Items I need for work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chibiswitz

Reaction score
Hi, I just started a new job with a spa that just opened up. My boss gave me a list of items that I need to provide for my job and that list includes items such as: disposable buffer blocks, orangewood sticks, lint-free wipes, towels, bowls and implements. I can understand providing my own set of implements but because I am being paid an hourly wage and not renting a table/chair, I thought that the spa owner was supposed to provide the other items. This is my first job so I'm not completely familiar with how everything works yet. Am I supposed to be paying for the disposable items, towels and bowls too?

You are employed so your employer should provide you with your tools. It is not up to you to provide disposables , never heard anything like this before. I would definitely question this, and if you can not resolve the matter, then look for another job x

All sounds very strange if you are being employed on an hourly rate.

If you were being employed as a secretary for instance would your employer expect you to provide your own computer?

I'd definitely be taking this up with them before considering whether or not to commence work :)

This sounds really odd if you're going to be an employee. I wouldn't expect to provide anything. Definitely question it before starting there

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

No, you should not be supplying disposable items if you are an employee-that's the responsibility of the owners. You are expected to have your own staff only if you are self employed, so either working on commission (although in that case it's also negotiable) or renting a space. It's very odd you were asked that, and I would seriously think about it and look around. Unless they are paying a very high hourly rate you are probably going to be in minus or making very little at the end of the day.

I think this is unacceptable too! I've been asked to bring my own nippers and pusher before (which I was thankful for - sharing usually = blunt!) but disposable buffers?! No thanks!

They should be supplying you with disposable items, it sounds to me like they are trying to cut costs by passing them on you, if you were self employed that's a different story, if they won't budge and you really want the job, ask them to either reimburse you, give you a percentage on top of your wages for any services that you have had to provide disposables for, I would also add up how much it's going to cos you and deduct it out of your wage and show them you sat and thought about it x good luck x

...Also towels. They can cost a lot and then who has the laundry cost responsibility? Buying washing powder etc or going to the launderette. Think they're trying it!

Thanks everyone for your advice. It's been resolved and they agreed to provide the items. Hopefully no other issues come up.

How strange they would expect you to get all these yourself in the first place. If I owned a spa, I'd be so OCD and want everything to match so there's no way I'd let my staff bring in their own towels! :lol:

Latest posts

Back