Is standard of colleges dropping???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The college i went to I had excellent training and became friendly with a lot of the tutors there, they help to mould the therapist i became today. But just lately I have a lot of newbie qualified girls came for trade tests and the standard is appalling. They cant paint a nail, french polish is a no no but this last week a girl who comes for work experience voluntary every thursday, she is an excellent therapist, perfection polisher, professional in every way but.....

at college she is classed as a problem child as she is dylsexic and dyspraxic and gets frustrated, when her tutor came to see me she couldnt understand that i didnt have a problem with her, quite the opposite a perfect therapist and is eager to please. The tutor left with her jaw on the floor.
On thursday just gone she had to pay for another course to progress onto level 3 a roller waxing course, the students couldnt get the wax off her underarm and tried 5 times, so the tutor then ripped it off without holding the skin and then proceeded to apply SURGICAL SPIRIT!!!!
This girl was in so much pain and she was told oh dont worry just see your dr. She came to me in tears with no skin on her underarm asking what could be done, my opinion of the college has no totally gone down the drain Im so glad that i didnt attend that one.

Thank heaven she can talk to you. Did she go to her GP - she should have this on record? Reading between the lines, I don't think that this girl's tutor likes her and liked her even less after she visited you for a report. If this girl was my daughter I would be taking this further. I am completely and utterly appalled and disgusted.

From personal experience, I had a problem with a tutor at my first college and she was part of the reason I left - thankfully I did as my second college was fantastic.

Hi Geeks,
Could you plase help me? I am not even a newbie, just thinking to start my training in Beauty Therapy and I don't know where to go. I was thinking London School of Beauty becouse they have the place for practicing but it is far (I'm living in Thamemead) and quite expansive.
Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, Keti

I'm at college part time, two evenings a week. Our tutor is really good, has worked in salons for years and ensures we know hygiene, safety etc. She's helpful if you have any queries, explains things clearly, assesses us fairly and appropriately. She's a bit of a stickler for the rules actually.

The exams we do seem to be a formality rather than a necessity though, if we don't pass first time we just resit it, doing the questions we got wrong.

The only moan I have is that sometimes I don't feel like we spend enough time getting shown stuff but, as we're doing say 8 hours a week, when full tiem college people are there around 25 hours per week, I suppose that's to be expected really. I do worry about some of the girls in the class though - they just don't seem to know what they're doing :eek:

I know of someone who trained at the London Beauty School and she was happy there. Please excuse my geographical ignorance, but I'm not quite sure where Thamesmead is. I can recommend TLT Academy in Hayes, Kent (not far from Bromley). Excellent college. I did my NVQ2 there and am doing my NVQ3 there.

I'm at college and I do agree that things are rushed but we have a certain standard that we have to achieve before we pass our assessments. I'm a mother of 2 and unfortunately I missed a couple of classes which left me WAY behind, but because my tutor knows that I am dedicated in choosing this profession, she has sat after class at 9pm on a monday night showing me techniques i've missed. She passes people who are good at what they do and the ones she's failed have stopped coming. I'm pleased with my college tutor and i'm confident I can embark upon a successful career in nails. :lol:

Thanks a lot mdamgooch!
Thamesmead is close to Kent but the other side. Broomley is far. I'm still searching.
Thanks again!
Keti

Latest posts

Back