Is it really Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrspip

Reaction score
Hello

My friend had a leaflet drop through her door for a treatment room/ mobile therapist in our area
On looking at her treatments I though they were a little cheap, £25.00 for a full set of gel or acrylic nails, luxury manicure for £18.00, so asked the girls at work if they thought she is, and they said the same as me

Anyway, this lady is apparently offering 'shallac', as it says on her leaflet for £15.00, I was always told a min of £25.00.

I'm not sure if this is a genuine shellac or not.
I know mine is the real thing, but I'm concerned that if hers is not the real thing, it could give shellac a bad name.
Should I ring and enquire or just forget about her?

Thanks geeks x

Hello

My friend had a leaflet drop through her door for a treatment room/ mobile therapist in our area
On looking at her treatments I though they were a little cheap, £25.00 for a full set of gel or acrylic nails, luxury manicure for £18.00, so asked the girls at work if they thought she is, and they said the same as me

Anyway, this lady is apparently offering 'shallac', as it says on her leaflet for £15.00, I was always told a min of £25.00.

I'm not sure if this is a genuine shellac or not.
I know mine is the real thing, but I'm concerned that if hers is not the real thing, it could give shellac a bad name.
Should I ring and enquire or just forget about her?

Thanks geeks x

There have been quotes on here of £8 and £10 for shellac (application only, no filing/cuticle work).

It demonstrates perfectly how continued under-cutting (and a lack of confidence in both themselves and their products) leads to ridiculous prices and techs working for nothing. But, just because she's cheap doesn't necessarily mean that she's not using the genuine products, just not her business sense ;)

Hiya maybe it's a special offer or she's trying to undercut other salons /nail techs in the area I know quite a few salons in our area that drop shellac to £15 at certain times of the year

Let's assume she is using the genuine article - will it harm your business?

When you get your hair done, do you always go the cheapest salon or mobile hairdresser? Me neither!

In my experience, the clients who will go to the cheapest place every time will not come to you anyway, no matter how good you are, they are just looking for cheap, discounts, special offers, etc. They are rarely loyal long-term customers.

Continue to offer the best of service at the prices you are charging, giving adequate time to your client and her service and you will keep attracting the right clientele - those who return time and time again AND recommend you to their friends:biggrin:

You are all so right.
Thanks for your thoughts in this one- puts my mind at ease

Is £25 cheap for gel?!! I'm new to all this but that's what I was thinking of charging!

I think it all depends on your area & what others charge. I charge £18 for shellac & £23 for rockstar, foils nail art etc. That is the going rate in my area & the salons local to me are using the full service. I am happy with this price as my rent is low so I still make a nice profit.:biggrin:

Is £25 cheap for gel?!! I'm new to all this but that's what I was thinking of charging!

No one in my area would ever pay that for just a shellac or gelish.

I was talking about Brisa hard gel. I thought £25 was about the right price for shellac- do you mean people wouldn't pay that much?!

I was talking about Brisa hard gel. I thought £25 was about the right price for shellac- do you mean people wouldn't pay that much?!

Lucybluebell, on exactly what are you basing the price you have thought about charging? I charged 35PS for my enhancement work 30 years ago for Pete's sake! You might go to 25 for your first 6 months of business to gain experience but a CND trained technician should not be charging such a silly price as a regular thing! Any old average nail tech might charge that, but not a CND technician using CND products. Top education and top products command top prices .... and get it!

Most places in my area charge about £40 for a full set of either gels or acrylics, and one of the places is a shop run by non English people, not sure on nationality, and I've heard that they dont use the top if the range or best quality products. I haven't been there so couldn't say, but it's only what I've heard, so if they charge £40, I would expect to pay more than £25 if using top quality products like CND

Most places in my area charge about £40 for a full set of either gels or acrylics, and one of the places is a shop run by non English people, not sure on nationality, and I've heard that they dont use the top if the range or best quality products. I haven't been there so couldn't say, but it's only what I've heard, so if they charge £40, I would expect to pay more than £25 if using top quality products like CND

Mobile or home tech price in my area that I've seen is about £15-20 for gelish, shellac.. More in salons obviously but I don't think I've seen more than £25 for a gel manicure.. A girl I have on fb was complaining because a home technician charges £35ps of acrylics, and she thought this was ridiculous because "she doesn't even have a salon, she only works from home" x

Mobile or home tech price in my area that I've seen is about £15-20 for gelish, shellac.. More in salons obviously but I don't think I've seen more than £25 for a gel manicure.. A girl I have on fb was complaining because a home technician charges £35ps of acrylics, and she thought this was ridiculous because "she doesn't even have a salon, she only works from home" x

I suppose It does depend on where you are. This seems to be a major factor.
It shouldn't matter if you have a salon or are mobile. Why should you not charge £25/£35 for a full set if you are using good product and you and your work are worth it

I suppose It does depend on where you are. This seems to be a major factor.
It shouldn't matter if you have a salon or are mobile. Why should you not charge £25/£35 for a full set if you are using good product and you and your work are worth it

Too right, people are just cheeky! There is a lot of home beauticians in my area all competing and constantly undercutting each other... To the point that I seen semipermanent eyelashes for £15!!!

X

Too right, people are just cheeky! There is a lot of home beauticians in my area all competing and constantly undercutting each other... To the point that I seen semipermanent eyelashes for £15!!!

X

Because they are not business people ... they are playing at something they know nothing about ... not got the first idea. Let them slit each others throats ...

I have always charged what my work and my time are WORTH and to hell with what anyone else does. I have always believed in myself and my abilities, I have always implicitly trusted the products I use (once I changed to CND) and I have always made a good living (not pin money) out of my business.

Do take note of who is giving advice ... those who have done well and proven themselves or those who have been in the business for two minutes and have yet to back up the statements they make with any solid evidence.

I have only just qualified and although I'm improving all the time I feel that £25 is right. When I've done my conversion course and I'm using all CND products and Brisa then I will raise my prices. Sorry Ive re read my post and I was very unclear lol

Because they are not business people ... they are playing at something they know nothing about ... not got the first idea. Let them slit each others throats ...

I have always charged what my work and my time are WORTH and to hell with what anyone else does. I have always believed in myself and my abilities, I have always implicitly trusted the products I use (once I changed to CND) and I have always made a good living (not pin money) out of my business.

Do take note of who is giving advice ... those who have done well and proven themselves or those who have been in the business for two minutes and have yet to back up the statements they make with any solid evidence.

Here here!
The voice of experience speaks- I know to take notice of advice given here (& at anytime by geeg)
I completely agree.

Latest posts

Back