ITEC marking criteria - can u use calgel???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny H

Reaction score
Hi

Hope someone can answer this for me - I've asked my college (who have chosen to use calgel), but they still haven't 'got back to me'.

I've downloaded the ITEC marking criteria, and the bit about gel application & finished result (ie 20% of the marks) has a lot of marks for filing AFTER gel application (on tips), and stress area/contour etc.

All we have done with calgel is apply it evenly - make sure it's thinner near the cuticle & cap the free edge. We have done nothing to build the stress area, and our tutor is telling us to just whack 2 coats of clear on in the exam, and move on to the acrylic on the other hand.

I've asked if this means we just can't get full marks in the gel section (so don't waste our time trying), as it sounds like the exam is looking for application of hard, rather than soft self levelling gel.

Sorry if this isn't technically accurate - we haven't even heard of hard gels at college - I only found out about them from reading on this site.

I'm just concerned that our college may have put us at a disadvantage before we even walk into the exam - does anybody know anything that might help???

Thanks

Penny

I havent heard of "hard gels" either, I think what is happening at college is this....... You will be marked on if you can actually apply the gel in the correct way and if the finish product looks satifactory.

You only learn the basics at college and then when you start working you find different problems that you have to over come and you may also have to train with calgel again to use and learn fully about their products.

Basically the colleges have to do it like this to get you qualified otherwise it would take forever.

hope this helps xx

I would say you are at a definate disadvantage.Its quite easy to master calgel when you have done hard file off gel but not the other way around.They are applied,finished and removed totally different.
Are you doing a beauty therapy course or a nail techs course.If its the beauty therapist course then i can understand why they have chosen calgel for their gel option because in the little time they have for nail extensions, Calgel is probably the quickest and easiest to learn but if it is the gel option for a nail tech course you definately need to learn hard gel as calgel is not suitable for everyone.

Last edited:
Also, Calgel is not meant to be applied like 2 coats of varnish. The stress area should be built up - or you'll get breakages, and there should be refining (very lightly!) before the final coat.

i'm doing a nail tech course.
Gill - you're confirming what i think - we should have learned to use a hard file-off gel - I really don't think it's good enough in the exam to put on 2 clear coats (pretty much like varnish) and hey presto - done!
I guess there are a lot of marks in there we just haven't a chance of getting.
I've already written 1 letter about totally inadequate ventilation with 10 people using L&P in a room - looks like i'll be writing another.

any more advice gratefully received
thanks
penny

i'm doing a nail tech course.
Gill - you're confirming what i think - we should have learned to use a hard file-off gel - I really don't think it's good enough in the exam to put on 2 clear coats (pretty much like varnish) and hey presto - done!
I guess there are a lot of marks in there we just haven't a chance of getting.
I've already written 1 letter about totally inadequate ventilation with 10 people using L&P in a room - looks like i'll be writing another.

any more advice gratefully received
thanks
penny

...but Calgel should not be applied just like varnish on fingernails.... they are not training you how to apply it properly.

hi Alex - yes they have pretty much said it's applied in a very similar way to varnish - we were also shown a calgel training dvd that briefly mentioned the possibility of building on the stress area, but certainly didn't say anything about filing before the final coat. (only filing it showed was if you sculpt). i guess this is ok for NNOs, but perhaps not so good for tips?

hi Alex - yes they have pretty much said it's applied in a very similar way to varnish - we were also shown a calgel training dvd that briefly mentioned the possibility of building on the stress area, but certainly didn't say anything about filing before the final coat. (only filing it showed was if you sculpt). i guess this is ok for NNOs, but perhaps not so good for tips?

Even for NNO it would be hard to avoid breakages with no stress areas built up. In terms of being assessed, it wouldn't matter.... but on a real client, they'll likely be coming back with problems with no stress areas.

I do agree it's easier to get away without refining with a self leveller like Calgel than with a buff-off, but I have found it is a necessity for perfect looking nails.

I wonder if you should go ahead and do these things and show you are capable even though that hasn't been the training.... Yours will certainly come out with a better result.

i did an itec course and we learnt using nsi. a hard gel which we had to build up and define, white applied to natural tips, overlay and sculpted.
the stress area is the most important part of ur nail application.
anna:)

Latest posts

Back