Is this gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winky

Reaction score
Hi, I broke a nail yesterday and went into a nail shop to ask if they used gel and could repair the nail. They said that they used uv gel and then went on to explain that they use a liquid and powder mix, aitbrush then top gloss. So i asked if she meant that she used acrylic with a gel gloss over it or if it was actually an odorless acrylic, but she insisted that it was gel. Now i haven't ever heard of this before and when i mentioned this she rudely told me to check my supplier! So was she just trying to pass off acrylic nails with a uv top gloss as gel nails?

P.S. I didn't get to see the process because I didn't let her touch my nails.

sawasdee ka

I see in america that some nail salons are now do acrylic nail with gel overlay this system is being made by many asian techs .

I do not know if the nails will be strong or beautifull i have friends america i will ask i want to know same.

This week i have 1 lady come german 1 lady come france and i lady come england all have break gel nail i make 1 new and lady german speak i in Thai for 12 more day i will break more and come back for sure .

Gel nail not strong for some lady maybe the acrylic and gel overlay is good for some lady .

As every time lady in nail speak no good about the asian nail techs but i think maybe this system start in asia and friend speAk america asian and them start do .

maybe in 5 years more ladys will start to look to asia for ideas in nail because in japan korea taiwan vietnam they have some of the best nail techs and nail art in the world .

A lady speak me that some things with nail that in england and america them start to do now they have made in japan for 10 year more i will try to post today a photo of a gel flower in a gel nail with tutorial made in japan if you have same in england nail magazine i want see please .

I hope every body have very happy new year .

Kop khun ka mui ka

I know that it is possible to do acrylics with gel top gloss. I do this sometimes too. But what I want to know is whether this lady was trying to pass off acrylics as gels or is there some "gel" system that is a liquid and powder that i've never heard of.

Gel is, to be specific, a premixed oligamer which is to say that gels are a partly polymerised product that won't fully polymerise until exposed to a UV light. Therefore .... a liquid and powder is NOT a true gel!

This is debated a lot. Some companies such as Le Chat, make a "powder gel" product, where you sprinkle powder over resin. However some NSS use L&P with a coat of UV Gel topcoat and charge you more for "gel" nails. I suspect you might have been offered this combination. If it were me I would have asked - nicely - if they'd mind showing me the product because it sounded "ingtriguing". Any reputable place should do this without a problem, then you could satisfy your curiosity.

Laura

Well,
years ago I tried a L&P system, it was UV set...........
Powder and liquid but needed the uv light to cure............
It left a rubbery coating that had to be buffed off.........
It is odourless and I thought it would be perfect for my salon......
I used it twice and never used it again, I was not impressed..........
It is still available maybe thats what they used, but insist it's gel as it needs a UV light ??????
just a thought

Yes, I too suspect that it was L&P with a uv gel top gloss, which is fine if that's what I had asked for!! Here in Montreal, Canada the NSS salons have a habit of doing this and calling it "gel nails". I did my mom's nails with gel when she visited me in europe then once back in montreal she tried to get a refill. They insisted that they knew how to do gel nails then proceeded to try to soak them off with acetone!!! Then they tried filing and they removed the tips by prying them off with another nail tip! And just a few days ago my cousin told me that she went to a nail shop and asked for gel nails, so they put acrylic on her nails with a gel gloss over it.

scratchmyback said:
This is debated a lot. Some companies such as Le Chat, make a "powder gel" product, where you sprinkle powder over resin.
LeChat actually is a UV gel (acrylated urethane) with acrylic powder sprinkled over it

scratchmyback said:
However some NSS use L&P with a coat of UV Gel topcoat and charge you more for "gel" nails. I suspect you might have been offered this combination. If it were me I would have asked - nicely - if they'd mind showing me the product because it sounded "ingtriguing". Any reputable place should do this without a problem, then you could satisfy your curiosity.
Laura
Yes this is very, very common also here in Canada, I had numerous people tell me that they had "gel nails" and when I asked them if they had applied gel like substance or liquid and powder, they said liquid and powder :!: But at the end they put a layer of gel gloss and cure it under the light.
Also theese clients have been told that those "gel nails" are better for their nails and thats why they are more expensive :shock: .
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
What a uneducated statement!! :?

sawasdee ka

The last 4 lady who have Thailand holiday come my shop and have nail break all have gel and them all speak gel not strong same acrylic but them like gel .

So i maybe for some lady is a good idea to have acrylic nail and if them want a gel over lay maybe good for them lady .

lady have nail break not from 1 country have 4 country i not sure if a acrlic nail with gel over lay will look same a gel nail because i not see b4 but i think not bad idea for some lady sure .

Kop khun ka mui ka

Going off topic slightly, for my ladies that really love gel nails but have the odd break, I put a piece of fabric underneath the gel for a bit of extra support

Hi

Ive read that fibreglass can be added to gel for extra strength but at what stage would you apply?

Cristine :)

sawasdee ka

i see this on an other board have some ladys have simply elegant uv gel by elegant glass and them mix acrylic powder with gel using gel like monomer they dip brush in gel then pick up powder apply to nail and cure under 9 watt lampfor 30 sec them use white powder for white tip.

I copy this i not speak do this ka .

Maybe this nail you speak about b4 i think was acrylic with gel overlay .

Good nite i go home now my shop terrible to day .

Mui ka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back