Is my hairdressing tutor right? College tutors help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am coming towards the end of
vrq and it has been brilliant.

we were doing friends and family from 4 weeks Into the course (with guidance obviously ) and members of
the public not Long after.

we HAVE to do all assessments on clients. and we can not use other members of the class

We have done pretty much the same as above during our VRQ (no blocks or classmates for our assessments). We get no help from our tutor when selecting colors or discussing cuts etc for our assessments. We have to know base shades/target shades/types of color/where they sit in the cortex & cuticle/mixing ratios/cutting angles - we are quizzed after each assessment.

We have done all our theory (apart from stock control etc) and our assessments only started over the past 6 weeks (we were doing clients long before so had time to get loads of practise and experience before being marked). I still have about half my assessments to go - all done on paying clients and all have been distinctions (mainly down to the fact that the college tutors have prepared us well).

The answer to the question of why I am doing a VRQ is... I am a mature student and nobody wants to pay my (slighter more) minimum wage hence no NVQ for me!

I feel very lucky to have my college tutors based on some feedback here!

I am just going into my 5th month of learning vrq level 2 hairdressing. I realise that it is a new course, but i have been very patient with my college tutor so far, but tonight at college has really made me wander whether she should be teaching the course at all.

At college this evening even after being told that we are doing colouring unit before the end of this course in December, and our logbooks saying we have to do a quasi/semi, a permanent colour and a lightner, Our tutor told us that we will not be actually using actual colour and will just be running through the motions with henna wax. This does not sound right to me.

What are everyone elses views?

Forgot to answer the original question :)
At the start of our course - we practised foiling with talc/conditioner... full head color with conditioner - we moved onto coloring each other after several tedious lessons, then onto real clients and real colors... be patient...

Also, as part of our assessment it was not only to apply the colour or lightner, we had to identify the clients base colour, take into consideration tones in teh hair both naturally and consider any artifical colour which was on their, pick out the suitable icolour/s for application, explain to teh tutor why we had chosen the target shades, and mix the colours/ bleach our selves, which means a high level of understanding on colors, tones, the colour wheel, which peroxide level for how many shades of lift or diposit of colour, what mixing ratio to use for different ranges - quasi or permenant.

Personally i feel if i had been taught the way you are i would never have got to grips with teh colouring, its a hands on treatment and

I am just going into my 5th month of learning vrq level 2 hairdressing. I realise that it is a new course, but i have been very patient with my college tutor so far, but tonight at college has really made me wander whether she should be teaching the course at all.

At college this evening even after being told that we are doing colouring unit before the end of this course in December, and our logbooks saying we have to do a quasi/semi, a permanent colour and a lightner, Our tutor told us that we will not be actually using actual colour and will just be running through the motions with henna wax. This does not sound right to me.

What are everyone elses views?

I'm not a fan of these quals, I think a lot or trainee's are passed on units to make it look good and be easier for the tutor BUT you said your not doing this till December, that's a good few months to be taught and understand colouring basics, will you not be using blocks/ clients at all for your practical ? You need to ask before putting your tutor down. X oh and yes, lots of students start foiling, applying colour with cond. etc x

Oh dear...why do I fear for the industry standards fight now?

No Blue, notat all. I feel i am satisfied with my VRQ and i feel sorry for th estudents who havent been taught to the standard that i have. I can now see wh ythere is so much contraversy over the diferent quals not been up to standard - when in fact in my eyes now some college are not upto a good standard of training, luckily mine have been fantastic.

Whoop, on a lighter note, my first day i nthe salon tomorrow, my VRQ had proved sucessful, along with my trade test which i passed.

x

Amore, you are very lucky to be in a good college but if you are doing everything a nvq does then why are you not doing a nvq qualification? Just asking as a bit confused now ;)

The college i attend is only offering VRQ Level l2 then to prigress onto 1 year level 2 NVQ for your second year. However the college still trains to the NVQ Standad as they feel it is important to push us to this level which will also help us get through our second year on the NVQ Easier with a head start.

I've seen 5 students that have "passed" these qualifications in my area in the last 3 weeks and I'm truly horrified and saddened they think that have a qualification! No customer service skills! Very little knowledge of what they would be expected to do in a salon, this could be my area!

I've been wandering about vrq's as its what my college seems to do now, but i did an NVQ level 2 there, and i thought it was really bad, loads of theory, which i no you gotta do, but doing practical alongside makes you understand the theory your doing!! We did no perming, and we did assesments pretty much straight after doing one cut on a betty head, was far from competent in doing colours and they expected us to do it on paying clients!! And when we asked questions if we werent sure, they just said you need to work it out yourself, but thats tricky when you aint got a clue what your doing!! I'm 23 and want to finish level 2, but dont no they best way about it, NVQ, VRQ or apprentice! but fromwhat ive been reading, vrq are not worth the paper there write on!! lol xx

Latest posts

Back