Is NVQ Level 2 enough?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessie-May

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if NVQ Level 2 completes you to be a full time hairdresser and would the qualification be enough to start out your own business or do you need NVQ level 3 too? Sorry if i sound stupid just want to find out a little about the business before i start, could you also tell me if you are taught foils in NVQ 2, thanks Nicole x

Hi all, just wondering if NVQ Level 2 completes you to be a full time hairdresser and would the qualification be enough to start out your own business or do you need NVQ level 3 too? Sorry if i sound stupid just want to find out a little about the business before i start, could you also tell me if you are taught foils in NVQ 2, thanks Nicole x

Hi Jessie-May;866523] Anyone at all can open a hairdressing business, and employ hairdressers or rent out stations ect

but to do so without any sort of business experience or without working in the chosen professional industry for a couple of Years
could be making a big boo boo

eg, the staff would know more than you about everything and you would have to rely on them too much ,
and being the business owner that may not be a good thing
as I am sure you can imagine,

But answering your question
Level 2 in most Further Education colleges is usually of excellent Quality and content,
they will cover all aspects of cut colour and foiling ect ,

the difference with Level three is you do more advanced cutting and colouring techniques and have choices of more advanced units
for instance Assessor units ,catwalk hairdressing , photo shoots ect ,

then theres the business studies side which is pretty intense and you have to cover it all with lots of written essays so its pretty hard going ,
but its very useful if you are going to run a business,

If you complete your level two and three
and preferably gain at least a couple of years salon experience
that will help you a lot in business ,

I think the government also run free small business workshops , have a look through the business threads on the Biz geek forum
they also run free workshops on book keeping and how to do your taxes I think , hth x :hug:

Latest posts

Back