ITEC or VCTC - please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisou

@fivarnishednails
Reaction score
Hi Ladies!

I've been lurking the forum for a few days, but this is my very first post. :)

I wanted to ask any Nail Techs in Europe what type of certification do you think is best?

I have already done my research and both "look" very similar and equally recognised internationally. However, The big brands seem to include ITEC training (I noticed at least CND training does), but VCTV appears to be recognized in more countries than ITEC certificates.

The course I have my eye on offers ITEC certification, and because of the above reasons I am on the fence. :s

I have seen a few threads here, but they are a few years old already. Can anyone share their fresh two cents of professional experience on this topic?

Thanks!

Well I think I'm going for the college providing VCTC cert. Read some unpleasant things online regarding the other institute. Guess the universe decided for me!

Well I think I'm going for the college providing VCTC cert. Read some unpleasant things online regarding the other institute. Guess the universe decided for me!
I did VCTC and was very happy with the course.

I did VCTC and was very happy with the course.
Thank you for chiming in :) I'm super anxious as this is a huge step and will be the beginning of a career change for me!

Hey Fisou,

Fellow Irish girl here!

I think the majority of qualifications here are ITEC, CIBTAC and CIDESCO and that generally seems to be what is asked for by employers. As long as the course you are doing is covering off everything you want to do and you are sure the college has a high standard of education/tutors then you won't go far wrong! Unfortunately there are a few training facilities offering training that they are not accredited to offer or mis sell courses- so you just need to triple check everything.

Which area of beauty are you looking to get into?

Hey Fisou,

Fellow Irish girl here!

I think the majority of qualifications here are ITEC, CIBTAC and CIDESCO and that generally seems to be what is asked for by employers. As long as the course you are doing is covering off everything you want to do and you are sure the college has a high standard of education/tutors then you won't go far wrong! Unfortunately there are a few training facilities offering training that they are not accredited to offer or mis sell courses- so you just need to triple check everything.

Which area of beauty are you looking to get into?

Hi Jen!
I want to do a Nail Technician course, I really want to be a qualified technician. :)
I am in Dublin and was looking at two locations in the city centre as I don't have a car. I was checking the Portobello Institute (they provide ITEC) but I read some bad reviews about the quality of the courses and the delivery as well. On the other hand I was also checking another college in Dundrum - http://collegeofmediaandartistry.co...prospectus/certificate/total-nail-technician/ The course looks good, they provide VCTC, I've heard nothing but cool stuff about them and they have been super nice with me.
I think I'm happy with the choice. :) I was only bummed the CMA course didn't seem to offer Acrylic application but I'm still confirming that with them.
Where in Ireland are you located? Any insight on any of these two places?

Thank you so much for the advice!

Hi Jen!
I want to do a Nail Technician course, I really want to be a qualified technician. :)
I am in Dublin and was looking at two locations in the city centre as I don't have a car. I was checking the Portobello Institute (they provide ITEC) but I read some bad reviews about the quality of the courses and the delivery as well. On the other hand I was also checking another college in Dundrum - http://collegeofmediaandartistry.co...prospectus/certificate/total-nail-technician/ The course looks good, they provide VCTC, I've heard nothing but cool stuff about them and they have been super nice with me.
I think I'm happy with the choice. :) I was only bummed the CMA course didn't seem to offer Acrylic application but I'm still confirming that with them.
Where in Ireland are you located? Any insight on any of these two places?

Thank you so much for the advice!
I am based in Dublin and I look after Sweet Squared Ireland.

A complete nail technician course should cover all systems- how long is the course you are looking at doing?

VCTC is a good qualification but you need to bear in mind that what is taught in college can be quite different to real life salon working- I know my ITEC qualification in beauty was quite old fashioned in some areas- like soaking nails and funny things with how you apply make up/touching clients skin etc...BUT it is just important that you decide which suits you best and remember that the first qualification is only the start, you need to build from there and skills is a life long learning process.

I am based in Dublin and I look after Sweet Squared Ireland.

A complete nail technician course should cover all systems- how long is the course you are looking at doing?

VCTC is a good qualification but you need to bear in mind that what is taught in college can be quite different to real life salon working- I know my ITEC qualification in beauty was quite old fashioned in some areas- like soaking nails and funny things with how you apply make up/touching clients skin etc...BUT it is just important that you decide which suits you best and remember that the first qualification is only the start, you need to build from there and skills is a life long learning process.
Oh and I would also add- you need to find out exactly what you get in the kit- which brands are provided. It is no good having a generic lamp and generic system as you will only need to replace these once you decide which brand you are wanting to work with as you must use the lamp that is specifically designed to go with your chosen system.
Bear in mind also that you can be better training with the brand you want to use- there is a big difference between systems and speaking from personal experience of training using a pretty rubbish brand a number of years ago- well lets just say I wasted my money!

