Is Shellac removal affected by the heat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebe_cat

Reaction score
Hi All...

I am loving Shellac, and hopefully a centre spread in the English language newspaper will be published tomorrow, so busier than ever!!

I am however, having major problems with removal.... It is now getting to the mid 40's C here every day, and even though I have fans, air con, etc, the temp in the salon is not as low as I would like! (I can't even have my lamp on to apply L&P cos it makes it just that little bit hotter, n I have no time to move my product!)

Anyway.... I think my problem is, that the acetone is evaporating due to the heat before it has done it's work..

After 10 mins, they are crumbly, but I have to put a lot of work into getting it off, lots of scraping with the orange stick, and then more acetone etc, etc.... The longer I leave it, the worse it gets, cos it all just hardens up again due the the evaporation...

So any hints and tips from those in warmer climates would be really appreciated! My clients love it, but not the fact that it is taking me 40 mins to remove!

I had thought of buffing it slightly before applying the acetone... Right or wrong! :!: ---------------- Now playing: Plastic Bertrand - Ca Plane Pour Moi via FoxyTunes

Hi All...

I am loving Shellac, and hopefully a centre spread in the English language newspaper will be published tomorrow, so busier than ever!!

I am however, having major problems with removal.... It is now getting to the mid 40's C here every day, and even though I have fans, air con, etc, the temp in the salon is not as low as I would like! (I can't even have my lamp on to apply L&P cos it makes it just that little bit hotter, n I have no time to move my product!)

Anyway.... I think my problem is, that the acetone is evaporating due to the heat before it has done it's work..

After 10 mins, they are crumbly, but I have to put a lot of work into getting it off, lots of scraping with the orange stick, and then more acetone etc, etc.... The longer I leave it, the worse it gets, cos it all just hardens up again due the the evaporation...

So any hints and tips from those in warmer climates would be really appreciated! My clients love it, but not the fact that it is taking me 40 mins to remove!

I had thought of buffing it slightly before applying the acetone... Right or wrong! :!: ---------------- Now playing: Plastic Bertrand - Ca Plane Pour Moi via FoxyTunes

I think you are right about the heat.
What I do, now that it is reaching 100º here is after 5 minutes I take my pipette and squirt a teaspoon or so more D-Solve into each wrap. Very simple ... no need to unwrap the foils just insert the end of the pipette and squirt!! Away you go and no time lost.

For God's sake!!! Why the hell did I not think of that!!

Guess that's why you are where you are today!! Thank you so much, will be doing that from tomorrow!

X

For God's sake!!! Why the hell did I not think of that!!

Guess that's why you are where you are today!! Thank you so much, will be doing that from tomorrow!

X

LOL I've always had ALLOT of common sense and I wont let anything beat me!! It's working fine for me but be generous with it. The heat is making a big difference to how Shellac came off when I started using it in March and it was colder..
:hug:

Bless the tenacious lol!

On the subject of heat.... As I mentioned, I have to turn off my desk lamp when doing L&P, and work so so so much wetter, but when is wet TOO wet? x

And to add..... is it normal, that I am getting through so much more monomer than usual?

Last edited:
I had a client yesterday who complained of the 'heat' she could feel when I was doing a removal for a re-Shellac using foil and cotton wool!
The increased temperature here has caused me to use a bit more remover but I hadn't thought of Gigi's idea (fantastic, thank you :green:)

I prefer to use Brisa and don't use L+P very often, but especially not in the summer months here due to the mega fast speed I have to work at before it sets up on the brush!!!!!!
Lisa, it's the heat evaporating your monomer hunny, and also using a bit more if you're working slightly wetter.
Just please don't tell me you're using Moxie over there :wink2: :lol:

Hiya Sandi, long time no speak!

No!!!! Not using Moxi!
I only got my Brisa foundation in UK, and do use it at times, but I'm no where near as confident as I am with my L&P!

I think the next time I'm in UK I'll have a Brisa one to one.... Gel was always an add on for me in UK.... Now things are differednt....

C'mon! I was trained in the deepest darkest depths of the North East of England, lol! Wasn't expecting this!

