Is it too early to call it a day?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missy_s

Reaction score
Hi all!
Just looking for some advice really. I started renting a room and nail table in a local salon in march. First month I made a small profit, second month I made a loss. Im only doing 2 days a week, friday and Saturday but im so slow/quiet im wondering if ive made a mistake in renting the room.

I can only work 2 days as its all I vould afford rent wise and nursery fee wise. The salon its self fairly busy on those days and most of my busw comes from people having their hair done. Do you think I should wait a bit longer or call it quits now? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

What are you doing to raise your profile? Why do you think you were busy in the first month and not the second? Are you doing any follow-up bookings?

I'm asking this as I'm about to take on a room.

The second month I had easter weekend where the salon was very quiet for everyone and then there was a weekend where only me and junior were in so it made for a slow month.

Ive done some flyers/cards which ive given out. Theres also posters ect in salon and their fb page. But iam going to sort out my own page this weekend as I think this may help? X

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's defo too soon hun

I have been in salon since November and it's only been the last couple of months that things have started looking up mainly due to some offers I put on which attracted then to book and now they are regulars :)

I'd say way to early! Nothing comes for free and you need to work at it! A Facebook page of your own and doing your own marketing is a must! You can't just rely on the son to push business as I'm sure they're main focus would be there own business!

I'd do an introductory offer - possibly do a 1 off free treatment ask people to share it fb page to be in with a chance of winning

Stick at it Hun x

It is too soon, but that all depends on if you can manage financially.

New businesses arent expected to make a profit in the 1st year. As your set up/outgoings are high.

Does the salon have a late night? Could you take the space on for an evening? Alot of my clients (I'm mobile though) finish work on a Friday in spring/summer & head off to their caravan for the weekend.

As mentioned above promote yourself, if there are local houses leaflet drop if you have a free space in your diary, introduce yourself to any local businesses.

Take a look at Lynne's thread more ways to promote your business.

Advertise online, Facebook, Twitter, online free ads. Do you have a website?

Xx

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but a lot of people I have known over the years set up in a salon and think all the salon's clients will come to them for treatments, like they never have beauty treatments. You need to look outside the box. Don't assume that as the salon is quiet, you will be too. Make your own website - there are loads of free ones - link it to the salons site. Do fb, fliers, local ads. You did amazingly well to profit so early on, and you perhaps thought it would come easy, but it won't. People need to know you're there. You need to use so many forms of advertising - it is definitely not a one size fits all!

We have an A board outside. The client I did last night said she drove past it for 2 years, meaning to call and book, but never did. She no longer drives past as she has changed jobs. We put an ad in the local mag, which she read, recognised the business name and booked. You need to be everywhere - the first person that people think of when they think of nails, and that takes time - not 3 months sitting in a salon.
A lot of businesses don't expect to profit in their first year of trading, so you're doing well!

Good luck

Vicki x

Its far to soon i set up self employed 4 years ago i literally do not stop in work now am always busy but when i first started i was quiet and had to rebuild my clientele from scratch as i moved areas!

Am so glad i kept at it and i absolutely love my job its all about talking to ppl.
While there getting there hair done dont be sitting round doing nothing make ur self look busy give urself a treatment and get ppl asking what ur doing? Do a set of shallac...no- can resist he shine u get of them? If clients connect with u as a person that when they will say oh can u do me a quick wax while am here??

Good luck hun

I started up on 6 the April and my little girl is at nursery for just the two days as well. All my business has come through Gumtree, Yell and my website. Yell was free, Gumtree I paid £9.00 as I'm in London and my website is through Wix which you can have free or pay a monthly fee. I'm also on Twitter and Instagram and Google + You need to be constantly marketing yourself and making sure your business name pops up as much as possible in the search engines. Link your website to all of your ads and display all your nail work and your salon set up. I only do spray tanning and nails but so far I've had a really good first month! Good luck you'll be fine :) Just keep plugging away and promote, promote, promote xx

I started off in a hair salon renting a small room at the back. I used to sit out at the reception and help the hairdressers getting gowns making tea etc getting my face known and getting to know their clients. Back then there was no social media and advertising was so expensive I would go in to work at 9.00 even if I had no one in and just became a member of the team. That was 26 yrs ago I still have clients I made from those early days. I know it is a more competitive market these days but hang in there you have to give it a lot longer to see a result

I echo what others have said. I don't think you've done enough marketing and to be seen tbh. Nothing comes for free and nothing good in life comes easily. As you can see most of us have had to slog hard at the beginning.

I also started full time nails and beauty on the 6th April and I'm in London. I've had a good first month, and (touch wood) May looks to be positive as well. But I've invested heavily in marketing and getting seen. I've done leaflets business cards, gumtree, yell (which I paid for) my own website which I spent a lot of time doing SEO for, I did free nails for business owners and people who can help me out, as a result one person offered to distribute my leaflets for free and one was a wedding planner who advertised me across her networks, I do neighbours and local peoples nails at a reduced price which helped spread the word. I do special offers and deals. I donated prizes of free nails for school and charity raffles. I meet and network with other nail techs and therapists in London & we all help each other out and cross promote each other which is really helpful. It's good to see other techs as companions rather than competition.