The course is 13 weeks part-time so 228 hours. That really is the only thing that is making me hesitate so much... I've gone through the program and they only cover gel. And you are making me question things even more (in a good way of course ;)). But that other institute, the things I read about the way they operate made me cringe a bit.:confused:

I just saw that last message now. I know what you mean, I went through all the big brands first. O obviously looked into CND first ;) but when I saw you were in D12 my heart sank... I work full time, and I don't have a car so I really am restricted to walking distance or fast public transport access

The kits either school provide seem alright in that sense, where it is not top notch but decent brand at least (and that is one of the CMA's pros, vs the other one).

The course is 13 weeks part-time so 228 hours. That really is the only thing that is making me hesitate so much... I've gone through the program and they only cover gel. And you are making me question things even more (in a good way of course ;)). But that other institute, the things I read about the way they operate made me cringe a bit.:confused:

Well if you are feeling that way about a particular place then go with your gut feeling.

To be honest, a complete nail technician course is usually classed as a level 3...and it should cover all systems. So the course you are looking at is not strictly true as a Total Nail Technician- you would be looking to add liquid & powder onto that so it does make it quite expensive.
It's great that they are giving plenty of time for theory and the basics of mani & pedi...so it really just depends on what you want to come out of the course able to do.
Sorry for making you question things, just very passionate about our industry and I am proud to represent the awesomeness of S2 and all the brands we represent.
I will always be honest & helpful in a non biased way! It is important to have an excellent level of trained therapist/technician come out from a training course, whichever their brand of choice.

Last edited:
I just saw that last message now. I know what you mean, I went through all the big brands first. O obviously looked into CND first ;) but when I saw you were in D12 my heart sank... I work full time, and I don't have a car so I really am restricted to walking distance or fast public transport access

The kits either school provide seem alright in that sense, where it is not top notch but decent brand at least (and that is one of the CMA's pros, vs the other one).
Just saw this- sorry we obviously cross posted!
You definitely don't need a car to get to us, Luas is close and bus stop only a few metres away.
I get it that transport can be a problem sometimes- I live in the sticks! BUT - and this is a big huge massive BUT- sometimes it is worth the additional effort. Training with the best really is worth it, you get so much more out of it and it means you have the absolute most up to date techniques and skills. I did a gel nail course just after my beauty course in a place that was close to me- I am still in shock that I passed the course to be honest and if I had the benefit of hindsight, I would have kept my money.
The way I see it, education can be quite a substantial investment and it is one you are making in yourself- it pays in the long run to 'do it right' from the start....saves a heck of a lot of time and money.
Am always there for a chat or help, no sales pitch attached! Just honesty and genuine advice.

Another vote for sweet squared for training. I'm also from Ireland and the training I did here was the best I've had! Plus being qualified in CND is a plus as it's the brand people tend to ask about most. I did a VCTC course for beauty and to be honest it doesn't seem to be a qualification most places look for, I am hugely into makeup artistry now and looking back I would have 100% done an ITEC course. Sorry to put a spanner in the works!

It seems I somehow missed the
Am always there for a chat or help, no sales pitch attached! Just honesty and genuine advice.

I'll take you up on your offer! Do you have a work email I can reach out to?

Another vote for sweet squared for training. I'm also from Ireland and the training I did here was the best I've had! Plus being qualified in CND is a plus as it's the brand people tend to ask about most. I did a VCTC course for beauty and to be honest it doesn't seem to be a qualification most places look for, I am hugely into makeup artistry now and looking back I would have 100% done an ITEC course. Sorry to put a spanner in the works!
Thank you for taking time and sharing your advice. I think that is what I needed. Just being behind my computer doing research, not talking to anyone that's actually been there is no good.So thank you for chiming in:)

Hey Fisou,

My email address is [email protected] and you can reach myself or Eileen who is our CND Education Ambassador here in S2 Dublin on 01-4089191
Sarah- that is great feedback- thank you for sharing that. It definitely helps to have input from peeps who have 'been there & done that'!

There is no additional credibility in ITEC because of CND choosing them as an examining board. In the UK CND haven’t offered the ITEC for 2ish years – do they actually still offer it in Ireland?

