Is there such a thing as overcure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamantine

Reaction score
As the title says really. We know about under curing gel but can you "overcure"?

Would it effect the product in any way?

I was just thinking today while I did my ironing. Always think of random stuff when doing housework.

I've never done gel or had and gel polish etc so I've no idea if it's a stupid question or not lol.

According to some reports over curing is possible. However, I don't understand this fully because when we do a French some layers can effectively cured two or three times when you think about it with no problems. Do you know what I mean? Not much help though.

Id like to know this too! Ive heard the term used before but only relating to shellac base coat (if longer than 10secs can make removal difficult if im not mistaken?). Hopefully a gel geek will come along soon and enlighten us :)

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

I always thought that you couldn't over cure, as once the photoinitiators have been 'used' it can't cure any more...

Otherwise, how would you be able to wear Shellac or Gel Polish or Gel outside? The UV rays from the sun would be a problem!

xxx

I always thought that you couldn't over cure, as once the photoinitiators have been 'used' it can't cure any more...

Otherwise, how would you be able to wear Shellac or Gel Polish or Gel outside? The UV rays from the sun would be a problem!

xxx
That sort of what got me thinking about it. I had gel enhancements on the other week and when I went on the sunbed they glowed bright green!

Made me think even though those bulbs wouldn't cure them if you could ever overcure.

I heard from someone that Calgel turns Yellow (during the curing process ) if it is overcured.. How true that is I dont know for sure as I havent used it but its an interesting question ...

Time is crucial with calgel if you leave it in the lamp longer than 30 secs it will yellow , you can use calcrystal topcoat this helps but if you get you're timings exact that shouldn't be a problem

i use bio and they told me that you cant overcure it but can only undercure it x

I have also heard that over-curing is possible but i'm not sure what that implies:/ But the reason your nails glowed green is because of the UV-protection in most gel topcoats. They reflect the light away instead of absorbing it causing the gel to yellow.

I read something by doug schoon, he said you can over cure and it apparently makes removal of gel products more difficult if they are over cured?

I use bio sculpture gel, their lamps are 18 w but would like to replace with a shellac lamp. For curing 5 fingers at same time. But am worried I may over cure the bio gel now?

Over cure refers to the gel curing too quickly, not too much if you see what I mean.

An extract to DS's 7 Secrets

Secret 7
UV gels can be over-cured
More isn’t always better! A higher intensity UVA nail lamp can over-cure UV gels designed for use with lower intensity lamps. For example, with too much UVA intensity, the UV gel may cure too rapidly and over heat and seriously burn client’s nail beds. All UV gels harden and undergo the same “exothermic” or “heat releasing” processes during cure, so this is true for all UV gels. It’s not just a marketing gimmick; it’s based on scientific fact: always use the UVA nail lamp that was designed for the UV gel product of your choice.

I have also heard that curing too quickly can cause micro-fractures within the gel... Not sure where I read it though.

Over cure refers to the gel curing too quickly, not too much if you see what I mean.

An extract to DS's 7 Secrets

Secret 7
UV gels can be over-cured
More isn’t always better! A higher intensity UVA nail lamp can over-cure UV gels designed for use with lower intensity lamps. For example, with too much UVA intensity, the UV gel may cure too rapidly and over heat and seriously burn client’s nail beds. All UV gels harden and undergo the same “exothermic” or “heat releasing” processes during cure, so this is true for all UV gels. It’s not just a marketing gimmick; it’s based on scientific fact: always use the UVA nail lamp that was designed for the UV gel product of your choice.

I have also heard that curing too quickly can cause micro-fractures within the gel... Not sure where I read it though.
Agree with this and Debbs87 you can overcure. There has just been an article from DS that he had emailed to all his subscribers, reporting exactly this x

Thats really interesting. Something to bear in mind when I start on gel enhancements then. Thanks geeks!

Whoops, I thought over curing meant keeping the nails in the lamp for too long... :o

Thanks for the info, evangelinegrace!

xx

No you can't overture in the correct lamp as once it's cured properly it's 'done'. Can only be done in the wrong lamp ie cures too quickly giving heat spike and possible onycholisis pulling at the nail plate.

I think we need "Envy" to comment on this one to know for sure...

Last edited:
I read something by doug schoon, he said you can over cure and it apparently makes removal of gel products more difficult if they are over cured?

I use bio sculpture gel, their lamps are 18 w but would like to replace with a shellac lamp. For curing 5 fingers at same time. But am worried I may over cure the bio gel now?

when i did my training with bio i asked if i needed a lamp as i already had 3! and she said no my 36 watt lamp would be fine and ive had no problems so far, also i have just got the cnd lamp and will eventually get rid of my others x

Hi souz,

That's interesting, I have read a couple of posts saying that bio have said the CND lamp is fine to use. Will probably get one as I prefer to cure 5 fingers at once.

I have used the CND one before at work with bio so I know it will cure it but didn't want to be over curing the gel making it hard to remove or ruining people's nails.

1. Both LED and traditional UV nail lamps emit UV energy to cure UV nail products, so all types of nail curing lamps are considered "UV nail lamps" and all are considered safe as used, as discussed in an earlier educational update (see link below).

2. UV nail lamps vary greatly in two important ways;
(a) total output of UV, and (b) the specific type of UV emitted, as described by its "wavelength". Note: different designs/brands will vary greatly for both (a) and (b) which means they can't properly cure many brands/types of UV curing products.

3. "Wattage" is not important to curing, except for marketing purposes. NEVER purchase a nail lamp because of its wattage.

4. It is important to only use the nail lamp recommended by the UV nail product/coating manufacturer, otherwise proper product performance is not assured. Lamps must be properly maintained and the UV bulbs replaced regularly.

5. Using the incorrect nail lamp can either "under" or "over" cure the UV nail coating. An incorrect lamp may appear to "harden" the product, but nail damage and adverse skin reactions may still plague your clientele. It's not possible to make a UV curing nail product that "properly" cures with any type of nail lamp.

6. Nail filings/dusts, inhibition layer and product dissolved in solvents are an increased skin risk when UV gel enhancements are under cured. Avoid under curing and wear disposable nitrile gloves to help prevent skin contact with uncured and improperly cured product.

7. Gel manicures are more likely to be difficult to remove if they are over cured, which can lead to nail damage (e.g. surface white spots) created during the removal process, as described in last month's educational update.

FROM DOUG SHOON'S BRAIN

you can over cure clear gel (calgel) as this will turn the clear gel a yellowish color. you can't over cure a colour gel.

Latest posts

Back