Is it possible to start at level 2?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christine88

Reaction score
hi can anyonetell me if i could start at level 2 as im 20 and ive cut and dyed my friends hair many times before, i have 2 little girls and always cut my eldests hair, ive already sent an aplication for level 1 but a friend told this is very very basic stuff i alrady know, although ive never worked in a hairdressers is it possible i can start at level 2.
Entry requirements say
NVQ level 1 or relevent industry experience.
thanks.

at colleges they usually say you must have so many GCSE grades D or equivelent its something you would have to check out at your local college, im 20 and i applied for my level 2 straight away but i did a combine where they made me do my level 1 in with my level 2 so i get both qualifications thats another thing you would have to check out at your local college...but if you have the right grades there shouldnt be a problem i hope this helps hun if you have any Qz pm me :)

x

hi can anyonetell me if i could start at level 2 as im 20 and ive cut and dyed my friends hair many times before, i have 2 little girls and always cut my eldests hair, ive already sent an aplication for level 1 but a friend told this is very very basic stuff i alrady know, although ive never worked in a hairdressers is it possible i can start at level 2.
Entry requirements say
NVQ level 1 or relevent industry experience.
thanks.

Hi, I thought that level 1 and level 2 were combined within the same year nowadays ?
Level one is a usual requirement unless you have covered all your units in another salon or college ?
you would also have to learn the basic health and safety so its may be worth it to do the level one as it doesnt take long :)

hi thanks for the replies, my gcse's were 7d's and a c if that helps, im hoping to do ith through redcar cleveland college part time (i have 2 v young children and cant commit to fulltime) its 32weeks long, still in early stages of my aplication, maybe just se what the college says. thanks again:lol:

Hi christine , you can do it all part time too :hug:
level 1 includes a thorough consultation of the clients scalp and hair type
what types of equipment you will be using and how to safely prepare a client for treatments ect
choosing shampoos to use before perming or semi permanent colouring
you need to also cover any contraindications of why you shouldnt carry out treatments , these are just what i can remember and I am sure there are a few more too :)
hope this helps x

Hi, i went straight into my level 2 as a mature student in September (I'm 35). I do it part time 2 nights a week at my local college and I will be qualified in July. I was never asked to do level 1 and I think we cover it all in level 2 anyway. Good Luck.

how can you get away with missing one complete level ?

With all due respect I there is a lot more to hairdressing than popping a colour on or doing a quick trim , knowing about scalp and skin conditions contra indications H&S etc

I know it seems a pain having to do what seems the basics but thats the best place to start.

Sorry to sound like I'm having a rant but I hear many untrained people saying that they can cut or colour someones hair and it kinda rubs me up the wrong way ! :hug:

i thought ur level 1 and 2 were jus kinda done at the same time. . i was never given an option of doing a level one on its own. . .jus level two. 8 units, and then str8 onto level three. . . pne more piece of paperwork to do and thats finished too WOOP WOOP. . x

how can you get away with missing one complete level ?

With all due respect I there is a lot more to hairdressing than popping a colour on or doing a quick trim , knowing about scalp and skin conditions contra indications H&S etc

I know it seems a pain having to do what seems the basics but thats the best place to start.

Sorry to sound like I'm having a rant but I hear many untrained people saying that they can cut or colour someones hair and it kinda rubs me up the wrong way ! :hug:

i understand i need to know this information. i have dealt with health and safety before, im happy to do the basics and thats why i have already applied for level 1 i just thought id ask as people who have already done it have told me id be better starting at level 2.

level one isnt just health and safety, there are other units..
assisting with colour , assisting with perming, shampooing, i dont think you can skip these units.....if i went on to do level 2 without doing level one..i wouldnt know how to blow dry, wash colours out, nuetralise perms etc....
level one is usually completed in 6 months any way so why skip it ????

Latest posts

Back