It helps to understand the 'Science Bit'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
QUESTION? Why does Shellac sometimes turn white?

OK, Here is the 'science bit'!

Shellac is absolutely unique in the way it is formulated compared to coloured gels. Part of that unique formulation is the reason that Shellac removes so quickly in just 10 minutes.

The tiny tunnels that form in and throughout the Shellac UV3 colour coat when curing are what allow Acetone to penetrate the product quickly, all the way to the base coat where 'quick release polymers' in the base coat then release Shellac from the nail surface without the need for files or buffers which are potentially very damaging to the natural nail.

These tiny tunnels in Shellac also make Shellac less chemically resistant than gels; thus exposure to household chemicals including chlorine bleach can affect Shellac wear if the client does not protect her hands by wearing gloves when using harsh cleaning agents.
Simple solution ... wear gloves when using harsh chemical agents.

Women who avidly use bleach during their cleaning routine with no protection, risk fading or bleaching of the Shellac. Those who swim in chlorinated water and then expose themselves to the sun while their hands and feet are still wet, also risk fading of their Shellac UV3 colour coat.
Simple solution ... dry your fingers and toes before you expose them to the sun.

There are also some suntan lotions that have very powerful solvent oils in them such as DEET (an insect repellent) which will affect badly any nail coating at all including gels. Clients need to be mindful!
Simple solution ... to wipe lotions such as suntan creams/oils and insect repellents, off their nails after they have used them.

I have worn all Shellac colours for over a year and a half now and I, for example, have never experienced Shellac fading .. and I live in Spain! So if you see a client whose nails have 'bleached out' then somewhere, someone is not protecting their manicure as they should.

I think you will find the Shellac Aftercare Advice Sheet useful in helping your clients to look after their Shellacked nails and therefore experiencing a full 14 day perfect Shellac Manicure (AVAILABLE ON REQUEST). Nothing about Shellac aftercare is either difficult or unusual ... women should always look after a manicure by protecting it when necessary from harsh elements.

Here is a link that will be very useful to you in understanding Shellac Science and why Shellac is so unique.

YouTube - ‪The Science behind CND Shellac Color and the Removal‬‏

Happy Shellacking!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this post.
One question- where would we find the Shellac Aftercare Advice Sheet ?

Thank you so much for this post.
One question- where would we find the Shellac Aftercare Advice Sheet ?

I ill be happy to send it to you if you email me at [email protected] and quote your Sweet Squared customer number.

Another superb article. Thank you Gigi. :)

Oh i do love a bit of nail science.Thanks Gigi for taking the time to share your little pearls of wisdom with us :Love:

It might be an idea to get a few if these sheets laminated and hand them to the client to read whilst they are soaking ...we could than discuss it with them during the treatment....I don't know about the rest of you but a lot of my clients.....a lot of what I tell them goes in one ear and out the other unless they are nearly pinned down. Lol

Latest posts

Back