Is this a good facial course?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taggyboy

Reaction score
I am interested in doing an NVQ2 in facials. I have spent weeks looking into this and do not want to do the full NVQ. There are no evening classes for me to attend around here and I need to be in the salon most of the time, so I am limited with choice.

I have seen all the threads about qualifications and the debate that has ensued, so I really don't want this to be another post along those lines.

Having chased my tail in all directions I need to do something. I have been informed that the VCTC2 is the equivalent of the NVQ2.

The course is as follows:

The VTCT2 Facial course is a single unit recognised as an international qualification. A combination of theory and practical skills over 4 days. Students will learn how to cleanse the skin, tone, anaylise skin types, exfoliate, massage, mask application and moisturise. The course covers Health and Safety, anatomy, contra-indications, indication and home care.

Students will be assessed on their skills working on clients with various skin types and ages to cover all the requirements.

On completion, this qualification can be used within the Beauty industry, ideal for pre Bridal or special occasion to prepare the skin.

Do you think this course would be regarded as a good enough qualification for me to use in my own salon.

I would obviously further my education and book a course with our product provider.

Last edited:
Bump, anyone please?

Hiya, I've done lots of 2-3 days courses as a mature student, working around my full time job at the time in the office. The facial course was VTCT -think it's just as good as any.
Where abouts are you based?

July x

Thank you for replying, I'm in Kent. Having looked at so many courses this one, I have been told is as close to the nvq2. In fact It's identical and I do get assessed so It's just not an attendance based course.

I'm in the middle of updating my profile, so apologise about lack of info.

Will it be enough to get a job in a salon!

I did the VTCT L2 Facial Massage and Skincare course back in 2007 over a course of (I think) 20 weeks. I did an evening course to fit around my job at the time.

It's a good course which covers loads of theory before they teach any practical.

I used to work for a prestigious spa group and went onto train with Elemis.
Rhiannon x

I think some people are thinking its vtct which I think is different to what your doing if its 4 days?

Will it be enough to get a job in a salon!

Hi Kezza, I don't need to work in another salon I have my own hair and beauty business, daughter is hairdresser. I really want to do facials and already do waxing.

the vtct nvq is split up into units. facials is one of those units.

so if you take a vtct in facials then you will be taking one of the units that makes up the nvq2. this is great in it's own right but then if you wanted to do an nvq2 at a later date, your facial qualification would be counted :)

it's definately worth doing because it's probably the most recognised facial qualification that will allow you to do specific product training at a later date :)

Hi Taggyboy, Its probably worth speaking to whichever skincare brand you use. Give them the information about the Vctc2 qualification and ask whether they would accept it as proof of qualification to do their skincare product knowledge/ training. As you say, you don't want it to work for someone else, but whatever qualification you do you need to ensure that it will be recognised by your skincare product company.

Only other courses I can find are vrq but only 2 days. I want something more substantial.

I think that youre the type of person that will not only do the course, but study heavily to add to your knowlege and perfecting your technique, just as it should be by every therapist!
As long as it is also insurable then I dont see why you should have a problem.

I see these '1 day course and your qualified' as a huge problem within the industry. But!!! Thats for the majority of cases.
There are people like yourself that will strive to perfect and learn and learn and learn afterwards, rather than think oh thats it now i know everything and away you go!

And also, think about the kids that colleges churn out - havent got a clue and dont really care yet have a full qualification.

So for an individual case where there is someone like you then why not do it and start following what you want to do.
All id say is to try and find testimonials from those who've done the course and wether thgey learned what it said they would

Taggy am I right in thinking you use ET? Give HQ a ring and see what they say. It is a recognised qualification so insurance shouldn't be a problem for you. Although the course is only 4 days, with SOA and product knowledge training you would probably be more knowledgable than a lot of therapists who have completed nvq's.
Plus, we know you're a smart cookie ;) xx

Hi Kezza, I don't need to work in another salon I have my own hair and beauty business, daughter is hairdresser. I really want to do facials and already do waxing.

The reason I say this is because people do day courses and can't find a job in a salon and then it's a waste, I have done vtct course's it's a recognised qualification with insurance. Like said before just give a couple of skin ate products a call and see if they recognise. Is it a vtct course? Thought I'd read iI were doing something different.

I think some people are thinking its vtct which I think is different to what your doing if its 4 days?

The course literature is listed as VTCT, I actually cut and paste the site information, so it is correct.

The reason I say this is because people do day courses and can't find a job in a salon and then it's a waste, I have done vtct course's it's a recognised qualification with insurance. Like said before just give a couple of skin ate products a call and see if they recognise. Is it a vtct course? Thought I'd read iI were doing something different.

Yes is definately recognised and I understand that some qualification would get you through a salon door. I've had my share of CV's and interviews with much less than the VTCT. Thank you for helping point this out Kezza

Hi Taggyboy, Its probably worth speaking to whichever skincare brand you use. Give them the information about the Vctc2 qualification and ask whether they would accept it as proof of qualification to do their skincare product knowledge/ training. As you say, you don't want it to work for someone else, but whatever qualification you do you need to ensure that it will be recognised by your skincare product company.

Hi ReVivebeauty, thank you for your help. I have in fact spoken with my skincare provider and they are happy. I would most certainly train with their product knowledge but heavily researched ET before I bought it into the salon for out BT to use. x

I think that youre the type of person that will not only do the course, but study heavily to add to your knowlege and perfecting your technique, just as it should be by every therapist!
As long as it is also insurable then I dont see why you should have a problem.

Matthew, you certainly do know me very well having emailed and helped me so much when researching for ET.

I see these '1 day course and your qualified' as a huge problem within the industry. But!!! Thats for the majority of cases.

There are people like yourself that will strive to perfect and learn and learn and learn afterwards, rather than think oh thats it now i know everything and away you go!

So true, that fact this it is over 4 days and I think I can spread this out in order to get some practice in and I will be assessed, I feel is key. I will learn and practice, get feedback and look for so much more than what the course offers.

And also, think about the kids that colleges churn out - havent got a clue and dont really care yet have a full qualification.

So for an individual case where there is someone like you then why not do it and start following what you want to do.
All id say is to try and find testimonials from those who've done the course and wether thgey learned what it said they would

I also spoke with Eve Taylor last week about the course, insurance and product training once course completed. I was in awe and she was such a help. If Eve Taylor is happy with the course then I'm more than happy.

Thank you for your help, yet again x

Taggy am I right in thinking you use ET? Give HQ a ring and see what they say. It is a recognised qualification so insurance shouldn't be a problem for you. Although the course is only 4 days, with SOA and product knowledge training you would probably be more knowledgable than a lot of therapists who have completed nvq's.
Plus, we know you're a smart cookie ;) xx

Pinkfairy, you are so right, we do have ET in the salon as wanted this for our therapist to use. As she is no longer here, this is one of the reasons for me to train.

As mentioned in my reply to Matthew, I have spoken with Eve herself, so all is good. Will just have to save for the SOA and product knowledge once completed. Exciting and thank you for your help x

VRQs and VTCT qualifications are exactly what they say on the tin: a recognised qualification so I don't think there is anything to regret about doing one...tis simply a case of finding a training provider that you think will be the most thourough and supportive and value for money in terms of contact time.

If you already have facials experience than a 2 day VRQ may still meet your needs because you'll still get a recognised qualification and if you're happy to take responsibility for your own learning then this may work out well for you :)

Latest posts

Back