In London branded training is not recognised for licencing & you would not be able to gain a licence to work in a salon with only a CND qualification.

In terms of salon employment both examining boards will be recognised. As VTCT is a UK based organisation there will be far fewer venues in Ireland offering their qualifications.

VTCT & ITEC both offer a handful of courses in nails. Without the exact title of each course it is hard to comment on the curriculum. Often colleges are purposefully unclear on what is taught. Because these qualifications are externally assessed you can find a concrete answer independently by going to the source – the examining board website.

The most popular VTCT entry level qualification is a level 2 diploma in nail services. It covers a wider syllabus than the course you have linked in post #6. VTCT explain the differences between the 2 below:

The VTCT level 2 certificate in nail technology “is one of two VTCT qualifications in nail services at Level 2. Whilst both qualifications qualify learners to become a junior nail technician, this qualification allows learners to gather evidence in a realistic working environment or real working environment without the need for fee paying clients. In contrast, the VTCT Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Nail Services (QCF) requires learners to work in a commercial salon whereby assessments must be carried out on real paying clients in line with commercial service times.”

The diploma would be preferable to an employer but many will not know the difference so I wouldn’t worry too much about that if everything else about the college is positive.

VTCT & ITEC both split learning between the level 2 & 3. In their level 2 qualifications you qualify as a junior nail technician and learn one enhancement discipline, in a level 3 you learn 2+ enhancement systems using sculpting and qualify as a senior nail technician. There are other differences you can look up. But the fundamental concept is that you get to grips with one enhancement product first before expanding your knowledge.

I’ve done lots of CND training, lots of Harmony training & have various VTCT qualifications. Each route has its plusses and minuses. I personally think people would struggle to be salon ready with simply brand based training.

I chose VTCT for my formal qualifications because they are the biggest & most accessible in the UK. It was that simple.

Choosing an examining board is not as important as choosing the right course taught by the right educators.

Be discerning, thorough & don’t rush your decision!

There is no additional credibility in ITEC because of CND choosing them as an examining board. In the UK CND haven’t offered the ITEC for 2ish years – do they actually still offer it in Ireland?

In London branded training is not recognised for licencing & you would not be able to gain a licence to work in a salon with only a CND qualification.

In terms of salon employment both examining boards will be recognised. As VTCT is a UK based organisation there will be far fewer venues in Ireland offering their qualifications.

Hi WillowRose,

ITEC is not offered as part of CND training in Ireland either.
Ireland does not have licensing but what we do have is some great colleges & training academy's which as long as a potential student does their research, they will come out of their course properly trained in the correct techniques & the proper theory behind what they are doing and are also fully insurable which is massively important.
ITEC is a far more common qualification in Ireland as well as CIBTAC and CIDESCO- in fact it is far more common in Ireland for people to be completely beauty trained as opposed to solely training in nails.
From an employment perspective the minimum employers look for is ITEC...but you will find the vast majority prefer a potential employee to have CND training, because they know how thorough & complete the education offering is.

:)

From an employment perspective the minimum employers look for is ITEC...but you will find the vast majority prefer a potential employee to have CND training, because they know how thorough & complete the education offering is.

ITEC or equivalent. As I explained VTCT is a UK based organisation but is recognised worldwide so would not limit employment anywhere. However, one would obviously have more choice of venue if using the biggest examining boards in Ireland.

To me the Op made it clear they wanted a formal qualification. Despite the Op specifically referencing a qualification that is no longer offered by S2 it is interesting that in your numerous posts you at no point said "unfortunately we do not offer an ITEC".

I, as an employer, would certainly not prefer branded training over college qualifications. I am sceptical about your statement & would appreciate it if you could cite your source. I would be very interested in seeing independently gathered mass market research showing unusual trending behaviour in Ireland salons.

It's easy to convert anyone for little cost to a chosen brand so I can't imagine employers with rudimentary business acumen would care much on anything but a prospective employee's skill level & salon capability.

It's great to be as skilled as possible, do as much training as money & time allow. One will definitely learn & evolve professionally doing CND training. For continued development one should always be looking to enhance their skill set & CND training would do this. But it does have its limitations like all training routes.

The problems with solely branded training are: inability to perform at industry required timings on completion of study, limited case studies when compared to college equalling far less experience when "qualified", the inability to fail due to being internally assessed, inability to work in all sorts of locations due to being denied a licence, short course length, lack of a&p & salon necessary conduct on all matters relating to health & safety.

Latest posts

Back