It's all about attitude if you ask me, if you have a good & positive attitude clients will see this and re book you as well as telling their friends.

I'm no way in profit and don't expect to be this year and probably not the next, but I'm making my investment money back and some to live off. It's hard work, it's constant but to me that's part of the joy of it all! I thrive on the challenge!

I'm also looking at setting up in a salon after working at home for nearly 3 years but I'm scared of losing the income I get at the moment. When you say the salon isn't in profit does this mean you take nothing from the business? If this is the case then I need to seriously consider my options. :sad:

I'm also looking at setting up in a salon after working at home for nearly 3 years but I'm scared of losing the income I get at the moment. When you say the salon isn't in profit does this mean you take nothing from the business? If this is the case then I need to seriously consider my options. :sad:

Your not normally likely to take anything from a business at least for 24 months. The months you do turn a profit will probably pay the over heads when you aren't so busy.

Maybe better staying as I am then, don't really have any overheads working from home but then don't get the exposure I wanted or the room to expand, all my clientele is from word of mouth :irked:

Just find it hard trying to portray a professional image when I have a very busy house going on in the background, doesn't always work when I've my very posh ladies and the kids are arguing in the next room :irked:

So no one ever takes a wage for themselves in the first few years? How do you live?!!!

Maybe better staying as I am then, don't really have any overheads working from home but then don't get the exposure I wanted or the room to expand, all my clientele is from word of mouth :irked:

Just find it hard trying to portray a professional image when I have a very busy house going on in the background, doesn't always work when I've my very posh ladies and the kids are arguing in the next room :irked:

So no one ever takes a wage for themselves in the first few years? How do you live?!!!

I wouldn't say never...
Might get minimum wage? The idea is to re-invest in the business.
If your going to premises you want 6 months money in the bank to cover all overheads.

I understand what you're saying, it's tough. I personally think in your situation you're probably best as is.

I have been reading the posts on this site for while. Not had the confidence to post myself but here we go. My local nail salon offered a free infill every 5 appointments. This was done on a card for the client to take away. It was usually an infill but on the odd occasion a full set was required they just did it. That made me feel important. They were my friends, we bonded.ha ha. I am not an idiot, and understand they are running a business. But hey, I like my nails and I would feel like a traitor going anywhere else.
Sent fromy GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I moved from a home salon to a rented room about 3 years ago. I had worked from home for about 10 years and it was going really well. My circumstances changed so had to move my work out of home. I was in the rented room for just over 2 years and then we moved to our current premises which is a lovely barn conversion. We are busy. I work really long hours and employ my daughter who is also really busy. I have never been so skint. There is huge pressure to continually keep up a high level of clients so we advertise a lot via loads of mediums - Facebook, leaflet drops, website, promotions. My head is exploding with the ideas I have for my business. So much so that my daughter now writes them in her phone lest we forget. We are looking at expanding. Why am I so skint. Realistically we are in our first year as a proper business. We went Ltd at the beginning of the year which has been a good move for us. I am living off a really low wage. I can see the light at the end of a very long tunnel but I'm not even close yet. Our turnover is high but so are our expenses.
To sum it up, I have never been as rich as I was working from home. Moving into a shop may be a good move for you LONGTERM but please don't believe that you will move premises and have anything like the spare cash you have now. You may in the future!
Finally, would I do it again. Absolutely as I employ my daughter which is fab and we are building a cracking little business!
I'm not saying don't do it, just be realistic.

Vicki x

I moved from a home salon to a rented room about 3 years ago. I had worked from home for about 10 years and it was going really well. My circumstances changed so had to move my work out of home. I was in the rented room for just over 2 years and then we moved to our current premises which is a lovely barn conversion. We are busy. I work really long hours and employ my daughter who is also really busy. I have never been so skint. There is huge pressure to continually keep up a high level of clients so we advertise a lot via loads of mediums - Facebook, leaflet drops, website, promotions. My head is exploding with the ideas I have for my business. So much so that my daughter now writes them in her phone lest we forget. We are looking at expanding. Why am I so skint. Realistically we are in our first year as a proper business. We went Ltd at the beginning of the year which has been a good move for us. I am living off a really low wage. I can see the light at the end of a very long tunnel but I'm not even close yet. Our turnover is high but so are our expenses.
To sum it up, I have never been as rich as I was working from home. Moving into a shop may be a good move for you LONGTERM but please don't believe that you will move premises and have anything like the spare cash you have now. You may in the future!
Finally, would I do it again. Absolutely as I employ my daughter which is fab and we are building a cracking little business!
I'm not saying don't do it, just be realistic.

Vicki x
Thank you so much this has been the best advice so far.. It really does scare the hell out of me as I hate financial insecurity. I already have a good client base and the man who owns the shop (which has been empty for 5 years) is extremely willing on creating the foundations of a really nice salon, with fairly reasonable rent. Everyone I speak says I should just do it, I'm not afraid of hard work by any means and to be honest at the minute I'm fitting people in to suit them and not me as I'm scared to turn them away.. so I end up working ridiculous hours :cry:

Some days I think its a really good idea and other days my heart sinks with lack of confidence

Latest posts

Back