Is this really a gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winky

Reaction score
There have been some threads recently discussing some salons trying to pass off other products as gel nails. I came accross a website that advertises a powder gel. I once walked in to a salon that claimed to use liquid and powder gel but i wasn't convinced, and they wouldn't show me the product or the brand name. The site doesn't mention any brand name either. Here is what was written on the webpage...

"Powder Gel is the latest material used for Gel Nails system, Gel Powder is look like Acrylic power, but unlikely acrylic, power gel nails is look more Clear, thinner and natural than Acrylic. ... we offer a range of services using Gel powder, being applied on natural nails, with tips or as an in-fills (called 'fillins' in the USA). A paste formed from a gel powder and liquid system, the Powder Gel is applied using a sable brush and is the quickest system available to reach the target of a gorgeous set of nails.
For a set of Gel nails, we use the same format with the acrylic powder, first of all the technician will first apply a primer to the prepared natural nail plate.
The primer is allowed to dry before dipping a sable brush into Gel liquid then, picking up a small bead of Gel Powder, applying it to the nail and spreading it out evenly. This process is repeated until the whole of the nails are coated completely. Filing and shaping follows, finally being buffed to a high shine finish, resulting in a full set of Power Gel in about 1 hour."

Is this really a gel? It sounds an awful lot like l&p to me!

First off, gel is 'acrylic' and second... eveything else is typical of a L&P application. Some salons are calling L&P 'gel' to put a different spin on the service. THe vast majority of these also happen to be NSS.

If it is white, it waddles and it quacks... its most likely not a dog ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back