Is traditional nail varnish needed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napatak

Reaction score
Hi There,
I'd appreciate your opinions on this as i'm really stuck as to what to do. I'm starting up a mobile nail and tanning service, using Shellac and Gelish. I'm finalising price list and don't know how much business i'll get for 'normal' varnish. Or should i stick with the gels? Although i'm aware there is Vinylux etc and it dries fast and lasts ok, i'm just not sure if the cost of taking this on will be worth the business generated. How many of you other gel only or both and what's the take up like? Thanks in advance :wink2:

I meant to say 'how many of you offer (not other!!) gel or both'' :)

Both and I've done 1 regular manicure all year! If you only do natural nail care vinylux would be great for you, people can't deal with wet nail polish anymore lol but only if you get demand of course! X

Thanks Gem, so far i've done friends and family and although i offer 'regular' polish they only want gel. Can i ask what the price difference is that you charge on the 2 types? :)

i get NO requests for polish manicures, but i do retail Vinylux - it's v popular.

Thanks Curvy Girl, that's what i was thinking, Vinylux is good for retail and then are you not possibly losing repeat business from this by selling it to customers?

Thanks Gem, so far i've done friends and family and although i offer 'regular' polish they only want gel. Can i ask what the price difference is that you charge on the 2 types? :)

My reg manicure starts at £14 and my gelish starts at £20. Once even the die hard polish ladies have shellac/gelish etc they never look back! I only do shaping cuticle work etc with gelish mani is basic soak massage etc xx

Thanks Gem, for an extra £6 i personaly would go for gel everytime. I need to think this through as i don't want to alienate a particular client base but at same time don't want to spend money on polish and not use it......

Also i do wonder whether CND will put Vinylux out there for sale to the mass market, with the large selection of colours, no need for special equipment and the attractive price point. A bit like Sienna X has just done with their retail products in M&S stores.......

I do quite a lot of regular manicures and polish toes. I guess it depends on where your clients come from, I have acquired a number of more senior ladies (and two gents, but they don't have colour) that love their manicures.

Thanks Ch-ela where are you located roughly?

Also i do wonder whether CND will put Vinylux out there for sale to the mass market, with the large selection of colours, no need for special equipment and the attractive price point. A bit like Sienna X has just done with their retail products in M&S stores.......

I very much doubt it! Some people might try it instead of shellac but they both have a place, and i think once s gel/shellac convert they dont go back to polish of any kind, clients might like for toes or hands thou on top- bonus! I like a good few polish ranges but the dry time of vinylux is Super! See how you go with your gel and tans then add in if need be maybe? I don't retail it by the way only tried it Sunday after getting a bottle at Olympia ❤ im a bit of a polish tart I'm afraid all different brands 😘 haha!

Thanks Ch-ela where are you located roughly?

I'm in the midlands, but what I meant was that I now am situated in a well established hair salon with very loyal clients, so these are having manicures like they did all those years ago. Some of them have converted to gel but a lot of them like the fact that they can remove the polish themselves. Some have a clear gel for strength and then polish over the top, especially those that are not allowed colour for work.

I've a load of normal polish so probably best to just stick with those for now and see how it goes :) won't know until i get properly up and running i guess so will have to gauge it. Thank you, and i was at Olympia Sunday, was a great day!

Thanks Ch-ela this puts a different spin on it, gives me something to think about :)

I've a load of normal polish so probably best to just stick with those for now and see how it goes :) won't know until i get properly up and running i guess so will have to gauge it. Thank you, and i was at Olympia Sunday, was a great day!

Definitely a good plan ! I'm always buying polish but I've used it once in the last fortnight on extensions :-/ might have to have a little polish party for one at the weekend lol! Oh yes love a good beauty show!

Just curious, for those who don't use regular nail polish, do you use gel polish on toes or do you not do pedicures?

See I dont often use regular nail polish for general manicures but LOADS of my clients have nail art done with regular polish. So I use it all the time. Like this for instance..... is done with regular nail polish xx

Attachments

• 1380161746019.jpg
    1380161746019.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 138
Since i have changed over to Vinylux polish, its doing better than gel polish. There is a fab range of colours, its lovely to work with, it dries in 8 minutes, it last 7 days +. My client is now on day 15 with no chips, and they can remove it at home!

I feel the same. But i am starting to wonder would it be worth it. But problem i have, i would like to do nail art with them, might work out cheaper for them, than ordering shellac on top of enhancements.

Latest posts

Back