It takes so long

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandy829

Reaction score
Okay so i am fairly new at it and i feel like i do a good job. only a few problems so far but once i know where the problem is i am able to correct it. But My down fall is that it takes so long for me to do my l&p full sets and fills. I do them at home and for a while i was doing them at my kitchen table and my husband would slways give me a look of annoyance becasue i was taking so long. Now i have my own room with my own manicure table so i don't have to worry about annoying him with the time it takes but i am worried about the clients i am doing. I know i am new and it will take time but man. I had my very first sculpt yesturday and i have to say i am completely satisfied with the way they came out. They looked great but i got started at about 6 and i don't think she left till after 8. She did sit for a while under a uv light to let the nails dry but even still i feel like that is a long time. I also have my sister who i have to do a fill and rebalance and i feel like that takes a long time too. What can i do to speed myself up. I know part of it is that i am a perfectionsit so i examine them and do touch ups and stuff but hey i want them to look great. I don't know any suggestions. I am getting an e file which i am hoping will help with my time but i don't know.

you are have the exact same probs as i am having. i think your timing is not bad TBH, i take longer than you, i have to to the conclusion, with the advise from others on here, that it will just take time and practice...and patience.
At the end of day clients would rather a good job that took a bit longer than a rubbish job that was rushed....so dont feel pressured into rushing it.
Hope i have helped a bit, but i dont feel that i have got enough experience to give you any practical advice yet...but i am sure the others will.
xx

Hiya,

If you do a search on here you will find so many techs that had/have the same, "problem". Its just one of those things that takes practice, practice and more practice. If you ask the more experienced techs (me not inc.) you will find that the average time taken is two hours, maybe, more to complete a beautiful looking set of enhancements.

I think you are doing well, try not to compare yourself to others or worry as you sit down to do a new set. This will only cause you to make mistakes, you'll take even longer!!!! Tee hee

All the best xxx

Thanks guys! I guess you are right it will take time and i am just impatient becasue i want to be great at it now you know. I do have to say my first sculpting experience was a long one but they came out good. She had perfect nail beds for sculpting. The c-curves came out perfect. I am very happy with them. if only i could get better at painting french manicures because thats what she likes. I tried a tip from another nail tech and it didn't work the way i wanted it to so i'll have to practive them.

I think that a lot of us at the start compare our timing to other technicians who have in the business a lot longer. This is what I did, however the main concern at the beginning should be application and finishing, tbh as long as your client isn't under the impression that she is going to get a set done in under an hour then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Your timing will get quicker with the more sets you do, as said before try not to think about it. My timing has come down a lot doing pink and whites, although if I am working with a few different colours it takes longer. :hug:

thanks that makes me feel better

mandy from what you have said you sound as gf you are doing ok to me

but with time you will get quicker, i cannot tell you enough how much practicing will improve your work

i wish i had one of those nail trainers. I worked iwth it in school and althought the fingers kept falling off and the nails would go flying its a good thing to have. i wish i had one at home to practice with

i wish i had one of those nail trainers. I worked iwth it in school and althought the fingers kept falling off and the nails would go flying its a good thing to have. i wish i had one at home to practice with
Treat yourself to one, CND sell them hth

Treat yourself to one, CND sell them hth

Yes get one!! Mine is my best friend. When ever I get the chance I sit down with a mug of Coffee and experiment on it.

BTW, you say your client likes the french look, have you offered her a permanent french enhancement? Just a thought

HTH

Stevie

treat yourself to one if you can it will really help develop your skills and confidence.
meanwhile, get hold of a couple of plastic training fingers to practice on, theyre really cheap and will help you make progress.

Hi. Have a look on ebay for a nail trainer, as you can pick them up for about half price.

For what it's worth, I think you're doing really well on 2 hours. :) I can't manage that yet, even when I sculpt, and tipping drags the whole thing out even longer. I sometimes wonder if I'm ever going to break the 2 hour barrier, but it's still a whole heap better than taking literally all day, as we all did on the foundation course I attended! :) It's just practise, practise, practise and continuing education to improve on technique.

hi hun, You think your slow it takes me 3 hours to do a set...so frustrating..but i know i ll get their one day..i done a set of infills yesterday shed had her her extensions on for 3 weeks..and none of them had broken off ...i was so chuffed as normally when i come to doing infills (i dont have many clients at the moment ,not long started up), theyve usually lost some of em,i also used tips on her ,i normally do sculpts so dont know if this helped, but yeh time wise is frustrating,i too was thinking about investing in an e file but then its just more doe i have to find , and then ive gotta be trained in it...ooohh the joys of being in a nail tech..:Grope:

the busier you are , the faster you will get, it's all down to practice (and a bit of skill), the more sets (fills) you do, the faster you will get.

Get on of those practice hands and keep on doing sets (it's not wasting product) it's practice.

If you are part time or home based only doing a few nails a day, it's difficult to get in (or keep up) the flow of things.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

Clients would prefer a great set that take longer rather than a crappy set that's been rushed through. Clients are paying for quality and if they know you're still getting your time down, they're usually understanding if you warn them in advance.

another way of getting your times down,
is to watch how many times you pick up a file, put it down, lift your head up to talk etc......can be seconds per nail but adds up to mintes per set....
the more sets you do the more routine you will get into........
sometimes its just little things we do that can add time onto a service
hth

Latest posts

Back