Is it possible to overcure Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophiechap

Reaction score
Hi is it possible to overcure top coat gelish? I was doing nails the other day and couldn’t remember if my lamp switched on to cure the top coat for 30 seconds (it’s the sensored 18g lamp) silly of me I know not to notice!! But I then asked the lady to put her nails in again do for 30secs. I’m just worried now that if it did cure the first time I have done it again and the top coat was under for 1 minute in total. Does anyone know if this would cause chipping or lifting? Thank you

On high shine top coats, like for example Light Elegance Super Shiny, it can cause the shine to dull down. But I don't see why it would cause chipping or peeling, since over curing doesn't mean curing something too long.

I've was taught you can't over cure gel polish but our resident clever geek Bob Sweden says different, and I trust his knowledge BUT i doubt curing twice in the correctly branded lamp is unlikely to be a problem occasionally. I've certainly lost track of curing routine on occasion and double cured for reassurance without any issues.

You can over cure the base coat which can lead to chipping but colour coat will be fine x

You can over cure the base coat which can lead to chipping but colour coat will be fine x

I was taught through all my various educators that over curing has to do with how quickly the product is heated up under the light, mostly through using an incorrect lamp and product match. Ergo the product may be exposed to light that is too strong, and harden too fast. This wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with how many minutes/seconds you cured the product (in the correct lamp).

Doug Schoon supports this as well:
http://www.schoonscientific.com/2014/can-uv-nail-gels-cured/

But I like to be as objective as possible and open to new information, but I have not seen anything to back up that a product can be cured too long (rather than too quickly). If anyone has any more information, it would benefit me a lot, since I'd love to learn more :)

I was taught through all my various educators that over curing has to do with how quickly the product is heated up under the light, mostly through using an incorrect lamp and product match. Ergo the product may be exposed to light that is too strong, and harden too fast. This wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with how many minutes/seconds you cured the product (in the correct lamp).

Doug Schoon supports this as well:
http://www.schoonscientific.com/2014/can-uv-nail-gels-cured/

But I like to be as objective as possible and open to new information, but I have not seen anything to back up that a product can be cured too long (rather than too quickly). If anyone has any more information, it would benefit me a lot, since I'd love to learn more :)

I was trained by and worked for nail harmony for 4 years, and that was what I was told.
I don’t know the science behind it, I’m just passing on information about the brand in question :) apparently the foundation layer if overcured can become brittle & chip ‍♀️

It was the top coat I could have cured for 1 minute, so it should be okay?

Latest posts

Back