then shellac on top?

Do you know if the client follows aftercare advice? There may be another reason why shellac doesn't last very well on her x

Nails do not have sebaceous glands so they cannot produce oil.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes they can. I have a client who has such oily nails when I have cured her shellac it comes straight off when I'm wiping the dispersion layer off. CND make a dehydrator that was recommended to me by my CND rep. and it works a bomb. You put it onto all the nails, extreme cases twice, and it draws the oils out. Then you scrub with scrub fresh to wipe the oils away. I for some reason have had a blank. Will get the name for you.

It's called nail fresh.

nail plates do not have sebaceous glands, and so aren't oily.
HOWEVER, they could have oil on them from the surrounding skin.
BUT there aren't any sebaceous glands there either as sebaceous glands are found at the bottom of hair follicles.
If there's oil, it's from elsewhere, or touching other things...

ALTHOUGH, they can be retaining an excessive amount of moisture. This could act as a deterrent with bonding if not sufficiently dehdydrated.
Be exceptionally thorough with Prep, EXCEPTIONALLY.
Be vigorous with cleansing and really SCRUB with the scrubfresh.
If necessary, try brushing nailfresh and IMMEDIATELY upon evaporation, apply the Shellac base to that nail.

ALSO the client's nails could be simply too soft and/or she is too rough and she needs something strong.
No singular system is a 'one size fits all'. This is true of everything in life and also applies to nail enhancement products.
ie: layer of Brisa Lite smoothing gel OR
An Enhancement system such as gel or l&p.

Thank you! I will try a primer

Please read what V wrote and all so please DO NOT use a primer with Shellac it is not part of the system .
X

Is the client on Thyroid medication? It has been proven that a side effect of Thyroxin can cause 'slippery' nail surfaces.

Thanks for all the advice, will scrap the primer idea and try nail fresh and maybe the brisa lite

Latest posts

Back