Is this an allergy? (not my work!)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lala85

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’ve had this client for a couple of years who has gel polish, I use Gelish and we’ve never had any issues. (I’m mobile)

I recently had to have a few months off work due to falling pregnant and suffering really badly with sickness. I’ve since gone back to working part time now the sickness has eased off, I’m 26 weeks now but will likely stop working again in a month or so.

So since going back to work I hadn’t heard from this one client, well she has just messaged me now asking if I can sort her nails out as they’re in terrible state and she’s had an allergy to gel polish.
I’ve asked lots of questions and she’s bought a home kit from boots [emoji849][emoji849] and has been doing them herself and under only two nails it’s red, scabby and sore (see pics) I said if this is an allergy I’m not able to use Gelish or her as any allergy to gel polish is likely to now stay for good. But the pics don’t look typical allergy to me? And she’s being really pushy saying she’s never had this issue with me so it will be fine.

What do you guys think? Would you stay clear now?

Please note I have not seen or done this ladies nails since September.

Thanks everyone!
727ced8b5659f9af3452dd810c2605b8.jpg
047964e122f4fcd8d1f0ac89bec6b94b.jpg

Has she been to the drs with it? X

Has she been to the drs with it? X

No she hasn’t yet, She said she’s emailed the company that make the “home kit” to see what they say.
I’m not happy to touch them at all whilst they look like that anyway but after they’ve healed I’m wondering whether I should still stay clear? I haven’t seen it in person only the pics. X

Really blurry pictures
She needs to go to the doctor’s but from what I see I think it’s damage, not allergy
Perhaps she overbuffed it? There is healthy nail growing at the back. Were this an allergy, it would probably be all over.

Looks more like damage rather than allergy.
She's probably been peeling / picking off her gel polish rather than soaking off and has wrecked her nail.
I would tell the client to contact you again in 2 months once her nails have grown out /recovered and give her advice on how to look after them at home until then...and keep off the home products!

If she isn’t qualified she could have been applying the gel to her skin by accident, (just messy application in general) causing an allergy/reaction. But I’m no doctor so can’t say 100% that that’s what’s the problem is.

Thanks everyone. From the pics it didn’t look allergic to me but hard to tell from pictures and she is about 20 mins away so popping round to check on them isn’t that easy. I have told her not to use the home kit again and I’ll advise her to maybe see her doctor to make sure it’s not any kind of infection etc
Thanks again

I asked if she’d seen the dr as it doesn’t look like an allergic reaction (sorry I didn’t reply straight away, our cat dropped dead this morning! [emoji33]). Definitely persuade her to go. If it was a reaction then it’d be on all of her fingers x

This looks very much like subungual hyperkeratosis to me. It's a form of psoriasis and as such non contagious. I suffer from it. The skin under nail grows too much causing the nail to lift. The skin can crack and be painful. A gp probably will not recognise it as it is rare. IIwentI totatot dermatologist and I use a liquid steroidstos keep it under control.

Latest posts

Back