Is this true?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauraa1981

Reaction score
When colouring grey hair 70% plus and wanting to achieve a level 5 or under. You should be using 10 vol instead of 20? Is this correct.?
Started a nee job and the hairdresser said that this is basic colour theroy. Wtf?

If you are colouring grey hair 70% plus 20 vol will do the job. 10 is not stong enough to colour resistant grey hair, it needs the strength and power of 20vol to open the cuticle and penetrate to the cortex to provide full colour and eliminate grey hair.

Thanks. This is what i thought also. He made me feel like i didnt know what i was going

I also aquired a few clients through this problem... They were going to a hairdresser that was using a semi on there grey and charging them for a permanent! And the grey was coming back after 2 washes... They taught this was normal and so kept going until one day I needed a model and they have been with me since.

Thanks. This is what i thought also. He made me feel like i didnt know what i was going

Just a thought....are you younger than him?
Does he know his ombrés from his balayage and his baby lights from his colour melts?
He might unconsciously be feeling a bit 'out of date' by comparison and so he's compensating by demonstrating that his years of experience are more relevant than your training in the latest techniques.

Some egos bruise rather easily...
I'd probably just thank him politely for his advice but then do it my own way. ;)

For many brands 10volume is for for deposit only (going darker) as you don't need any lift, but usually you need 20volume to develop the dye molecules completely. It may vary between brands and it is def. not basic knowledge

I've always been taught 20vol covers grey 10vol for depositing colour of the same level or darker and anything higher than 20vol is for lifting. Although in kemon (our salons colour) one of their permanent ranges uses 30vol in their naturals range i.e not superlight colours and their highlifts used with 40vol. Its a very different brand to what I'm used to (Wella)
It sounds to me like it could be tactical to get clients to return more regularly?? Just a thought. X

Latest posts

Back