Is ptlls enough?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
Ok so I know it's now called something else rather than ptlls but I'm referring to the equivalent thereof (level 3/4 award in education and teaching).

So I'm weighing up whether to do a teacher training course at college that is the equivalent of ptlls. Some people say it's a way to get a foot in the door working in a college but others say that it's not enough and a full pgce is needed.

In an ideal world I'd do the pgce but the intensity of it isn't compatible with my health and I can see that being the case maybe for quite a while. I'm thinking maybe I should do a ptlls course for now because at least that's something but I don't want to waste my money and find that it doesn't get me the job I want.

So my question is, has ptlls served the purpose of getting you work teaching in a college or is a higher teaching qualification required?

Thanks in advance :)

I was told it's enough but I've read other things that say different. I've always wanted to know this too. X

I was told it's enough but I've read other things that say different. I've always wanted to know this too. X

That's the thing isn't it. Like I've seen job adverts say they'll accept ptlls or equivalent but that still doesn't tell me if the jobs are going to people with a fully blown pgce/dtlls/det in practice. I don't want to be defeatist but I don't want to waste money on a ptlls type course if I have to do another qualification anyway (and I say this as someone who loves learning lol!)

In my local college the PTLLS part is the first section of the PGCE and if you've already done it and later decide to do the full qualification they take it out and take out the cost of it so either you can recap it without the final observation (though I think you pay for that!) or you can just skip it. I would imagine places would take you on as a teacher/assistant and may pay for the remainder of your training. Again, this is what they do in my local college. Good luck!

at the end of the day if you applied for a teaching job with no teaching quals, and all the other applicants didnt have teaching quals either, they would choose the best applicant and then support them to achieve their pgce or cert ed (dependent on your existing level of education). teaching qulas are desirable as it saves the college paying out for your training, however many people start out by getting a few hours at a college as an associate lecturer, whereby you are paid by the hour (rather than salaried), and will pay for your teaching qulas along with an assessors award, then when you have all your quals you are more likely to be offered a more permanent position. the above poster has given good information - this is how it is in the south. Even if you see a teaching job advertised and you dont have the teaching quals - apply anyway as you never know xx

Thanks :) so ptlls plus a taqa might be a good route to go down maybe in order to get a foot in the door for hourly paid part time?

Latest posts

Back