Is nail polish hygenic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseDavidNailDesign

Reaction score
I have a question. In all my previous trainings I have been taught that nail polish is not an environment where bacteria can live in.
Now we're carrying polish that does not contain formaldehyde, toulene or DBP. Do you think it is still safe to use on more than one person.
Can I use nail polish on someone with "questionable" toenails (I.e. with fungus):eek:? Do I have to throw the bottle away? What do you all think?

I don't know about the polish in the UK, that doesn't contain all as said above.

But in reference to toes with fungus, I wouldn't be painting them anyways. Personally, I wouldn't touch them. If there's fungus, see a doctor. Get it treated, then come back and see me.

And for the rest of the clients: who's hands/feet are problem free and washed/sanitized, then the nails are dehydrated.....
I would ASSUME that those nails are pretty darn clean once all the prep work is done.

Please feel correct me if I'm wrong....

Just a thought I had.

LOL..I thinks we had this converstaion discussion on another thread awhile back.eh?

You are correct as far as I am concerned Victoria. As long as the clients nails have been cleansed and santized there shouldn't be a concern for un infected nails.

Okay I’m going to give a different viewpoint here. When we are first taught we are told we can’t do this that and the other and to do it all by the book. However I have found that as I have gotten more experienced that certain conditions that I may have refused to do I now work on. And to be honest if I refused every client that I suspected had toe jam then I wouldn’t be doing any pedicures out here in Spain! But then my sanitation is meticulous between clients to ensure cross contamination doesn't happen.

Ah but you can’t sanitise polish I hear you say!!! Well no you can’t! But isn’t the infection under the nail (which is why it is so darned hard to get rid of) and we paint on top of the nail, which by the time it has been sanitised and squeaked will be okay?

As I’ve said before in this scenario, your client is far more likely to catch some nasty off your credit card terminal when they key in their PIN number than they are when you work on them in the correct way! Because let’s face it, how many of us sanitise the terminal between clients? ( and I know they don’t key it in with their toes but it’s a fact that we harbour more germs on our fingers than is on most loo seats!)

i agree and think that although hygiene and safety is important...i do sometimes think some people take it a bit OTT...

Okay I’m going to give a different viewpoint here. When we are first taught we are told we can’t do this that and the other and to do it all by the book. However I have found that as I have gotten more experienced that certain conditions that I may have refused to do I now work on. And to be honest if I refused every client that I suspected had toe jam then I wouldn’t be doing any pedicures out here in Spain! But then my sanitation is meticulous between clients to ensure cross contamination doesn't happen.

Ah but you can’t sanitise polish I hear you say!!! Well no you can’t! But isn’t the infection under the nail (which is why it is so darned hard to get rid of) and we paint on top of the nail, which by the time it has been sanitised and squeaked will be okay?

As I’ve said before in this scenario, your client is far more likely to catch some nasty off your credit card terminal when they key in their PIN number than they are when you work on them in the correct way! Because let’s face it, how many of us sanitise the terminal between clients? ( and I know they don’t key it in with their toes but it’s a fact that we harbour more germs on our fingers than is on most loo seats!)
Thanks for giving me something other than the textbook answer. I too have been told that if there are symptoms of a nail infection the service is contra-indicated and I must refer them to the doctor and refuse the service. This doesn't work in the real world. First of all we can't diagnose and infection, so why cause un-due stress. Second of all why can't the client at least have polish. (Do the nails have to breathe:lol: he he he)
I didn't think so.
Anyway the owner wanted me to do some research and since I know in the UK polish had been without DBP Toulene and Formaldehyde for some time, I just wanted your point of view. Thanks so much. Its so great having so many experts at my fingertips !!!:hug:

over 60% of people have an active fungal infection of the feet or toenails. Turning them away would mean that more than every other pedicure appointment would equate to a no-show.

As stated, Nail enamel is not a product that can support bacterial or fungal growth so it is hygenic.

Secondly, pedicures can actually be beneficial for some types of fungal infections.

However always follow your government guidelines, always follow imaculate sanitation steps and never work on a condition that you feel uncomfortable with.

nJoy :)

I know that this is kind of an old topic, but recently our local paper published an article about salon safety and in it, the writer states that consumers should only allow "single use" polish to be used on them. I would love to beable to point this writer to Facts that state otherwise if I could, so if anyone can tell me where I could find it in print, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Darcy

Secondly, pedicures can actually be beneficial for some types of fungal infections.
nJoy :)
i have to agree with this...i have a client that has been coming to me for four years...when she first came to me both her baby toe nails were blackish...she had been to the doctor and he said she was fine so i continued to give her pedicures...i can not believe the difference in color! she comes every three weeks and her toenails have gotten so much lighter...there's barely any discoloration anymore

If i see a contra.. and know its a contra, i aint touching it!! no way no how.. I will however use my common sense.. treat the foot as i assume fit.. I have seen some manky feet.. aussie thongs are pretty unforgiving things.. and to date i have never turned away a foot.. im confident enough in my prep to know that my products applied will be done so with no problem to the product!!
common sense really is what it boils down to.:green:

I don't know about the polish in the UK, that doesn't contain all as said above.

But in reference to toes with fungus, I wouldn't be painting them anyways. Personally, I wouldn't touch them. If there's fungus, see a doctor. Get it treated, then come back and see me.

And for the rest of the clients: who's hands/feet are problem free and washed/sanitized, then the nails are dehydrated.....
I would ASSUME that those nails are pretty darn clean once all the prep work is done.

Please feel correct me if I'm wrong....

Just a thought I had.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU< COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF

Latest posts

Back