Is this reasonable for an employee?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrubadub

Reaction score
Hi all

I am employed by a salon, I receive hourly rate plus commission on products and have holiday and sickness etc etc

The boss is currently refusing to replace tweezers which have blunted and advised we can bring our own if we want to. Her reasoning is that the hairdressers have to bring their own scissors and kit in. I don’t want to take my own as I don’t want them to be used by the other girls there as they will get damaged!

Is this reasonable of the owner or should we be protesting this?

Could you not just take them in & home again with you each day so the other girls cant use them? They are only small so not like you are lugging a beauty couch around with you...

I would imagine that technically the salon owner should provide all equipment, but imo its such a small thing to protest about & possibly cause bad feeling that I would just do it, give & take & all that! Xx

Could you not just take them in & home again with you each day so the other girls cant use them? They are only small so not like you are lugging a beauty couch around with you...

I would imagine that technically the salon owner should provide all equipment, but imo its such a small thing to protest about & possibly cause bad feeling that I would just do it, give & take & all that! Xx

Yes I can but I don’t want to leave them in the beauty rooms while I’m on the nail bar, I need normal tweezers, eyelash extension tweezers, eyelash extension glue, eye tape and cuticle nippers really :/

Hang on, your original post just said tweezers & that I can understand.

Is she asking you to provide EVERYTHING to perform a set of lashes?

If it is 1-2 pairs of tweezers, then that I dont think is unreasonable. My tweezers come in leather wallets you can carry them in & keep them with you regardless of where you are. But if shes asking you to provide consumables & glue... thats not right if you are employed... xx

Hang on, your original post just said tweezers & that I can understand.

Is she asking you to provide EVERYTHING to perform a set of lashes?

If it is 1-2 pairs of tweezers, then that I dont think is unreasonable. My tweezers come in leather wallets you can carry them in & keep them with you regardless of where you are. But if shes asking you to provide consumables & glue... thats not right if you are employed... xx

She will pay for the glue and tape if I get my own which is fine, I would want 2 sets of eyelash tweezers, normal tweezers and potentially some cuticle nippers, we don’t have pockets or anything so I would literally just have to carry them around

Then carry them around?

It sounds like your mind is already made up that you don’t want to provide them.

Your question was wether it was a reasonable request. And as a business owner, my opinion is yes, it is a reasonable request. If you don’t want to do it then tell your boss that xx

Then carry them around?

It sounds like your mind is already made up that you don’t want to provide them.

Your question was wether it was a reasonable request. And as a business owner, my opinion is yes, it is a reasonable request. If you don’t want to do it then tell your boss that xx

Thanks for your replies :)

No, the employer must by law, provide the necessary products and equipment for you to carry out your job safely.
They cannot insist that you use your own tools and equipment.
It is common practice for hairdressers to choose to use their own scissors, but most will happily use the electrical tools supplied by the salon as they have to be regularly PAT tested.

No, the employer must by law, provide the necessary products and equipment for you to carry out your job safely.
They cannot insist that you use your own tools and equipment.
It is common practice for hairdressers to choose to use their own scissors, but most will happily use the electrical tools supplied by the salon as they have to be regularly PAT tested.

That’s what I thought, the tweezers are all messed up so basically unusable

Nah, not reasonable at all. She's being a cheap skate. That is ridiculous. Blunt tools are just part and parcel of having paying clients coming in and she should factor in wear and tear on tools and consumables in to the salon service prices.

Nah, not reasonable at all. She's being a cheap skate. That is ridiculous. Blunt tools are just part and parcel of having paying clients coming in and she should factor in wear and tear on tools and consumables in to the salon service prices.

You should see the eyelash extension ones, the ends have like snapped off

You should see the eyelash extension ones, the ends have like snapped off
Honestly this is ridiculous. How are you supposed to do a correct and suitable treatment without proper implements. Look through your employee contract to see what it says about providing you with suitable tools to carry out your work. If there's anything in there show it to her.

Honestly this is ridiculous. How are you supposed to do a correct and suitable treatment without proper implements. Look through your employee contract to see what it says about providing you with suitable tools to carry out your work. If there's anything in there show it to her.

I will grab it out in the morning and have a look

This is not reasonable for the salon owner to ask of their employees. I also feel it may be just the start of more ‘ways’ to cut cost?

This is not reasonable for the salon owner to ask of their employees. I also feel it may be just the start of more ‘ways’ to cut cost?

Oh yeah it’s totally because she doesn’t want to pay out, the head beauty therapist won’t stand up to her either

A bit silly to not provide tweezers but each to their own, a bit of a pain if you forget them at home. You’ll just need to leave it there in your own little space and ask the others not to touch

No I don’t think it’s reasonable. As an employed member of staff I would expect you to be provided with tools for your job. I wouldn’t like to think how you stand for insurance purposes using something from home. I had a therapist who used cuticle scissors. She said they were the only things she liked working with. I refused to allow them in salon. It’s not something we use!

The only way forward is when clients complain about services and she or he will realise that some areas need investment.

I’m just glad to read that at least they’re employing you properly [emoji6]

Vic x

Hi all

So we have now been told we have to have our own nails tools and tweezers and it doesn’t sound like the head therapist has done anything to go against this grr

I’m obviously very ‘Old School’.....
In my opinion, these are ‘tools of the trade’ and as such I would always want - and expect - to use my own choice of equipment.

I’m obviously very ‘Old School’.....
In my opinion, these are ‘tools of the trade’ and as such I would always want - and expect - to use my own choice of equipment.

It’s just annoying because they have changed the policy and I don’t want the other people using my stuff

Latest posts

Back