SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christinanails1

Reaction score
Hey! My name is Christina and im a new nail tech, I've been doing my own nails for years but recently started doing others and graduated manicuring classes a little less then a year ago.

Nails are my passion and i recently started working at a salon and I've been there around almost 6 months now. At first i really loved working here but im am recently starting to feel uncomfortable going in.

There are multiple unsanitary issues i see on a daily basis. for example, the pedicure bins are not properly cleaned and there is gunk in the jets/in the drain. I've asked if there was a way to take the jets out and clean it but was told there isn't.

Also whenever my co worker asks for a new file she has to say 'old' or 'used' file because my boss does not like using new files on clients. The disinfectant sometimes is not changed all week and there are toenails floating around the bottom.

My boss tells me constantly when I'm doing a pedicure i need to 'dig' in and get the fungus out of some toes which I'm not comfortable doing sometimes since there are a lot of older retired people near where i am and the fungus is sometimes unbearable and you can’t even make out what is nail or skin.

She makes people bleed sometimes when taking out ingrown toenails which she is also pressuring me to do and that is very uncomfortable for me. she recently hired a new girl at the salon and she is new to nails just like me and now i am making half the money i was making before. (which was not amazing to begin with). For example i only make 25 dollars for 6 hours of work yesterday. this is all really starting to get to me and i dont know what to do because i feel like the way she runs her salon is wrong but shes making me feel like i should be doing this stuff and that its normal.

Please let me know your opinions on this. I'm very stuck and don't know if this is a normal thing in nail salons. i love what i do and i do very nice work and want to work somewhere sanitary that doesn't dig very bad fungus and ingrowns out of toes.

Thank you.

I’m a bit short of time but ... Fungal infections are a contra- indication and are very contagious not to mention horrid for you! You should not be working on them at all.
I would definitely be looking for another position or have you thought of working for yourself? x

I’m a bit short of time but ... Fungal infections are a contra- indication and are very contagious not to mention horrid for you! You should not be working on them at all.
I would definitely be looking for another position or have you thought of working for yourself? x
i have thought about working for myself but i have no clientele.... only a couple regulars who come to me at the salon. im scared if i leave ill have no chance at even making a clientele. and around me are a lot of retired people who dont want the stuff i offer like long nails with swarovskis and designs.... and its so hard. im thinking about traveling an hour away to start doing this stuff but im scared since my boss told me all salons are like this and that i will have to learn how to dig out fungus and ingrown toes....

While you're deciding to stay or go, you could start to improve standards in the salon yourself as part of your role. It would be good if you can get your co-worker on side too.
Make a chart & put it in the staff area. On it list all the routine jobs that need doing on a daily / weekly basis and then when the job has been done the person who did it initials & dates the chart. The boss can't really say against this as you are 'just doing your job with regards to H&S'.
I have found this method works really well in a salon where there are different staff and sometimes people just don't realise what needs doing or just can't be bothered. Signing the chart is a bit of a name & shame exercise in effect. It becomes obvious who's not pulling their weight.

So from your post above you could list for example:
  • empty & clean bins daily
  • sterilise the pedicure jets with sterilising solution each week or as required
  • Disinfect files with sanitising spray
  • Change sterilising fluid for metal tools as per manufacturers instructions
The fungus & ingrown toenail issues are a bit of a concern though.
Sometimes clients have dead skin that can be safely removed from under the nail after soaking - but this is not fungal.

As Blossom says above, a real fungal infection should not be treated and the client should be referred to their doctor.
Removing ingrown nails is for a qualified chiropodist to do, not therapists. It may be that your boss has done an extra course to cover for this, so diplomatically check your facts first. Perhaps say something like "Gosh, did you do extra training to be able do that? Wow, my certificate doesn't allow me to carry out that technique!"

On balance though, it all sounds a bit grotty and you probably should start your own salon somehow.

Hey! My name is Christina and im a new nail tech, I've been doing my own nails for years but recently started doing others and graduated manicuring classes a little less then a year ago.

Nails are my passion and i recently started working at a salon and I've been there around almost 6 months now. At first i really loved working here but im am recently starting to feel uncomfortable going in.

There are multiple unsanitary issues i see on a daily basis. for example, the pedicure bins are not properly cleaned and there is gunk in the jets/in the drain. I've asked if there was a way to take the jets out and clean it but was told there isn't.

Also whenever my co worker asks for a new file she has to say 'old' or 'used' file because my boss does not like using new files on clients. The disinfectant sometimes is not changed all week and there are toenails floating around the bottom.

My boss tells me constantly when I'm doing a pedicure i need to 'dig' in and get the fungus out of some toes which I'm not comfortable doing sometimes since there are a lot of older retired people near where i am and the fungus is sometimes unbearable and you can’t even make out what is nail or skin.

She makes people bleed sometimes when taking out ingrown toenails which she is also pressuring me to do and that is very uncomfortable for me. she recently hired a new girl at the salon and she is new to nails just like me and now i am making half the money i was making before. (which was not amazing to begin with). For example i only make 25 dollars for 6 hours of work yesterday. this is all really starting to get to me and i dont know what to do because i feel like the way she runs her salon is wrong but shes making me feel like i should be doing this stuff and that its normal.

Please let me know your opinions on this. I'm very stuck and don't know if this is a normal thing in nail salons. i love what i do and i do very nice work and want to work somewhere sanitary that doesn't dig very bad fungus and ingrowns out of toes.

Thank you.
I think clients come back to clean salons. They notice things, like getting their own fresh nail file and seeing that tools and equipment are clean. It sounds like your boss is more interested in penny pinching than keeping her clientele safe. Maybe she needs a refresher course on Health and Safety/contraindications! Can you have some kind of poster up or something?
Treating people with fungal infections is the most worrying thing you mentioned, along with the ingrown toenails. Expecting staff to be able to do the work of a trained Chiropodist?
I use 1 file per client. I usually either throw it away afterwards, or I let them keep it. I have disposable liners for my spa pedicure bowl. Can you find somewhere else to work? Or are you able to become a mobile nail tech? Sounds to me like you should be in charge! If the salon were cleaner it might be busier and you would naturally earn more money! I hope you find the solution. x

Latest posts

Back