Issues with sticking Lecenté foils

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoubyLou88

Reaction score
Hey, hoping someone can help!
I have recently purchased some lecente foils but they won’t adhere to the inhibition layer of my gel, it just slides off despite trying different colours and wiping the foil with IPA before hand! I have heard you can use an adhesive to help them stick but I’m unsure which one works well as I’ve read a few threads on here and people are still experiencing problems even with an adhesive! Can someone recommend a good one or advise if the lecente adhesive is any good as it’s quite expensive compared to some? Help appreciated xx

You need the new lecente foil gel. Brilliant for full foil coverage.

You need the new lecente foil gel. Brilliant for full foil coverage.

Is this different to the foil adhesive?

I find sticking foil to the inhibition layer works well WITH A LIGHT TOUCH! Pressing to hard has the opposite effect and it just wants to just slide off! If I have a colour that I know doesn’t work well I just apply my top coat (cure as normal) then apply the foil on that and cure again. The top coat is much stickier than the colour coats so this works brilliantly, with no need to buy additional foil adhesive etc. I use shellac, but don’t see why this wouldnt work for other gel brands, unless of course you had a no wipe top coat.

I use Shellac gel polish and the new Lecente Create gel polish.

Shellac is a brand that does produce a very sticky layer for attaching glitter and foil - especially if you use a dark colour and cure twice. Great for dabbing on pieces of foil and patching any gaps.
However if you want to apply a foil where you want a full and complete transferal of a patterned foil, Foil Gel is very helpful.

Lecente gel polish (and lots of other brands) don't have much stickiness to them so hence why another product is needed to apply glitter/foil.
  • For glitter over lecente gel polish - apply a layer of base coat & cure, then apply glitter.
  • For foil over lecente gel polish - apply layer of Foil gel, cure for 2 mins and then apply foil

Foil gel gives you reliable and consistent stickiness right to the edge for a complete design transferal. This means you can confidently offer foil designs such as the peacock and animal print ones for example which need to come off in one go. No patching up.

The other foil adhesive Lecente 'Stick It' does not require curing. You apply a thin layer (slightly away from the edges), wait two minutes or more until it goes clear, and then apply foil.

So in my mind 'Foil gel' is better than 'Stick It' because it is ready straight after the curing and you can get the foil right to the edges.
With Stick It, the time it takes to dry is variable depending on client/room temperature, thickness & accurate application. You also need to leave a slight gap around the edge to allow the top coat to adhere to the colour coat otherwise you may risk the top coat peeling off the foil.

Hope that helps! :)

Latest posts

Back