Is this fair ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sassy_minx24

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I would really like to hear your opinions on this............

I work in a wholesalers p/time and one of the girls I work with booked on a nail training course which is held where I work (A company comes in and does the training) Last week she had her final exam day.

For the practical exam the candidates had to complete one hand of extensions. (I won't refer to them as enhancements) They were given 1hr 15mins. Unfortunately my friend ran out of time and she failed. She was devestated, I'd seen how hard she'd worked in the month leading up to the exam, she did her own nails which looked really nice, she'd also been doing other peoples.

When she'd finished her exam I spoke to her & she said she'd failed, I couldn't believe it I asked if I could see the nails she'd done, so she got the girl that she'd worked on. They looked ok, quite smooth & thin all she needed to do before finishing is abit of buffing which would have taken 5 mins !!! The girl she'd worked on, worked on my friend and her "finished" nails were horrendous they were really thick, bumpy, mishaped and had already started to lift ! But she passed !!

My friend said during her exam the "trainer" kept saying "she didn't see her do this, and she didn't see her do that" When my friend said she had done it, the trainer said "well I didn't see you do it, so go back & do it" Surely if this hadn't happened she wouldn't have ran out of time ?

The product they trained with was an L&P which had to be cured under uv. She'd been trained to complete all four nails at once and cure, then the thumbs, she said by the time she'd got to the last nail, the product on the first nail was running down the finger ! So she'd used her initiative & cured each nail for 10 secs as she went along and then all four together. But she was told doing this had wasted time !

I spoke to the trainer briefly and all she could say was I can't pass her it's not fair on the other people on the course. She said the time given is what's expected in a salon.

This whole thing has really annoyed me !! The girl who rushed through the exam and produced nails that resembled the peak district is now going to get a certificate to say she can do nails. My friend who took her time a little and produced nails which were nice isn't !!!

My friend has now got to wait untill June to re do her exam. I suggested that she looks around at other products on the market. I saw her at work today and she's going to be working in her friends new salon which is opening in may, her friend gave her a sample of Ezflo to try as this is what will be used in the salon and she loves it !!! , so she's going to Bolton tomorrow to speak to them.

What do you think ? Do you think she has been treated fairly ? Do you believe that the quality of the finished nails is more important than the amount of time it takes to produce them ?

I'd really appreciate your feedback, I will relay it back to her, as you can imagine she's feeling a little deflated at the minute !

Thanx Sassy x

I totally agree with you she should not have been failed. It is the quality of the nails that is important, not the time it takes.

I actually totally agree with you, i would much rather take a little longer to produce great nails than stick to a time limit which could compromise the finished look. When i did my training we also had a time limit when it came to the final practical exam. Two other girls that were with me both went to pieces and took abit longer, i think they ran over by 15 mins. Our trainer said she would give us the extra if the nails produced were very good.

I thought this to be a fair thing as like any exam you have nerves especially when limited on time. She said we would fail if they weren't good enough by then, but she was reasonably fair. I understand that in a salon you are commited to a time limit, but when i was practising on my friends they didn't ever care how long it took as long as the finished nails were good.

You do get quicker the more you do but rushing it will never produce a good result and compromise the service your providing.:biggrin:

here we go again, i wish someone could make me understand about this timeing thing, my friend at college last week did her p&w assesments ( i modelled ) and the only thing that seemed to be important was, that she did them in the time allowed.
lets say i saw some sites, and yes they all had a c for competant :eek:
i understand that you have to keep to a time when working back to back in a salon, but surely your nails have to be pretty hot too, otherwise ya not gonna have the clients anyway.

I hope the company she has trained with allow for an exam resit in the initial fee that was paid, it will be a shame if she has to pay again. Exam nerves affect most of us and that is what has slowed her down, i bet she can work fine under normal conditions

wish her luck for her next exam x x

When I was at college doing VTCT this timing thing was on nearly every assessment I did!....."Nice nails....Just speed up" " A good try but work towards commercially acceptable time"

I still take on average 2 hours to complete a full set of enhancements and Im proud of my finished result. I have only been "doing nails" for 12 months and Im not worried at all by the time I take. I just concentrate on the QUALITY of my finished work!
If I dont ever speed up....then so be it! I always know Ive done my best and not cut corners in any way.
The timing issue surely is a matter that only improves with practice and in my opinion it is unfair to ask a novice to perform at the same speed as someone thats been "at it" for yonks! :)

I finished my VCTC in January 2004 - and we were always told time was not important at this learning stage, quality and perfect nails were all important. We were taught to get everything right from the start and "production" would follow as a matter of course.Noz
Nice Nails

1hr 15mins? for an exam - that is silly. When l did my NVQ units we were given 2 hours to complete our sets.

As many of you said it is the end result that is the most important not keeping to a strict time.

Yes with practice you do get the time factor down, but when something is rushed especially in an exam environment with nerves and maybe a bit of panic that is when things go wrong.

If the verifier was expecting to see everything then there should have been one for each candidate.

Give your friend a pat on the back from me! :biggrin: in the long run her nails with outway the peak district ones and she will get the clients because her work is more important then doing a set like 'wonder woman'!

Can you imagine the reaction if we treated our students like that? We don't use the word 'FAIL'; if it is a no pass situation we would phone and explain that the said student would need to come back on some 1-2-1 so that we can get them to the right place - we would not charge for this as it is up to US to help our students to pass!!!

