Itchy spotty scalp - please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev Rose

Reaction score
Hi Hair Geeks...I hope you can give me some advise here please:hug:....

Both my kids seem to have itchy spots on their scalps around the crown area and they bleed quite easily, my daughter also has them a little further down into the nape of her neck.

They do not have head lice. Infact (touch wood) they have not had them for a few years, they are a little older now & in high school.

My son uses Vosene shampoo & my daughter uses Head & Shoulders as she has a flaky scalp too, or she'll pinch my TIGI Catwalk Oatmeal & Honey shampoo & cond, but mainly, she uses head & shoulders.

What could be causing this? Is it because they perhaps are not rinsing all the product out properly or could it be something else?

Hi Hair Geeks...I hope you can give me some advise here please:hug:....

Both my kids seem to have itchy spots on their scalps around the crown area and they bleed quite easily, my daughter also has them a little further down into the nape of her neck.

They do not have head lice. Infact (touch wood) they have not had them for a few years, they are a little older now & in high school.

My son uses Vosene shampoo & my daughter uses Head & Shoulders as she has a flaky scalp too, or she'll pinch my TIGI Catwalk Oatmeal & Honey shampoo & cond, but mainly, she uses head & shoulders.

What could be causing this? Is it because they perhaps are not rinsing all the product out properly or could it be something else?

dont know for sure. but could it be folliculitis? i believe its a bacterial infection that affects the follicule of the hair resulting in the symptoms you describe. i know someone who had it and it needs some antibiotics to clear it up. might be worth getting gp to look if it doesnt just dissapear on its own.

Hi Susan,
Thanks for your response hun :hug:

I've had a ggogle on folliculitis and the symptoms are not the same...
The area has small lumps, that when sctratched seem to just take off the top of the lump and bleed slightly, no pus or anything nasty looking.
There is no pain, only itching.

I guess I'll have to get them to the docs & let him have a look.

Much appreciated you imput tho. Thanks

Hi Susan,

The area has small lumps, that when sctratched seem to just take off the top of the lump and bleed slightly, no pus or anything nasty looking.

Hi Bev,

Just a thought, but could it be that they have developed an allergy to sodium laurel sulphate ?

I developed an allergy and my scalp became very itchy (no flakes as such), just really itchy all the time. I also developed little bumps (almost like spots) that hurt.

Since I stopped using shampoos that contain SLS, the problems has gone away.

I would recommend that you go see a doc, but just thought I'd share my experience.

Marlise

:hug: Thanks Marlise...

Interesting....both Head & Shoulders & Vosene contain SLS!

Maybe I should get them some Johnsons Baby Shampoo, I'll check out the ingredients first.

do they both wear products in thier hair ? i cant tolerate gel it drives my scalp bonkers , if your son wants it funky try wax its much kinder and is brill for styling , hth x

:hug: Thanks Marlise...

Interesting....both Head & Shoulders & Vosene contain SLS!

Maybe I should get them some Johnsons Baby Shampoo, I'll check out the ingredients first.

Bev,

You'll find that MOST shampoos (even the professional stuff) contains SLS.

I use MOP (Modern Organic Products) now which doesn't containt SLS. It's pricey, but worth the money for me.

Marlise

Hi Susan,

well thats good then, the person i knew who had it had to have quite a long course of anti biotics to clear it up . the spots were more like sort of infected pimples really, so not nice at all.

hi bev.....i have googgled this and this is what came up.
Itchy, bleeding scalp
i would go to doc but i have eczema...and if you keep scratching this (which you cant help)it will bleed...hth hun xx

Thanks sjc....ringworm sounds eeeeeerrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's not worms tho lol!

thanks hun, i'm off to inspect my son's head again.

Thanks sjc....ringworm sounds eeeeeerrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's not worms tho lol!

thanks hun, i'm off to inspect my son's head again.
good luck hun!!!.....i would go to docs cos like i say it could be eczma(sorry spelt wrong!!!) xxxxlet us know how your kids get on xxxx

Hi Bev
I also get this problem, usually if im a bit stressed or under the weather. I was told that it could be a type of psoriasis even though I dont suffer with it anywhere else. I find the only thing that clears it up is a shampoo called Nizoral. You can buy it from the pharmasist but if its for the children you should be able to get it on prescription as it is quite expensive for such a small bottle. So worth a trip to the doctors. Good luck hope this works for them as it can really get you down when your scalp is in this state.

I am 33 and have no childeren BUT i too have had itchy spots in my scalp, I now have worked out I was illergic to the shampoos so I swoped to a Neways shampoo and conditioner that has no chemicals at all and it is so much better.
Also a friend of mine has very bad dry scalp and itchy spots and uses a t'tree based shampoo.
Hope this helps.
Amanda
www.funkyfingertips.co.uk

Hi, I just noticed your post.
If your children are bathing/showering with extremely hot water that could be the culprit.
I had an incident a few years ago and after seeing a couple of Dr's we came to the solution to bathe/shower with cooler water.
It worked and after about three days, my scalp was back to normal.
Hope this helps.

Thanks all, for your responses.

we all take showers here, well at least we did until yesterday when it broke!!!

Will get him to docs, have had no time as yet - busy working - bad mother!

Will look at the tea tree option too in the mean time as I have some oil I could put on.

xxx

Latest posts

Back