Is it worth staying? Dilemma!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tlx

Reaction score
I currently rent a chair in a salon, amazing rates. The problem is the owner can be rude and quite offensive, homophobic and just really mean about other people. I’ve expressed my views and she just doesn’t see an issue she believes in ‘freedom of speech’ but infront of clients is so wrong. I feel like maybe my name will get tarnished in the long run. She also has put me down a couple of times to clients. I recently won a competition and she kept saying we had won the competition on social media and to others and people were saying well done u work so hard. She never said once it was my entry I was just representing the salon. I feel abit stuck, the city I live in there isn’t much salons and I have children so have to be mindful of hours but I really feel the energy in the salon is bringing me down. No one stays more than 6 months, I’ve stuck it out 2 years. What would you do?

I would look for somewhere else and then decide. If you haven't got another option to consider then you've got no choice.

Are you fully booked? If you moved and had to pay the going rate, how many more clients would you need to see in a week? Is that feasible? If you put your prices up by £1 would that cover the extra?

Why aren't you looking around? If it's all too much effort and you're happy with your return bookings and take home money, why worry? After all, your clients only have to put up with her for an hour every 6 weeks.

These things can sap your confidence and bring down your standards, so try and take a step back and evaluate.

I’m looking now and messaged a few salons I’m just worried I suppose. Some weeks I’m fully booked, I could have more clientele which is worrying me about moving.
Some of my clients don’t notice how bad she is some are scared to call the salon because she snaps.
I’ve had mental health issues in the past and it is playing on my anxiety and confidence.
I feel like I need to make the leap but scared I’ll fail miserably! Also telling her, she’s very aggressive but I have signed no contract.

I wouldn't advise anyone to stay in a toxic environment. It's a terrible strain.

Get all your ducks in a row. Make sure your clients have contact details for you and setup a Facebook page. Make sure it says "Award winning"... Your clients can message you through Facebook to book. Tell them this.

Get an independent identity established for yourself. Worry about the rest later. All these what ifs and maybes are unhelpful and they are stopping you from taking any positive steps to take back control of your business.

I would look for somewhere else and then decide. If you haven't got another option to consider then you've got no choice.

Are you fully booked? If you moved and had to pay the going rate, how many more clients would you need to see in a week? Is that feasible? If you put your prices up by £1 would that cover the extra?

Why aren't you looking around? If it's all too much effort and you're happy with your return bookings and take home money, why worry? After all, your clients only have to put up with her for an hour every 6 weeks.

These things can sap your confidence and bring down your standards, so try and take a step back and evaluate.

Agree with Duchess. Life is too short to be treated this way.

My ladies and gents are the life and soul of my business so when I rented a room and the owner started moaning at one of my ladies, banged on the door when I was massaging and yelling, then had the cheek to tell me that her clients come first and kept pooing, stinking o the place and sitting around the office in her pajamas with the door open to the shop window- I was like no love I’m your client and obviously I’m not important to you so I will no longer be paying your bills! See ya! She cried and tried to hug me when I left and couldn’t understand it. Was really strange. No point being around it, it’s only going to damage your biz. Some people have no idea what they are doing and I genuinely don’t know how they stay afloat speaking to people like that.

Latest posts

Back