Issue when removing IBD PowerBond

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peggyn

Reaction score
Hi!

I am not a nail expert, but, because of the lockdown in my country, I have to remove the IBD gel polish from my own nails.

I soaked off my nails in acetone and everything went fine... until I got to the power bond layer.
Everything got right off after the acetone, except for the PowerBond, which seems to stay firmly in place.
I tried soaking off in a bowl with acetone for an extra 15', but it didn't work...

I have one more person in the family who will need my help and getting to a proffessional just isn't an option right now...

I am trying to avoid using a file, because I am afraid I will harm the nail bed. Although on my own nails I tried and it is the only thing that worked so far...

Any ideas? Do I have to soak in acetone or file or buff? You guys are my only hope for decent advice from experts at the moment...

IBD Powerboat is a air dry primer/dehydrator so it won't leave a layer to soak off.

Did you have gel polish or gel extension/overlays?

Gel polish soaks off in 10 minutes so soaking for longer won't help.

In fairness if the base layer is that firmly attached I'd be leaving it as a protective layer until you can visit your tech

Can you post pictures?

Thank you, Trinity! You were already very helpful!

It was just powerbond, base coat, colour and top coat-all IBD.
What had remained was like a very thin "skin" of liquid glued that was dry.
My tech had applied it from the middle to the tip to make it last.
It lasted a good two and a half weeks, but it grew and then chipped at the end and it came to the point it was dysfunctional to keep it... I think you get the picture.

I was certain I was doing something wrong...
After your message I filed it away with 240 file (I was so lucky to have purchased it) and my buffer (depending on the area of the nail). That was the only thing that worked!

I will post pictures, though, if the issue remains when we take off my mom's.
Exact same IBD application on her too.
Do you suggest a different method from the start?
Or a different file?

On my own nails I took the risk because I would be able to "feel" it If I did something wrong.
On other people's hands, though...

I'd rather you spoke to your tech for advice, they may be using something outside of the standard iBD range to help with adhesion. I haven't used iBD for years but a quick Google says their Gel Polish should soak off in 10 minutes using the acetone and foil wrap method. Soaking for longer won't help as the product will just reharden as the acetone evaporates.

My only concern is that you actually filing off layers of your natural nail because it's dehydrated and it maybe looks like product

Oh no, the nail polish bit got right off when soaking with acetone and foil, just like you said!

The nail is in excellent condition (thank God).
When I filed carefully, the nail was strong, no colouring or anything like that.
Not filing away my natural nails was my main concern-thank God for all those threads I read when doing research!

It was just that layer of PowerBond that won't come off without filing it off...

I also tried googling it and didn't find any definite methods for taking off IBD PowerBond, just a whole bunch of posts from people who couldn't take it off (my case apparently is not so special...).
I am not an expert, though, so I figured an expert will know better!

I was hoping that before I started the process again I could have a better gameplan, if you will.
For example grit of file, or buffer, or anything else I should use for better (and safer results)!

I will certainly ask her when I see her, but for now I'm afraid we are on our own...
From what I saw it was standard stuff (I googled and saw the image of the product).

Thank you once again so much for your help!
Any suggestions or advice you may have are most welcome!

Um, I think Trinity has been quite clear - it's not powerbond that you are trying to remove. We have no idea what it is, because you haven't asked your nail tech. It's as simple as picking up the phone and calling. Gel polish removes with a soak off. Something more permanent will not soak off. I would not do the same that you've done to yourself to someone else's nails, as you do not know how they will react, and you don't know what product you are removing.
Ask your tech what they did, What's the worst thing that can happen? Your tech is going to scream at you over the phone and tell you never to call them again and to get stuffed? I doubt it.
I'm at a loss why people won't make a simple phone call to confirm something or ask a question. I answer the phone all day and I've never told someone to get stuffed because they wanted to ask a question - even if it seems like there's an obvious answer, or the question has been asked before.

Latest posts

Back