Is there a trick to shatter/crackle polish on acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailsbykaesi

Reaction score
I have had no problem using crackle polishes durings mani/pedi services on the natural nail.
But I recently went to add some zazz to some colored acrylic enhancements with the crackle polish, and it would not crackle.
I even tried buffing the enhancements extra smooth, and tried three different brands of crackle polishes (OPI, Republic Nail, & Avon). Still no luck?
Has anyone else had this problem before?

I have had no problem using crackle polishes durings mani/pedi services on the natural nail.
But I recently went to add some zazz to some colored acrylic enhancements with the crackle polish, and it would not crackle.
I even tried buffing the enhancements extra smooth, and tried three different brands of crackle polishes (OPI, Republic Nail, & Avon). Still no luck?
Has anyone else had this problem before?

Did you apply it straight on to the coloured enhancement or did you apply polish underneath. If you didn't apply any polish underneath, try a clear if you don't want to use a colour :) (don't know if it will actually work, I've not tried it myself, but I don't see why not providing it has a polish under) xxx

Crackle polish needs a polish underneath it to crackle . Like previous person said. Use a clear coat if you want to see the acrylic through the crackle. :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

As already said it needs a coat if polish to crackle.
But from what i have discovered Barry m crackles better than any of the other pro brands. I've got 3 opis, china glaze and 2 others and they just don't crack as good as the Barry m one. xx

Thanks ladies! I didn't really think of that! Since I was planning on using a gel top coat over it. I'll just have to do a little more drying time before I apply.

Thanks ladies! I didn't really think of that! Since I was planning on using a gel top coat over it. I'll just have to do a little more drying time before I apply.

Shouldn't need any extra drying time hun really, by the time you have applied your clear to all 10 nails, the 1st nail should be dry enough to apply your crackle polish :) hths xxx

Hi, You might struggle to get a professional result using a gel topcoat over crackle.

To be honest I dont like the crackle polishes, but you can get the same effect by using foils and dabbing random bits of foil into a shellac or an adhesive, have you considered foils instead? The finish is much nicer, its a bit more professional looking, its a smoother finish, and its a professional service whereas crackle polish is something your client can do at home. also your foils will last and last, but crackle polish tends to go very gloopy very quickly

Hi, You might struggle to get a professional result using a gel topcoat over crackle.

To be honest I dont like the crackle polishes, but you can get the same effect by using foils and dabbing random bits of foil into a shellac or an adhesive, have you considered foils instead? The finish is much nicer, its a bit more professional looking, its a smoother finish, and its a professional service whereas crackle polish is something your client can do at home. also your foils will last and last, but crackle polish tends to go very gloopy very quickly
Hi there,
I was just planning on using crackle on just the tip of the nail, as an accent on one or two.
I have seen foil done and have been wanting to buy some rolls and try that too!
Great suggestion Thank you!

Hi there,
I was just planning on using crackle on just the tip of the nail, as an accent on one or two.
I have seen foil done and have been wanting to buy some rolls and try that too!
Great suggestion Thank you!

If you just want to crackle the tip you could finish the nail then apply a coat of shellac topcoat, cure for 2 mins, remove sticky layer, than paint the french tip on either in clear or a colour to contrast with the foil, cure 2 mins, then dab the foil into it, as it will only stick to the sticky layer of the tip you painted so its really easy to get a neat finish. I've got millions of foils but I do have just a plain shiney black one for doing crackle effects, in fact I've thrown my crackles out now.

Latest posts

Back