Is there such a thing as a 'Gel powder'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aphrodites

Reaction score
... a "gel powder"... is there???

I walked into by local (please don't shoot me down but i dont know another term that everyone knows or uses and i am not being racial) NSS to have a nosey and pick up a price list and they advertise a gel powder. Am i right in thinking there isn't such a thing??? x

... a "gel powder"... is there???

I walked into by local (please don't shoot me down but i dont know another term that everyone knows or uses and i am not being racial) NSS to have a nosey and pick up a price list and they advertise a gel powder. Am i right in thinking there isn't such a thing??? x

I have used something similar, acrygel, it lasts a while and is very strong but i just dont like applying it, its taking the gel then dipping into the powder, i just cant get to love it but some customers think its fab xx

Tip and dip is that what its called yes there is defintely such a thing have no knowledge of it other than ive heard of it.

Oooh thanks i have never ever heard of this. In my naivity i thought acrylic was l&p and gel was a gel!

I might be asking a stupid question but what does NSS stand for...I mean I get the idea of what you mean by it just wondering what it stands for.

Non Standard Salon

"Tip-n-dip" aka "Gel-Resine" aka "Resine et Poudre" should NOT be confused what many call 'gel powder'.
Tip-n-dip is when resin is applied, then acrylic powder sprinkled over it (OR the finger is dipped), then more resin, then an activator.

The NSS frequently sells 'gel' services, for an additional 10$, and then when queried by the consumer about the powder, call it 'gel powder' or 'powder gel' WHEN they are only applying regular Acrylic with 'gel' written on the container.

Then there is Acrygel and Le Chat.
These are systems that mix the two together.
UV Gel is applied, then Acrylic powder sprinkled over it.

I personally do not see the sense in doing one of the above systems because it defeats the purpose of having two different systems with their own strengths and it's MESSY.
(L&P strength being found in it's 'hardness' and gel strength found in it's flexibility. By mixing, their strengths are cancelled out, in my opinion and it's left somewhere in between)

hth's

Oooh thanks i have never ever heard of this. In my naivity i thought acrylic was l&p and gel was a gel!

Gel IS Gel.
It's only in the case of Le Chat or Acrygel that it gets confusing.
As for the rest, it's misleading marketing.

For example:
There's a school in montreal that refers to L&P as "Resine Tisse" which means "Woven resin". Ummmm can someone explain to me how that would be possible? To 'weave' a liquid?:rolleyes: They're trying to get away from the word 'acrylic' due to the NSS having given it a bad rep INSTEAD of educating consumers and clients, they jump on the bandwagon of misleading marketing to bring in clients.

OR "Silk Powder Nails" ............ I fight this silliness all the time.

As far as "Gel Resine", it's simply a poor translation, referring to the two different viscosities of the resin used, here in Quebec, and since saying 'tip-n-dip' is way too long in french. ("Poser le Capsule et Tremper" doesn't have the same ring lol)

UV GEL is UV GEL. Where there is powder, there is acrylic powder.

OF COURSE... we could really get technical and call them all Acrylics since they all contain Acrylates :green:

heres something that might give you a little insight into using the lechat powder gel system http://www.angelfingersnails.co.uk/3D-Gel-Nail-Art.htm

its a very simple system to use. no odour and really no mess. the nail is made quite accurately and needs very little finishing with the file so theres not much dust either.

however i agree that what nss salons are doing is trying to pass off liquid and powder systems as something else because they think they can get more money out of the unsuspecting client.

acrygel is very different to the lechat powder gel. you pick up gel on your brush and dip it in powder to thicken it before applying to the nail like a traditional modeling gel.

whereas lechats powder gel system is a thin gel thats applied from a polish style bottle and has a little bit of powder sprinkled over it before uv curing.

Question ....

If you take the poweder of acrygel and put it in the gel and mix it would it be the same as dip the gel then dip the powder and apply ?

That might be a stupied question but i have come across to a thing that looks like a gel but it apply like an acrylic and it's strong like an acrylic , no oddor and crystal clear like a gel and it's uv treated ... But they do not dip a gel then a powder and then apply ....

I've ask in school and they have no clue what that is ... They said it sounds like MMA but it's not MMA defenatly ...

So is there any change that they take the gel and the powder mix it in an other vase and use it like that ?

Kind regards
Archangelic

Question ....

If you take the poweder of acrygel and put it in the gel and mix it would it be the same as dip the gel then dip the powder and apply ?

That might be a stupied question but i have come across to a thing that looks like a gel but it apply like an acrylic and it's strong like an acrylic , no oddor and crystal clear like a gel and it's uv treated ... But they do not dip a gel then a powder and then apply ....

I've ask in school and they have no clue what that is ... They said it sounds like MMA but it's not MMA defenatly ...

So is there any change that they take the gel and the powder mix it in an other vase and use it like that ?

