Is it worth doing a level 1 course? (teaching/cpd question)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
I've been in the industry for five years and I'm a fully qualified beauty therapist. My makeup training to date is vtct level 3 qualifications in fashion and photographic makeup and airbrush makeup. Ultimately I am wanting to teach (evening courses only!) in college.

I have the chance to do vtct level 1 in themed face painting. I would LOVE to do this because it is something I am very keen to add to my makeup skills. However I am also aware that there is a vtct level 3 qualification in face and body art that I might be better off doing. I'm not sure though because it is more expensive, I'm not that interested in doing body art due to my mobility limitations and I'm not sure that I need to be level 3 qualified in all types of makeup considering most colleges only offer the types of makeup I am already qualified in as evening courses.

The level 1 course is in line with my interests but for the purpose of teaching employment opportunities I'm worried that I'll be cutting myself short if I don't do it as the level 3 qualification.

What would you do? Feedback very much appreciated :)

I would recommend you go straight for the level 3 course.
The level 1 will be way to easy for you and wouldn't be of value for teaching later.

I would recommend you go straight for the level 3 course.
The level 1 will be way to easy for you and wouldn't be of value for teaching later.

Thanks.

It feels like a tricky decision because level 3 would be the ideal because it holds value for teaching.

Thing is though, level 3 face and body art is never taught as a separate unit/evening/part time course in FE so I'm not sure if it is something that I would have the opportunity to teach anyway.

At the moment, doing level 3 would be quite heavy on my budget (as much as I'd love to do it) whereas with level 1 I wouldn't really feel a pinch from doing it. I was thinking that as someone who is wanting to teach fashion and photographic makeup (as that is more commonly offered as an evening course in FE) that the level 1 in themed face painting would be good cpd for working with a wider range of mediums and showing that I'm not reserved in being more creative.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on this with those extra factors in mind (I am aiming to eventually teach only part time evening courses due to health constraints).

Thanks.

It feels like a tricky decision because level 3 would be the ideal because it holds value for teaching.

Thing is though, level 3 face and body art is never taught as a separate unit/evening/part time course in FE so I'm not sure if it is something that I would have the opportunity to teach anyway.

At the moment, doing level 3 would be quite heavy on my budget (as much as I'd love to do it) whereas with level 1 I wouldn't really feel a pinch from doing it. I was thinking that as someone who is wanting to teach fashion and photographic makeup (as that is more commonly offered as an evening course in FE) that the level 1 in themed face painting would be good cpd for working with a wider range of mediums and showing that I'm not reserved in being more creative.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on this with those extra factors in mind (I am aiming to eventually teach only part time evening courses due to health constraints).

Hi,

http://qualifications.vtct.org.uk/finder/qualfinder/1Record of Assessment Book/AB10091.pdf

I would suggest you go onto the VTCT link above and look at the content of the level 1 qualification. It is very simple.
This would be very limited in the mediums and techniques you would use. This is a qualification we would do with the school kids at age 14 when they came to college for a few taster sessions. As a level 3 type therapist you could complete this in an afternoon!

More and more College courses are including units to do with face and body art, often linking with the College's Production Arts department and shows.
If you plan to teach then the more skills you can offer the more potential you will have to get teaching hours.
Full time beauty courses often run through into evenings (we used to teach up until 9 pm to fit in all the classes) so don't assume that only part time courses run at night.

Hope that helps,
x

(taking my curriculum co-coordinator's hat off now)

Hi,

http://qualifications.vtct.org.uk/finder/qualfinder/1Record of Assessment Book/AB10091.pdf

I would suggest you go onto the VTCT link above and look at the content of the level 1 qualification. It is very simple.
This would be very limited in the mediums and techniques you would use. This is a qualification we would do with the school kids at age 14 when they came to college for a few taster sessions. As a level 3 type therapist you could complete this in an afternoon!

More and more College courses are including units to do with face and body art, often linking with the College's Production Arts department and shows.
If you plan to teach then the more skills you can offer the more potential you will have to get teaching hours.
Full time beauty courses often run through into evenings (we used to teach up until 9 pm to fit in all the classes) so don't assume that only part time courses run at night.

Hope that helps,
x

(taking my curriculum co-coordinator's hat off now)

Thanks :) yeah the level 1 course looks fun but the level 3 is definitely meatier. I just wish I could find somewhere near me that offered the level 3 as a fast track course.

If you're going to teach... you'll meed at least PTLLS... although..they've probably chang3d the name now.....

If you're going to teach... you'll meed at least PTLLS... although..they've probably chang3d the name now.....

It's called level 3 award in education and training now.

I'm in the process of doing the level 4 certificate and then the level 5 diploma makes someone fully qualified.

I like to keep my options open in terms of what I can teach. With the teaching qualification being a general one, you can teach anything that you are suitably qualified and experienced in.

Latest posts

Back