Is my client taking advantage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pretty-Smooth

Spray Tans By Emma
Reaction score
I just wanted some opinions and also to have a rant. I'm kind of annoyed. I am a mobile nail technician and I do not have a salon room where I live.

A couple of days ago I did a girl who I knew from
Schools sculpted acrylic nails. She's not really a friend just a girl I knew from school. I did her nails and knocked some money off the price for her. In less than 24 hours she has messaged me to say 3 of her nails just fell off. I, and many others know that acrylics don't just fall off, they would either be ripped off, caught on something or a trauma to them causing the tip to crack off. Obviously, I'm not going to call her a liar, but in all my time doing nails I've never had a client come to me with this problem. I want to keep her satisfied as my customer so I offer to do a completely new set from scratch and so all her nail art free of charge. I only charged her £20 in the first place for what I'd charge £30. She agrees to this and asks me to go to hers today at 10.30

I tell her to let me know if she is running late, but that I'd be there at 10.30. I drive to her house 20 mins from where I live and she is not there. I message and let her know I'm there. She tells me she's running late and asks if she can come to my house. I don't want to waste more petrol and reluctantly agree she can come to my house as I had other things to do anyway. I ask her to tell me what time she can come so I can make sure I plan my day accordingly. She then says that she doesn't know what time and asks if I can just go to hers later this evening. I know I need to try to keep my clients happy and I want them to like their nails and I don't want bad reviews but I feel like this kind of treatment wouldn't happen in a salon.

Am I just being big baby about it or is she taking advantage?

She's taking the p I would say. She could of let you know she wasn't going too be home. I'd say no sorry I can happily do you at home but I can't come back out again sorry xxx

Taking advantage, I think she's being very cheeky. I think you've been really reasonable and done everything you can to keep her happy, like you should. However, you're not her personal nail tech that should be running all over the place for her. She can't keep changing the plan, that is so rude. And as for her saying she has no idea what time she'll be in when you're supposed to be going to her house, what the hell?!

Thanks girls. She's still not given me an exact time so if she doesn't I might just offer her a refund instead. I don't think I would rebook her. I just don't want her to give me a bad review

This is a client you definitely don't want!
Have you actually seen a photo of the problems nails?
If she was that concerned about getting them fixed she would be there for the appointment.
Obviously just a time waster.

I would say that I was full until January but will send a £20 voucher made out to her and sent to her home address as a gesture of goodwill (do not admit any fault with your work).
She will not use the voucher and you will never she her again. Log all your actions and the history of the problem on her record card for future reference in case you need it.

I work from home on a small basis and to have some clout with these annoying clients I implemented a cancellation policy. I can now inform them of how much they owe me if they do not turn up for an appointment. I charge 75% of the full cost if they are a no show. I know they wont pay this but it means they can never come back to me unless they pay up.

Your first big mistake was discounting the price because you know her from school....
Don't give any discounts if you want people to take your business seriously!
You've treated her as if you're desperate for her business by trying to accommodate her every whim. She's never going to treat you respectfully now.

That was a whacking discount, a third off!' [emoji33]

Maybe I missed something but why did you offer to do a whole new set instead of re-doing the 3 that came off?

But anyway I think she was very rude and disrespectful, definitely. I would not make yourself available whenever she snaps her fingers - she missed her chance to get them fixed, now she can wait. Don't let her think you're doing nothing and are free to fix her at any time (even if you are, which I'm sure you're not lol but you get my drift!)

Love CFBS's voucher idea[emoji175] and cancellation policy and I agree with every one of AcidPerm' words.

Value and respect yourself and your business more. Xx

I just wanted some opinions and also to have a rant. I'm kind of annoyed. I am a mobile nail technician and I do not have a salon room where I live.

Schools sculpted acrylic nails. She's not really a friend just a girl I knew from school. I did her nails and knocked some money off the price for her. In less than 24 hours she has messaged me to say 3 of her nails just fell off. I, and many others know that acrylics don't just fall off, they would either be ripped off, caught on something or a trauma to them causing the tip to crack off. Obviously, I'm not going to call her a liar, but in all my time doing nails I've never had a client come to me with this problem. I want to keep her satisfied as my customer so I offer to do a completely new set from scratch and so all her nail art free of charge. I only charged her £20 in the first place for what I'd charge £30. She agrees to this and asks me to go to hers today at 10.30

I tell her to let me know if she is running late, but that I'd be there at 10.30. I drive to her house 20 mins from where I live and she is not there. I message and let her know I'm there. She tells me she's running late and asks if she can come to my house. I don't want to waste more petrol and reluctantly agree she can come to my house as I had other things to do anyway. I ask her to tell me what time she can come so I can make sure I plan my day accordingly. She then says that she doesn't know what time and asks if I can just go to hers later this evening. I know I need to try to keep my clients happy and I want them to like their nails and I don't want bad reviews but I feel like this kind of treatment wouldn't happen in a salon.