Loving it tho, even tho it means working in a very different way! :hug:

Hiya Sandi, long time no speak!

No!!!! Not using Moxi!
I only got my Brisa foundation in UK, and do use it at times, but I'm no where near as confident as I am with my L&P!

I think the next time I'm in UK I'll have a Brisa one to one.... Gel was always an add on for me in UK.... Now things are differednt....

C'mon! I was trained in the deepest darkest depths of the North East of England, lol! Wasn't expecting this!

Loving it tho, even tho it means working in a very different way! :hug:

You have to be adaptable that is for sure!!

Wet is too wet when the monomer does not evaporate quickly and the bead is running all over the nail !! In this heat, the excess monomer evaporates and the ratio becomes less wet as you work. I hope that makes sense.

Why not come to Spain and I'll give you a Brisa 121!! lol

I have been applying Shellac for about 2 months on clients and family alike all loving it, no problems applying and no problems with it lasting.

Two of my clients have just returned from the Dominican Republic where the temperature was around 35 degrees. Within the first 4 days of them being there (around a week since application) the Shellac bubbled on a couple and then the colour completely bleached from the others, leaving just a white nail.

My first thought was maybe it was the heat, but as i see a few posts from those using Shellac in Cyprus, i'm stumped. :confused: Any ideas?

Any thoughts gratefully received

No idea what they have done to their nails but I can tell you that we have those temperatures here in Spain and my Shellac, also that of my clients, has never altered in colour nor bubbled after application.

Did you use the correct lamp to cure them? I'm just wondering if they were potentially under cured by using the wrong lamp and something happened to them in the strong UV's in the DomRep!?!?!

Have been using another uv lamp so my own fault really, desperately waiting for the cnd to come in stock! Other clients all happy with product and longevity, (even hairdressers who constantly have their hands in water, dyes and goodness knows what else! Will definitely be waiting until new lamp arrives before applying on clients who are going abroad!

Just more proof i guess that it really needs to be the correct lamp, role on the end of August when they're in!

Thanks for the response

I have been applying Shellac for about 2 months on clients and family alike all loving it, no problems applying and no problems with it lasting.

Two of my clients have just returned from the Dominican Republic where the temperature was around 35 degrees. Within the first 4 days of them being there (around a week since application) the Shellac bubbled on a couple and then the colour completely bleached from the others, leaving just a white nail.

My first thought was maybe it was the heat, but as i see a few posts from those using Shellac in Cyprus, i'm stumped. :confused: Any ideas?

Could that have been their sunscreen? There was a thread about that I'm sure.

:hug:I done this the other day with my pipette, I always measure how much acetone-d-dspese I use with this however It was really warm and was thumb and was not breaking down so just added little bit more, i felt bit bad adding more this way but seen as though gigi just said she does this, I dont mind lol.

:hug:I done this the other day with my pipette, I always measure how much acetone-d-dspese I use with this however It was really warm and was thumb and was not breaking down so just added little bit more, i felt bit bad adding more this way but seen as though gigi just said she does this, I dont mind lol.

Why feel bad? You do what you have to do :green: . there is nothing bad about it! Does it look bad when the hairdresser opens up the foils to check the colour?? I open up one foil to check and see how removal is coming long and if the D-Solve has evaporated I add more to them all. Perfectly sensible and professional way of going about things. :hug:

Just wanted to say, I put this into practice today!!!
I'm full of cold, which is no fun in 46'C, I can tell ya, so I was in no mood for messing about :green:
Left foils for 5 mins, added some acetone, left another 5 mins, and they came off like a dream......
Client was "Oh, that didn't take as long as last time, is is different remover you have?" (I find clients pay very little attention to what you do at each visit, lol!) I just smiled enigmatically and said, no, just a slight change in method!
Me and client, happy and unstressed!
Thank you Geeg, off to bed now to sniff :irked:

With Sandi on this one.... I've never actually used Shellac in "normal" temperatures! All of my clients are in and out of pools all day, the majority of them wear sunscreen daily, and have never had these problems... Think it has to be down to your lamp hun :hug:

Latest posts

Back