Is Shellac 'guaranteed' for two weeks?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnythecat

Reaction score
Ive just been reading a thread on mumsnet and one on moneysavingexpert. In each case the op had problems with Shellac chipping or lifting after a couple of days or a week.

Several replies say that Shellac is guaranteed for two weeks, advising the op/s that one weeks wear is not good enough and to get them redone.

Also in the recent article about Americas number 1 brands, Shellac was described as guaranteed for two weeks.

I dont guarantee it for two weeks as this would technically mean a client could come back on day 13 with a couple of chips and insist that i redo them.

I need to be clear about this. Please could somebody give me a definitive answer?

Hi there

I think this is a tricky one. I know for a fact as I have witnessed this with my own eyes, unless the client has 'heathly nails' definately no peeling or splitting it won't stay in place.

Also I believe that SolarOil is a must inbetween appointments to keep Shellac looking at its best and staying flexibile.

I also think it depends on the client, some people are more heavy handed then others.

Basic afercare needs to be carried out as well and of course if the technician hasn't applied it properly i.e. too thick it won't last either!

Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to nails... how could it be?

The thing with Shellac is, in my experience, it does last two weeks and more for most people and because of this, everyone expects it to last for two weeks.

Of course as Becky_simon has said, it depends on the person and the condition of their nails and what they do with them.

Shellac is not an enhancement product... it's a power polish and is meant to last up to 14 days.

I always stress to people that it is UP TO 14 days. Some people will get 10, some people will get 20, it depends on the nails and how they look after them.

I tell my clients that Shellac is amazing! But, I also tell them it's not completely indestructible. Meaning, you can't scrub your bathroom floor and expect your nails to last 14 days. But, Shellac can last up to 14 days if the client takes care of her hands for 14 days. Simple as that.

However, I had did a client's nails yesterday with Shellac, and she called me last night to say that one corner of one nail has lifted. :Scared:

I haven't had that happen once in the many many months I've been doing Shellac. So, I told her to try not to pick at it, and if it's bothersome, clip the loose part until she can come back. She's coming in today to have me redo that one finger, and I will do that free of charge. She, of course, sent me a picture of her naked fingernail where she'd peeled it off. :mad:

Anyways. It's kinda like a car (or anything else for that matter). It's going to last for years and years if you service it, get the oil changed, keep the tires rotated, etc. If not, it might not last you one year.

I too explain it as polish so that clients realize it has limitations:
Shellac is an amazing power polish that is instantly dry and CAN last UP TO two weeks WITH the proper home care!

Very little in life is guaranteed without limitations imposed on the guarantees. You only have to look at the guarantees/warantees applied to cars and home appliances etc.
Which, I mention to clients.

As mentioned, it's not indestructible.
IF it were, then it would suffer the same fate as MMA because if someone banged it hard enough, they'd lose their natural nail along with it.

Common sense really.

Like anything, nails that have been Shellac-ed, require maintenance and care. One should RESPECT the things we invest money in.
We wouldn't purchase a car and treat it poorly, we'd have it maintained and get oil changes etc to ensure it runs smoothly.
Same for Shellac.

Anyone that expects differently is being unreasonable.

Hmmm should remind clients whilst thinking about it, and update status on FB lol

Sweets sqaured say that it last's upto two weeks and that you shouldn't tell client's it's guarenteed for 2 weeks.

Agree with everything everyone has said. No guarantee because you don't know what they have been doing or if they have been doing their home maintenance. As a matter of opinion, when it comes to nails, no guarantee, except a full set within two weeks.

Thanks for clarifying geeks. Xx

Also it lasts 2 weeks on HEALTH NATURAL NAILS! Ive you've got weak, dry or brittle nails its not going to last! it might do if they look after it! but again you cannot guaranty that!
I find some of my clients get 2 weeks perfect out of it some 3 weeks and some come back after 2 weeks with chips! but no one has they same nails!!

Also when these Lady's are getting there nails done on 'mumsnet' are they actually getting Shellac are they using the lamp is it been applied correctly? etc?

We recommend that Shellac LASTS (Not guaranty) days flawless wear.

Latest posts

Back