Is Shellac just another soak-off gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeycure

Reaction score
I know they keep calling it a "polish hybrid"... but I'm having trouble understanding the difference between Shellac and other soak off gels.

What makes it a hybrid? I already offer Bio and polish to my clients, what will I tell them if I were to introduce Shellac to them?

Well this is an easy one.

Shellac is not a gel and it is not a polish. Shellac combines the best features of both gel and polish ... That is what makes it a hybrid ... Taking two different entities and making something brand new. Shellac has the thinness and wearability of polish plus the extra strength and durability of gel plus zero dry time, no natural nail Prep other than you would do for polish, and fast and complete removal with no buffing.

As for clients ... They will only have to wear Shellac once to be sold on it.

Well this is an easy one.

Shellac is not a gel and it is not a polish. Shellac combines the best features of both gel and polish ... That is what makes it a hybrid ... Taking two different entities and making something brand new. Shellac has the thinness and wearability of polish plus the extra strength and durability of gel plus zero dry time, no natural nail Prep other than you would do for polish, and fast and complete removal with no buffing.

As for clients ... They will only have to wear Shellac once to be sold on it.

Gigi has hit the nail on the head, my clients who I have shellaced have so far been wowed by it and so am I.
I love it, blows all others out of the water.....
Competition? pah what competion this is a brand new technologu so no it isnt just like other soak of gels far from it.
Its in a polish bottle not a pot, goes on like polish, smells like polish but dries in an instant under the uv lamp just like a gel, has the wearability of a gel and the mirror shine like none other on the market.
The best bit........ It soaks off in 10 mins, yes 10 mins start to finish with absolutly no damage to the natural nail, then you are ready to prep and reapply another fantastic Shellac shade.
Trust me once you try this product you will be addicted as will your clients.
LOVE IT!!!!!

does the nail have to be prepped? would a 9wattt lamp be adequate xxx

does the nail have to be prepped? would a 9wattt lamp be adequate xxx

All you need to do to the natural nail is shape and remove cuticle then apply Shellac.

I think other people have tried using a different lamp and have run into problems.

Shellac has been designed to work with the new CND lamp or the old Brisa lamp. Use a different lamp and the product will not cure properly.

I have been using Calgel for the last 3 years and did Shellac Attack today.

I only use Calgel for nno's which suits me fine but as shellac is not a gel it isn't suitable for sculpting.

the main differences I could see were;

amazing high shine.
speedy application
much thinner on the nailplate
the french no white *bump* with the smile line
shellac sat on the nail for as long as you liked without any need to freezecure.
no need for Calcrystal etc to prevent UV yellowing.

negatives

only currently 12 colours for Shellac but all 12 are gorgeous

apart from that I haven't uncovered any other negatives

I only use Calgel for nno's which suits me fine but as shellac is not a gel it isn't suitable for sculpting.

amazing high shine.
speedy application
shellac sat on the nail for as long as you liked without any need to freezecure.

negatives

I totally agree with all these points.

My favourite things about Shellac are the speedy application and how thin it is on the nail plate.

can't you mix two or more colors together to create new colors?

can't you mix two or more colors together to create new colors?

You can layer one colour on top of another, but you cannot mix them as each formulation differs to get the depth of colour.

Do you need special training to use Shellac. I am a beauty therapist and do manicures and pedicures. I did do my complete nail training with CND a few years ago but unfortunately I got an allergic reaction to the products and so had to go back to natural nails. However I am really interested in the Shellac and would like to try it.

Yes, you just need to have a manicure/pedicure qualification to use and buy Shellac.

amazing high shine.
speedy application

negatives

Did you buy a separate lamp or just the same one as you use for Calgel?

Did you buy a separate lamp or just the same one as you use for Calgel?

I have a UV Lamp from the daylight company and it works fine.

I bought the new lamp. and it is fantastic

all of my Calgel will be getting sold as Shellac fulfills all my nail needs at the moment

As a soak off gel user, I can honestly say, that Shellac is nothing like a soak off gel.

Gels usually have to be "worked" onto the nail, they shrink back as you apply and you have to work fast and usually have to do two nails at a time and then cure because of this.

If you're fairly new to soak off gels, you can have a thick and bumpy looking nail.

Shellac, however, glides onto the nail, even better than any enamel I have ever used and leaves a flawless look, not to mention the high shine (which you will not get with soak off gels)

My only complaint about Shellac (YES FOLKS.... I HAVE A COMPLAINT ABOUT SHELLAC :Scared:).. is, it's so easy and quick to apply, that when I do my first hand and have it in the lamp for 2 mins... I've finished the second hand and am still waiting for the light to go off.

Need to get a second lamp me thinks :D

Ha ha! yes i agree with a second lamp idea!

From the way I have been working with shellac i could practically get a client done in about 10mins!

Lovin it!

As a soak off gel user, I can honestly say, that Shellac is nothing like a soak off gel.

Gels usually have to be "worked" onto the nail, they shrink back as you apply and you have to work fast and usually have to do two nails at a time and then cure because of this.

If you're fairly new to soak off gels, you can have a thick and bumpy looking nail.

Shellac, however, glides onto the nail, even better than any enamel I have ever used and leaves a flawless look, not to mention the high shine (which you will not get with soak off gels)

My only complaint about Shellac (YES FOLKS.... I HAVE A COMPLAINT ABOUT SHELLAC :Scared:).. is, it's so easy and quick to apply, that when I do my first hand and have it in the lamp for 2 mins... I've finished the second hand and am still waiting for the light to go off.

Need to get a second lamp me thinks :D

Well lol if Shellac being too quick & easy is your only complaint then you are in luck. The CND UV lamp is so reasonably priced, that having a second one is an easy and inexpensive option ... I have 2 for that very reason.

Just wanted to jump in and say I was shocked at how reasonable the lamp was. As a non nailie, but a salon owner, I sent my BT off on the training and had a budget in mind, but told her to call me when she knew the cost of everything we were to get, just to check. It was half of what I had budgeted for. Go Shellac wooop :) xxx

I have just bought another kit I suspect I will need it when my clients are breaking down the door.

I might even get to do my own nails at home as well!

Unbelievable product it's up there with my passion for Environ skincare!

amazing customer service from Fingertips too xxx

I have a UV Lamp from the daylight company and it works fine.

This lamp is not suitable for curing Shellac despite what you may think and your clients may suffer with service breakdown for which CND Nor Shellac will be held responsible.

Latest posts

Back