Is this a bad wax or just me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazeyjane

Reaction score
Hi
I just had a wax at a new salon because my usual (amazing skilled) therapist is on holiday. The leg wax with strips was fine, but the bikini seemed to be a struggle for her. She applied the hot wax and seemed to struggle to pull it off quickly so ended up taking 2-3 tugs, and after the first attempt i looked down and more than half the hair was still there. She then did it all a second time, which then really hurt - the wax felt hot and she still needed 2-3 tugs. Then she had to go over it with a ball of honey wax to get bits off, and then tweezers. I didn’t want to interrupt too much as I felt she was struggling.

She said my skin was clearly really sensitive - but I think that was just going over the area so much. Usually my therapist gets it first pull with hot wax, maybe has to go over bits again, but it doesn’t hurt. It’s now all red bumps - I am wrong in thinking this was a bad wax? She gets great reviews otherwise - maybe just a bad day, but it was really painful in comparison with what I am used to.

Hi
I just had a wax at a new salon because my usual (amazing skilled) therapist is on holiday. The leg wax with strips was fine, but the bikini seemed to be a struggle for her. She applied the hot wax and seemed to struggle to pull it off quickly so ended up taking 2-3 tugs, and after the first attempt i looked down and more than half the hair was still there. She then did it all a second time, which then really hurt - the wax felt hot and she still needed 2-3 tugs. Then she had to go over it with a ball of honey wax to get bits off, and then tweezers. I didn’t want to interrupt too much as I felt she was struggling.

She said my skin was clearly really sensitive - but I think that was just going over the area so much. Usually my therapist gets it first pull with hot wax, maybe has to go over bits again, but it doesn’t hurt. It’s now all red bumps - I am wrong in thinking this was a bad wax? She gets great reviews otherwise - maybe just a bad day, but it was really painful in comparison with what I am used to.
I'm not a beautician by all means, but I know it depends on the type of wax you use, some waxes stick to hair only, others stick to the skin as well as the hair which obviously hurts more.

Hey your new waxer might just use a totally different wax than your normal therapist, as there are waxes one the market which are more effective than others

Hey your new waxer might just use a totally different wax than your normal therapist, as there are waxes one the market which are more effective than others

Thanks - i didn’t think about brands and their quality. Though the waxing has left sore bright red marks all over my bikini area that are still there a day later. And still hair, broken off just at the skin. So I’ve a feeling it was probably more than just the brand.

It’s almost a relief - I know I wasn’t being particularly sensitive or exaggerating the pain!

Hey there are two different types of wax that are generally used on the bikini area, strip wax and hot wax, also certain times of the month can change body temperature, activities before and after treatment 24 to 48 hours before and after can also affect the healing reactions and the way the wax is removed during treatment, hope this helps you understand a little

Hey there are two different types of wax that are generally used on the bikini area, strip wax and hot wax, also certain times of the month can change body temperature, activities before and after treatment 24 to 48 hours before and after can also affect the healing reactions and the way the wax is removed during treatment, hope this helps you understand a little

Yeah it was the same wax (hot wax) that my other therapist always uses without pain. She just had to keep trying to pull it off and wasn’t able to until the third try, and then redid it with new hot wax, and pulled 2-3 times again, then went over with honey wax, then tweezers, and there’s still stubble. I’ve just never had someone go over it multiple times before - maybe my usual therapist is far more experienced? Also I’ve never had lasting marks on my body before.

Latest posts

Back