Issues with Shellac lasting - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlissedBeauty

Reaction score
Hi all,
I need some advice , im new to the shellac system and am currently doing my case studies to hone my skills . I’m having trouble getting the shellac to stay on hands -some of my case studies are getting to about 3 days and are starting to see cracks, chips at the ends and even lifting and peeling.
I’m really using the scrubfresh and am making sure I’m capping the ends and trying to go with thin layers but it’s denting what little confidence I had - what am I doing wrong ? Help!

Aw sorry to hear that! Are you using the cnd lamp? Xx

Yep , Ive completed the full CND training ( 2 day beginners course with kit and uv lamp) and I’m using all the proper products, I can’t work out what I’m doing wrong .

Yep , Ive completed the full CND training ( 2 day beginners course with kit and uv lamp) and I’m using all the proper products, I can’t work out what I’m doing wrong .

Contact the acadamy and your tutor for some suppport, that many different issues is a problem, maybe one or two issues but 4 is just wrong.

The issues are all on different clients , the cracking is on a case study who has particularly bendy nails and i did warn her it might happen as she didn’t want them cut down( I had read about this happening to other people) , the lifting and peeling I’ve read can be because the shellac is too thick on application, so I’m trying to be more mindful of that . The chipping is happening at the ends so can only assume that it’s the capping of the free edge so I’m trying to pay special attention to that . The problem is that although I’m giving aftercare advice , I’m not sure my case studies are following it , so it’s hard to know what’s me and what’s them.

Plus my tutor seems to have gone awol - I’ve been trying to contact her re some other courses but I’m not getting any contact back
Hence my plea for help

Plus my tutor seems to have gone awol - I’ve been trying to contact her re some other courses but I’m not getting any contact back
Hence my plea for help

Go directly to SweetSquared if you are not receiving appropriate support from their ambassadors

Hi Blissed Beauty

I’m a CND EA and i’d be happy to help, please be patient with us as the last few days have been hectic with a lot of travel for us as we prepare for our upcoming product launch ❤️

Have you got any pictures of the nails you’ve done? Post them here or PM me them if you like and of be happy to take a look at them and see if I can help you

Thanks so much, I know you all get so busy especially before a launch .

The first picture is the crack - I think this is because the lady has a particularly bendy nail and from research I think the shellac just couldn’t cope - she wouldn’t have it cut down because she was so proud that her nails were that long , is my assumption correct?

The second photo is a peeling from the free edge back, now I assume it’s because of the loss of the capping ? The shellac also did not want to stay on this lady, I re did her hands twice in 2 days , thinner layers the second time ( I think I was a bit heavy handed trying to get coverage with the pastel colour the first time) and it still came off in 48 hours.i really have her a good scrubfresh the second time , Any ideas?
These two seems to be the main issues, any tips for correcting these would be great .
Thanks very much
Xxx

Attachments

• AC291532-A9B9-479B-B9A9-E38AE081BACC.jpeg
    AC291532-A9B9-479B-B9A9-E38AE081BACC.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 6FF5C2E5-A1AB-43F6-8F3C-7D850B0D3D47.jpeg
    6FF5C2E5-A1AB-43F6-8F3C-7D850B0D3D47.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 81
Cnd shellac isn't the best system for weak, bendy nails. It's a hybrid polish not a true gel, so it's usefulness on such clients is limited. The Gel Bottle and Gelish are longer wearing x

Looking at your pictures i think you are overcapping your free edge :)

Are you sealing that edge first? or do you do it last?

sometimes we are so aware that need to cap the free edge that we put too much product there leaving a lip of product which will cause undercuring and lead to lifting and peeling of the coating.

can to talk me through your application method? :)

Hi Noreen, ok that might be it then , I never thought about over capping .
I usually do the capping first , take off the product on the brush (unload it as much as possible) and then I tend to go along all the edges on the hand , sometimes going along with the end or side of the brush or back down the nail depending on if I can get to the free edge or not. Then I go back and do the 5 point method , I’ve had to go over on some as the nail plates were quite big .

Thank you for the help , I’m just feeling quite disheartened as I’ve had 3/5 case studies have either lifting, chipping or peeling for various reasons.
I guess that’s why we have case studies though and I’m determined to get it right
My manual is looking worn out already where I keep checking my technique !

What do you mean by you had to go over some nails as they were quite big? :)

Don’t worry little hiccups like these are normal, it’s not as easy as it looks and learning to apply shellac in a professional manner takes time and patience:)

You will get there and everyone who has trained in nails has gone through this stage x

I’ve had a couple of clients that have large nail plates so the 5 point method with fanning doesn’t quite cover the whole nail. So I’ve had to go over to get the first coverage layer.
I’m really hoping to sort this as it’s such a great system . But I really feel like my confidence has had a big knock.

Thank you so much to everyone on this thread I’ve got some points to work on and I will crack this - I’m determined lol

I’ve had a couple of clients that have large nail plates so the 5 point method with fanning doesn’t quite cover the whole nail. So I’ve had to go over to get the first coverage layer.
I’m really hoping to sort this as it’s such a great system . But I really feel like my confidence has had a big knock.

the 5 point polish method will work on any sized nails :)

It sounds like your having problems with portion control and running out of polish before you’ve finished the nail

You just need a bigger blob on product on the underside of your brush when painting

Also - I haven’t used it yet but I have read forums to use protein bond from young nails after using scrub fresh. It helps it to last longer but only use on the tips as it takes ages to come off! X

Can you also advise.....why do CND say you don’t need to buff the nail? What’s their reasoning?

Can you also advise.....why do CND say you don’t need to buff the nail? What’s their reasoning?

Because it damages the nail and quality products use chemical bonding chemistry rather than roughing up the nail surface

Protein bond should not be used as part of a CND Shellac application. It’s not part of the system and to introduce products outside the system may cause service breakdown.

Trinity is right, buffing the nails continuously will most certainly damage nails. CND Shellac base coat will adhere perfectly well to an unbuffed nail so the coating can be worn indefinitely with zero nail damage

Buffing the nails will also affect the quick removal of shellac, which is one of the major bonuses of the system.

Latest posts

Back