Am I just being big baby about it or is she taking the piss?

Am I just being big baby about it or is she taking advantage?

That was a whacking discount, a third off!'
emoji33.png

Maybe I missed something but why did you offer to do a whole new set instead of re-doing the 3 that came off?

But anyway I think she was very rude and disrespectful, definitely. I would not make yourself available whenever she snaps her fingers - she missed her chance to get them fixed, now she can wait. Don't let her think you're doing nothing and are free to fix her at any time (even if you are, which I'm sure you're not lol but you get my drift!)

Love CFBS's voucher idea
emoji175.png
and cancellation policy and I agree with every one of AcidPerm' words.

Value and respect yourself and your business more. Xx
Your first big mistake was discounting the price because you know her from school....
Don't give any discounts if you want people to take your business seriously!
You've treated her as if you're desperate for her business by trying to accommodate her every whim. She's never going to treat you respectfully now.
yep I definitely learnt my lesson the hard way here!

yep I definitely learnt my lesson the hard way here!

The good thing is you don't tend to forget it lol

I know I did similar things, now after 13 year's experience and far too much time on this brilliant site, I've toughened up! [emoji4]

I hate to sound harsh but you gave it to her on a plate initially, which then maybe gave her the impression you were "at fault" or maybe didn't take your business seriously or value your service!? Hopefully you will have learnt a valuable lesson from this, which will put you on the right path for the rest of your career! Good luck! AND THE MOST IMPORTANT LESSON OF ALL ......NO DISCOUNTS & DEFINITELY NO FREEBIES!!! X

I find it is always the people and such who you do special prices for that always complain or always have "problem" they usually un cooperative and don't make it easy dealing with the issues.

I think stuck to your full prices for everyone except your mum or maybe best friend. I learnt the hard way!

Also I think Her not being there is very rude, I would honestly not see her again. This actually happened to me same story you re told : I have special price bcoz they "short of x amount , then week later somehow they fell off ... (she going over seas next day so clearly wanted a free set ) then I gave her an appointment , she didn't pitch then has the cheek to rock up at 5pm at my house hooting and screaming out the by the gate calling saying I HAVE to re do them.
I called the police ! Had her removed.
Don't p on my battery and harass me with rude photos calls and threats then come to my house ! Yoh! She upset the wrong person.
That was 7 years ago , never happened again I learnt and hope she won't try stalk her next nail tech again ether!

Good luck and don't let it upset you, I know it is so difficult to not get upset but really it is not your problem anymore , you have her an app and she missed that. If she makes a new one then needs to pay for it. End of story', she doesn't like that then go somewhere else. You not exactly loosin a client are you? So don't get walked on like a carpet .

I agree with nailpod, I wouldn't see her again. Imagine her as a regular client [emoji33]

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes

Really sounds like the kind of client you don't want, I have recently learnt the hard way that doing even a slight discount for people you know will lead to them treating you like you're their on call nail tech who they expect to be available whatever time they like

I too am mobile. You have more than tried to rectify the problem. If it was me I would tell her that as you are running a business your time is chargeable and unless she keeps the next apt agreed you will be unable to do repairs foc. Then you will see how genuine she is. Its hard but you have to know when to draw the line or you will not make money.

I find it is always the people and such who you do special prices for that always complain or always have "problem" they usually un cooperative and don't make it easy dealing with the issues.
Sad fact is, our services SHOULD be well priced. So, when someone gets something so cheaply, they don't appreciate it because they haven't had to pay anywhere near full price. It holds no value for them and it makes them think that they'll just get the next set as cheap again.

I would not do her nails again. That's just plain disrespectful of her to have been out - and it perfectly demonstrates her mentality toward you. She's treating your business like its a hobby.

Well said linzi

Latest posts

Back