Is my hairdressing tutor right? College tutors help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francesca1990

Reaction score
I am just going into my 5th month of learning vrq level 2 hairdressing. I realise that it is a new course, but i have been very patient with my college tutor so far, but tonight at college has really made me wander whether she should be teaching the course at all.

At college this evening even after being told that we are doing colouring unit before the end of this course in December, and our logbooks saying we have to do a quasi/semi, a permanent colour and a lightner, Our tutor told us that we will not be actually using actual colour and will just be running through the motions with henna wax. This does not sound right to me.

What are everyone elses views?

Are you doing it on a mannequin head/block with the henna wax? If so, I don't see any problem with that; we use hair cholesterol at my college to simulate hair colour and relaxer. It saves money and product that could be used on paying clients. If you're using it in actual graded assessments, that seems a bit odd.

Why didn't you raise this with her? Their could be many explanations that we don't know, only she knows the answer x

I don't like the sound of these vrq courses glad i did my nvq before they started to change them

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

are you sure she didint mean as a practice first ? before doing actual clients . you cannot get a qualification without using products and seeing what they do ..

I'm doing a vrq 2 and we are being pushed to do real clients and use proper tints etc we are told only use blocks if we can't get enough models in, sounds a bit dodgy to me

I'm doing a vrq as well. We had to practice on our manikin heads with cheap conditioner and talc, then we did our colour assessments the week later not even knowing how to mix colours or apply them. I passed my colouring assessments :eek: and we have only just started the theory work in colouring. These vrqs are all over the place or the staff who are planning the courses are a bit thick! lol!

Oh god I'm starting mine soon starting to get scared!!

She said we would not be doing it on clients this year but our log ooks say differently. In the past months she has often said one thing and then said something completely different once looking at the log books. I just think before saying these things she should look straight away before mentioning it. I paid alot of money on my course or it is a lot for me anyway and want to get a decent education, so i go out into the industry as prepared as i can

I am a bit concerned about these vrqs, how I understand it is that you can qualify as a hairdresser without actually touching a human head, with nvqs assessments have to be done on paying customers, which I understand colleges find it hard to get enough models in for all students so this is why the vrqs were brought in, by all means practice colour with wax/conditioner but I think you need to get models in yourself, can you get work experience in a salon?

From what I've heard tutors are not pleased about this either but they just get told what they have to teach

xx

Iv just completed my VRQ level 2, however must attend until the end of May. We have been taght in the exactway that the NVQ Is taught. We have not been allowed to be assessed on training heads only on paying clients into the salon. We have done all colour theory which is from NVQ and have used professional products (Wella) on teh clients. We have not been allowed to use cheaper alteratives or be assessed on dolls. I think that this is where the problem is caused that soem of us VRQ trained are getting put down because all colleges seem to run it differently. I have been lucky that teh college i attended have run teh VRQ To NVQ Standard.

Iv just completed my VRQ level 2, however must attend until the end of May. We have been taght in the exactway that the NVQ Is taught. We have not been allowed to be assessed on training heads only on paying clients into the salon. We have done all colour theory which is from NVQ and have used professional products (Wella) on teh clients. We have not been allowed to use cheaper alteratives or be assessed on dolls. I think that this is where the problem is caused that soem of us VRQ trained are getting put down because all colleges seem to run it differently. I have been lucky that teh college i attended have run teh VRQ To NVQ Standard.

Also, as part of our assessment it was not only to apply the colour or lightner, we had to identify the clients base colour, take into consideration tones in teh hair both naturally and consider any artifical colour which was on their, pick out the suitable icolour/s for application, explain to teh tutor why we had chosen the target shades, and mix the colours/ bleach our selves, which means a high level of understanding on colors, tones, the colour wheel, which peroxide level for how many shades of lift or diposit of colour, what mixing ratio to use for different ranges - quasi or permenant.

Personally i feel if i had been taught the way you are i would never have got to grips with teh colouring, its a hands on treatment and as your mixing it up more and more it will start to click into place. I also covered lots of theory work and additional theory to what is given on VRQ as colouring is a massive passion for me.

http://nvqweb.com/forum/nvq-or-vrq

There's a link for a description of the 2. I am just completing my nvq3, and when looking into colleges last year my local only offered vrq and tried to tell me it was the same as nvq! Eventually I found a college out of town offering nvq so opted for that. I think it's worrying that so many people are being duped into thinking they are as good as one another for hairdressing, in other industries I can see that this might be the case, but no salon employer will employ someone on the basis that 'theoretically' they know how to offer a service. Any college completing vrq studies to nvq standards obv care about their students & prob find the whole vrq thing worrying themselves..just my opinion of course :)) x

Exactly!! But this is where my point comes across, i have been so lucky that myVRQ Has been taught to such a standard, sadly some colleges arnt so concerned and commited and just take the easy way, which is no benefit to the students - but will keep pass rates up.

Again, i feel i have been so fotunate with my VRQ And my tutors at the college, just a shame that all the VRQ Stdeunts havent been given such a good education on the course which is why so many people feel teh VRQ s a pointless year.

Exactly!! But this is where my point comes across, i have been so lucky that myVRQ Has been taught to such a standard, sadly some colleges arnt so concerned and commited and just take the easy way, which is no benefit to the students - but will keep pass rates up.

Again, i feel i have been so fotunate with my VRQ And my tutors at the college, just a shame that all the VRQ Stdeunts havent been given such a good education on the course which is why so many people feel teh VRQ s a pointless year.

I'm with you, just finished VRQ2 and was taught by tutor who usually teaches nvq, she has pushed us to be working towards our level 3 so everything we have done except perms (due to lack of willing victims) had to be done on real people. I really think it depends on who your tutor is. Perhaps raising these concerns with your tutor would be a good idea and if you still don't get a satisfactory answer you could speak to the hair and beauty course manager.

Also, as part of our assessment it was not only to apply the colour or lightner, we had to identify the clients base colour, take into consideration tones in teh hair both naturally and consider any artifical colour which was on their, pick out the suitable icolour/s for application, explain to teh tutor why we had chosen the target shades, and mix the colours/ bleach our selves, which means a high level of understanding on colors, tones, the colour wheel, which peroxide level for how many shades of lift or diposit of colour, what mixing ratio to use for different ranges - quasi or permanent.

I have had the same kind of training, very little help from tutors. If we cant tell them why we want to use the colours and which colours to use and they have to help then we fail. It seems to all depend on the college standards. Mine has high standards, we used talc and conditioner in level 1 on blocks to practise foiling, but all real assesments have to be carried out on a paying customer.

Amore, you are very lucky to be in a good college but if you are doing everything a nvq does then why are you not doing a nvq qualification? Just asking as a bit confused now ;)

Oh dear...why do I fear for the industry standards fight now?

I might be thinking along different lines to everyone else here but does she not mean your going to practice how to apply colours and foil on blocks first with conditioner? i think that's right you need to practice sectioning foil and how to prevent them slipping.

just because your practicing applying colour on the block without using colour doesn't mean you won't still be learning the theory past of it at the same time.

Maybe once you have practiced applying and been taught theory them you will put colours on the block, them once this is perfected then in on to clients.

Definitely raise this with your tutor. If you feel like your not learning enough or things aren't being explained properly you need to tell her. At the end of the day its your career on the line

I am coming towards the end of
vrq and it has been brilliant.

we were doing friends and family from 4 weeks Into the course (with guidance obviously ) and members of
the public not Long after.

we HAVE to do all assessments on clients. and we can not use other members of the class

Latest posts

Back