Was it 1hr 15mins for only one hand? How long was the course? I assume it was some thing like a 4 or 5 day course? A bit unrealistic to expect everyone to finish in that time. Seems to me like the company need to review their assesment. There may need to be a time limit but it should be quite flexible...i don't think that your friend should have been failed for not meeting this one criteria! especially as she was not far off finishing!!

Hi

Thanks for all your feedback.

I'm glad you all agree. I shall tell her what was said, I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

She won't have to pay to re do the exam, but she will have to drive to liverpool to re do it ! (were in manchester). I personally wouldn't waste my petrol driving over there ! At the end of the day she'll just get a piece of paper from a company that couldn't give a toss what happens to her once she's trained with them, they've taken her money, so they're happy !!!

I've got a good mind to name and shame them, but I won't !!!

Thanks again Sassy xx

Hi I think it's unfair and untrue for the trainer to say a salon will expect nails to be done in 1 hr 15 mins by a new technician....

I allow 2 or more hours for a new technician in my salon, to allow for a quality set of enhancements.... I simply charge just a little less, clients know this is for their patience. They are always rewarded with good quality.
I have had several people come to me for work, who should never have passed without further training, who could do nails in an hour.... I'm sure most salons would prefer to get a good tech with the ability to speed up, rather than someone who has very little ability at all.
sassy_minx24 said:
Hi

Thanks for all your feedback.

I'm glad you all agree. I shall tell her what was said, I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

She won't have to pay to re do the exam, but she will have to drive to liverpool to re do it ! (were in manchester). I personally wouldn't waste my petrol driving over there ! At the end of the day she'll just get a piece of paper from a company that couldn't give a toss what happens to her once she's trained with them, they've taken her money, so they're happy !!!

I've got a good mind to name and shame them, but I won't !!!

Thanks again Sassy xx

was it a star nails course by any chance?? I've got my exam with them in about 1.5 weeks, and i am so nervouse as i've had hardly anybody to practice on and dont have a model!!

I have to say i have been so unimpressed with their products but feel its impossible to change now, as i've spent so much money on this!!

Tell your friend, i know how she feels, really really dissapointed! (and i haven't even taken the exam yet!!)
I sent a complaint off to them cause one of the 3 different tutors i had turned up 1.5 hours late and finishe 1hr early on the infils day and had no reply to that!!

Oh well! Just hope i pass at least, even if the products are rubbish! :o :evil: :cry: :!: :sad:

hi

With college you are expected to meet a certain criteria and unfortunetly one of those things is time, we never use the words pass or fail it is : sumative (all summed up and if you like passed) and formative (still forming evidence in other words needs more practice) I think to say someone has failed can be very demorilizing and as a tutor our job is to nuture and encourage not put people down, to give constructive critism and praise where its due. I am training to be an assesor and if i was to ask one of my students to repeat something i need to see that i had missed i would knock that time off her final. We have to follow the guidelines set for us. However as this was a product course i think that the tutor was a little hard on your friend and could have given her a bit of leeway.

This sounds like a nightmare!

I did a 4 day foundation and loved it although it was a lot of informaiton to take in.

I certainly never felt pressured into a time limit.

It sounds like your friend has the right idea to commit to good nails at a slower rate. I hope she passes next time - Im sure she will!

twotooty2fruity said:
was it a star nails course by any chance?? I've got my exam with them in about 1.5 weeks, and i am so nervouse as i've had hardly anybody to practice on and dont have a model!!

I have to say i have been so unimpressed with their products but feel its impossible to change now, as i've spent so much money on this!!

Tell your friend, i know how she feels, really really dissapointed! (and i haven't even taken the exam yet!!)
I sent a complaint off to them cause one of the 3 different tutors i had turned up 1.5 hours late and finishe 1hr early on the infils day and had no reply to that!!

Oh well! Just hope i pass at least, even if the products are rubbish! :o :evil: :cry: :!: :sad:

Hi tooty, just to let you know i did mine with star nails which i found to be excellent. I never had different tutors, always the same, never late always early and i learn't a hell of a lot and felt really confident when i started out on my own. Plus my tutor is always on the end of the phone if i get stuck.

Sounds like you were very unfortunate with your course, hope you pass, which i'm sure you will. :sad::biggrin:

I think the treatment received by your friend is absolutely appalling. Does she still have on the nails that were done on her - take photos, can she take photos of the nails she did? Personally I'd be inclined to write to the company involved - include piccys if you can get them for backup evidence and tell them what happened. If there is no satisfactory response from the company itself is there another body that could be advised? (Maybe one of the more experienced techs or more law knowledgeable among us could advise?).

I think it's disgusting that this kind of stuff is allowed and that poor quality nails pass exams- no wonder the industry has such a hard time when the people who should know better clearly don't!

Unless the company can provide a decent explanation of why she failed (and quality vs time doen't cut it with me) and cover the cost of travelling/expenses to resit the exam in Liverpool I'd tell them to shove it. I know it's hard when you've invested money but seeing what they consider to be aas 'pass' does she really want their 'certification' behind her?

B

Hi Bryony

She still had the nails on yesterday when I saw her. I told her to take pictures, not sure if she's going to. To be honest with you I'm not sure whether she's going to bother with the exam.

She didn't pay full whack for the course as she's employed at the wholesalers & we stock this company's products, so I suppose this company looks at it from a sales point of view, i.e let the staff train for less and they'll recommend/sell the products to customers. At the end of the day she's lost money, but she could have lost alot more.

Personally I wouldn't train with them if it was free !!! Besides you can't beat Creative !!!!

Sassy xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back