Is this Onycholysis?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Reaction score
A client hit her nail months ago, this never seems ro repair itself but doesn't seem to get any worse, is it likely to be Onycholysis?

Attachments

• IMG_20190922_200711.jpg
    IMG_20190922_200711.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 129
Looks like it to me. Is it possibly growing out just slowly?

It does look like Onycholysis. I think whoever has this should visit GP for fungal infection test, and cut nails short. Probably use regular nail polish for some time

Looks like it to me. Is it possibly growing out just slowly?
Thanks for your reply.
t's been like it for well over 6 months and she's a fast grower

It does look like Onycholysis. I think whoever has this should visit GP for fungal infection test, and cut nails short. Probably use regular nail polish for some time
Thanks for your reply. She had a visit to the Dr months ago and they were certain it wasn't fungal, it's just strange because it's shown no signs of growing out.

Does she have psoriasis at all? I only ask because I do myself and I have patches on my nails occasionally that can look like this, usually pitted too. I keep them very short and it comes and goes.

It does look like it. The nail mustn’t be longer than the finger or each time it catches on something it will help detach a bit further down the nailbed.

Use solar oil under the nail. The vitamin E will help nail to reattach to skin. It’ll take ages though!

This does look like Onycholysis, but as you said, it is healing very slowly. This is most likely because the cause of the separation is still present. Sometimes, the trauma is nothing more than the constant tapping of the nail as the client types, sometimes it is exposure to chemicals. The best strategy for you is to keep her nails short and cease using gel polish. She might also try twice daily applications of solar oil or tea tree oil and supplemental biotin. And of course, if it continues, she should go back to her physician since there are medical conditions that could cause this.

Latest posts

Back