Is there such a thing as overcure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok here's how uv cured products work

Each uv system has a set amount of uv initiators that activate under uv exposure to start the process of polymerization and ultimately turn into a cured solid.
Some, to ensure full cure use a large percentage of initiators to ensure full cure in varied lamps - this leads to hear spike (exorthermic heat releasing rapid curing).
Some use so many to gaurantee cure that they are not all used in the lamp and can lead to yellow or 'clouding' from micro fracturing under additional uv exposure (such as sunlight a or longer in the lamp)

Doug specifically designed brisa and shellac to have only th minimum possible amount of uv initiators to avoid heat spike and over cure (when used with an ultra effecieny lamp that he also had to develop - CBS brisa lamp)

So yes for most companies over cure is just as much an issue as under cure

ALWAYS use the lamp your manufacturer recommends and HOPEFULLY they have tested and know scientifically which WILL cure correctly to match the uv initiator formula ...

Please read the link below which explains a lot more about uv systems and lamps ...

Uv systems and lamp info

Hths

As always envy you are the best!

I've just read so much about undercure but as I said I wasn't sure if overcure was possible but seems it is by wrong lamp or too long in the lamp.

Thank you!

Thank you for clarifying Envy.

I did wonder about "over curing" too as some companies don't seem as bothered which lamps are used with their products & others are very particular.

The emphasis always seemed to be on under curing.

I sat and watched Doug Schoon's hour and a half long seminar in Orlando last night, and what confuses me slighlty is when he said that the product never stops curing..but the rate and which is cures slows down immensely..this is why the longer shellac has been on the nail, the longer it will take to remove it...

...but if the product continues to cure..does this mean that it will eventually over cure if it's left? Not shellac because that almost always gets removed every 2 weeks...but in the case of rebalances of either L&P or gel..you're only removing 50% of the old product and then applying new..so will this old product over cure eventually?

Hope i'm making sense =/

Edit* Ok I just read over what I said and answered my own question..you're removing 50% of the product each rebalance so the original product will be removed after so many rebalances right? (..minds going into overdrive here, not sure if i'm right..) But in the case of certain clients that will not come back to get their enhancements removed..and they let them grow out, will these over cure?

Last edited:
In some soak off gels, if you over cure the base coat it makes it much harder to soak off.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back