Kind regards
Archangelic

DGEL!!!made with ema powder they mix in with a basic Gel.. it give consistancy of acrylic but is set with UV light.. extremely expensive!!!.. So I'm looking for the powder they mix with the gel.. it's not acrylic.. I tried my acrylic powders..

upon further searching found they use a finely ground glass like substance also known as Porcelain powder... not to be confused with acrylic.. it's very fragile!! (according to onine sources.. I'm still trying to find out where I can buy some)

So mixed with Gel forms stronger substance.. mostly used mixed with gel in small amounts to creat 3D art..

Pls email me if some one has this product where to buy.. I would love to play with it and save myself the 299$US that DGEL charges for 3colors..
(I can use my colored gel and add the powder in mixing jar!! for a lot less if I can find a clear porcelain powder or whatever name it goes by around here)

Question ....

No, it would also make a mess. And it would turn to jello-like consistency with a little time so you couldn't save the left-overs.

How do you mean 'looks like gel' but applied like acrylic. Can you be more specific? What kind of brushes? What viscosity? Is it sticky? Did you SEE it get mixed in front of you? How did they do it?
UV is no guarantee, might just be for the top coat.

Sounds odd to me too.

Not very likely.

Kind regards
Archangelic

DGEL!!!made with ema powder they mix in with a basic Gel.. it give consistancy of acrylic but is set with UV light.. extremely expensive!!!.. So I'm looking for the powder they mix with the gel.. it's not acrylic.. I tried my acrylic powders..

From my search, I've gathered that Dgel is "desgin Sculpture Gel" also known as 3D Gel, for 3d flowers. You don't add powder to the gel. it's premixed. In my experience and that of others, if you add powder to the gel, it turns to a jello-like substance.

upon further searching found they use a finely ground glass like substance also known as Porcelain powder... not to be confused with acrylic.. it's very fragile!! (according to onine sources.. I'm still trying to find out where I can buy some)

According to whom it's a finely ground glass substance also known as a porcelain powder? Where's the MSDS? Did you see any labels on the containers?? Ask for that. This is NSS talk. There is no such thing as: glass nails, porcelain nails, diamond dust nails etc. This is all NSS ways of scamming clients.

So mixed with Gel forms stronger substance.. mostly used mixed with gel in small amounts to creat 3D art..
As I said, according to whom it's a stronger substance?
The different systems exist for a reason. Each have their own pros and cons, and different types of strength.
UV Gel is stronger due to flexibility.
Acrylic is stronger due to it's hardness.
Mix them, and you have less of each (flexibility/hardness). The UV Gel won't be flexible, and the Acrylic will be less hard. So neither is stronger.

Pls email me if some one has this product where to buy.. I would love to play with it and save myself the 299$US that DGEL charges for 3colors..
(I can use my colored gel and add the powder in mixing jar!! for a lot less if I can find a clear porcelain powder or whatever name it goes by around here)
As I said, you're being misinformed and you really need to ask for the MSDS. I'm certain that "porcelain" won't be listed in the ingredients.

Empress, out of curiousity, where in Canada are you?
Where did you take your courses?

"Tip-n-dip" aka "Gel-Resine" aka "Resine et Poudre" should NOT be confused what many call 'gel powder'.
Tip-n-dip is when resin is applied, then acrylic powder sprinkled over it (OR the finger is dipped), then more resin, then an activator.

The NSS frequently sells 'gel' services, for an additional 10$, and then when queried by the consumer about the powder, call it 'gel powder' or 'powder gel' WHEN they are only applying regular Acrylic with 'gel' written on the container.

Then there is Acrygel and Le Chat.
These are systems that mix the two together.
UV Gel is applied, then Acrylic powder sprinkled over it.
This discription of applying Acrygel is incorrect, with Acrygel, you scoop the gel onto your brush and then dip it into the powder, the powder is not sprinkled over the gel, so it is not messy at all, and is applied in the same way as a normal gel.

I personally do not see the sense in doing one of the above systems because it defeats the purpose of having two different systems with their own strengths and it's MESSY.
(L&P strength being found in it's 'hardness' and gel strength found in it's flexibility. By mixing, their strengths are cancelled out, in my opinion and it's left somewhere in between)

hth's

Acrygel has the clarity of a normal gel, but the the strength of acrylic. I use this product and I love it, so do my customers. HTH's! :)

Acrygel has the clarity of a normal gel, but the the strength of Acylic. I use this product and I love it, so do my customers. HTH's! :)

When i said Acrygel, I wasn't referring to a brand, but a type of product.
This is how it was explained to me by a tech using a well known 'Acrygel' product.
I didn't realize there were two ways. Thanks.

What brand do you have? Can you link it here?

When i said Acrygel, I wasn't referring to a brand, but a type of product.
This is how it was explained to me by a tech using a well known 'Acrygel' product.
I didn't realize there were two ways. Thanks.

What brand do you have? Can you link it here?

No worries! Poshfloss has the link in her post on the first page! :green:

Latest posts

Back