Its been a poo day today :hug:

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Jo

Creative Geek :)
Reaction score
Just looking for a bit of advice really or maybe just a :hug: :)
Last August my hairdresser talked me into doing nails from her little room in her hair salon (it is very basic and I bought a lovely nail station etc)... She didnt charge me at first as I started off cheap to build a few clients ... We then said that I would pay £15 day ... I hoped to do Thurs Friday and saturdays as that is when the salon is open ...
Next thing I have to pay £45 week whether I am there or not or have clients or not as she says her rent has gone up so I try and do this ... the salon is off the beaten track and I just dont see it as building any more from there .. I have had a rough time lately with losing my mum and having to sell her property and deal with all that comes along with this as well such enormous grief ... sometimes I had clients other times none but I paid every week ... but I cant carry on ... I have created a lovely cozy home salon where my regular ladies (and there arent too many at the mo) will come and my business manager came today and we agreed that all I am earning at the moment is going on product and rent! and that it makes financial sense to carry on from home. He is also going to help me to remarket my business and build it up ... even if its slowly thats fine with me.
Anyway I telephoned my colleague (I guess we became friends) and tried to explain the situation but ooooooh it did not go down well .... I think the proverbial may hit the fan! I signed nothing it has all been verbal agreement ... I will pay her for this week too even though I am not there but she is now saying her rent has gone up and she needs to speak to the landlords before she finalises things with me (I have nothing to do with her landlords though) ...
My nail station is in her shop and I am plucking up the courage to go in and get it :( I am such a wimp! I really just wanted to work and love doing my nails and am eternally grateful to her for giving me the start necessary but hate the inevitable conflict that this is causing. I hoped we could do it amicabally and I have seen her side too and realise that she started to bank on my rent and is obviously reacting accordingly but I cant keep paying when I am not earning it can I?
Anyhow thanks for the ear - I guess I just have to try and do it with dignity :)

aw hun
here a hug :hug:
when you work with friends things never seem to go the way we'd like em too... rent space can be a total nitemare... you have to make enuff money to not only pay your rent etc... but make renting a wee space affordable
we had a girl rent space p/t in the salon im in for a while but she wasnt picking up enuff clients and after she worked it all out was only taking 35p and hour!!... she left in the end cos she wanted to spend more time with her family... i think she just does the odd client at home now... im nt too sure...
i currently rent space and i have a signed contract that if i wanna leave i have to give 3 months written notice!!..... dunno what im gonna do on that front yet... we will see....lol :rolleyes:
do let us know how you get on :)
stay coolio

Jess
xox

Thanks Jess x

I didnt want to sound like i am whinging (sp?) and I know it may not even be a lot of rent to what some people pay but it makes a big difference to me and my shopping at the end of the week lol
I already have some clients who come to me at home in the evenings and what I was earning from them was subsidising the rent i am having to pay in the salon. I also want to expand my business eventually and do airbrushing and further nail services (following more training) and the space that i had didnt afford that and the conversion i now have at home is perfect. It is so hard coz i am sure that my colleague must think that i have used her and dont need her now ... but things just ended up moving different to how i imagined they would.
I read Sassy earlier talking about fate and i am sure that it is lending a hand here but i just wish it didnt come with any nastiness.

I have read a lot of peoples problems lately with how to make their business successful etc and it is very hard and quite stressful so i will share my :hug: with you :)
Anyway thanks again and take care x

Jo, I am sorry I didn't reply to this earlier.
I am not even going to take one step at a time here - things are blatant!

You have been upfront and you have NOT taken the rip; you have paid rent for when you were and were not there - this is fair enough; you have gone along with the price increases and have not complained; you have called her to explain in the nicest way possibe that you can not carry on renting as it is too much for you at this time - (no you didn't just walk out and leave her in the lurch, you called her and did the right thing) - another professional tick.

You have no contact; you have signed nothing. Go and get your desk - take her a bunch of flowers and a card - thank her once again for her help; this is not personal towards her.

Make sure the salon owner knows your appreciation; be firm and be professional. Remember - in life - if we are lucky we may be able to count on one hand how many true friends we have. You have got on well with this lady and she has given you a helping hand - however, you paid for it - she is a business collegue and if she had been a smart one, she would have had you sign this, that and the other. She didn't - you can walk away with a a clear conscience!
Now go and enjoy your new lovely home enviroment and grow from there. Have a better day and enjoy your fresh new start knowing that you did the right thing!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
I know it must be hard dealing with what's going on...I too was on here a couple of days ago venting about some of the BS I've been going through lately:irked: ...trust me better days are ahead. Don't feel guilty, business is business, you've held up your part of the bargin...anytime you are in a place and you have to pay more rent than what your actual revenue is it's time to go...it's not good business sense to drive yourself in a hole, because you are trying to be nice (I'm too nice for my own good too.:rolleyes: ) Us sweethearts always seem to get the short end of the stick, but there is a silver lining behind this cloud...you still have your talent and the ability to make money whether you were dropped down from a helicopter in Timbuktu or doing nails out of a hut in Africia...Let people think what they want to, they are going to do it anyway....Go for whatever your dreams are and DON'T look back!!

Hi Jo, you are obviously a lady with a conscience and a big heart and this is what is upsetting you, the feeling that you are letting this woman down. Listen to the advice already given to you, you are both in business and have bills to pay, and at the end of the day loyalty can only go so far and you need to do what is right for you ( sound advice that I have been given by a lovely lady on this site - you know who you are!!).

It is a shame that when things are going well everyone is pally, but when you decide to move on they get jealous and bitchy and make you feel bad. You have one life at the end of the day and you have to do what is best for you. You don't have to achieve this by knocking people on the way up (cos they will knock you on your way back down), but in the way you have done, through reason and professionalism.

Chin up hun and a big Sassy :hug: !!!!!!!

hi hun try not to let this get to you , (i know its hard coz i am soo soft :p ) but just look forward to working from home , and enjoy it , you have done everything right by the salon owner , so she should respect that , so go get your desk and start getting loads of clients , love dee

Hi Jo

Take it from someone who has had the pleasure of coming to see your home salon, you would be mad not to transfer your business there.

A lot of us try to do 'the right thing' by people and are not always met with the same in return (very sad but we have got to wise up,and become more confident in our actions). I know that is rich from me, as you know I struggle sometimes to be assertive LOL.

As the others have said you have done nothing to be worried about, and in all honesty Julie could always advertise her beauty room to rent out again!

Like Mrs Geek said get some flowers, take them round, and grab your table LOL

Take care

Well you know what my opinion in this is gonna be hunny.......At the end of the day if she's not happy tough....sorry for sounding harsh everyone but as you have all said and you Jo, you've done it in the proper fashion, you haven't take the p*** and have taken all the BS she has thrown at you, if she was a true friend she would have sat down with you and worked everything out as opposed to turning up whenever saying "her landlord has put her rent up"

Personally I find this really hard to believe that her rent could've gone up so many times in the matter of a couple of weeks.

Again I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh but Jo you are a very close friend to John and I and I hate seeing my friends being taken the p*** out of.

xxx

i think everyones advice here is bang on.......
you have been through such alot dont let this be an un nessesary burden to carry,
let your "friend" :irked: worry about herself and you concentrate on your self....it sounds like you need to put yourself first now.........
mrs geek said the right thing take some flowers and a card with words to the effect of,
"i am so grateful for the opportunity you gave me but with things being the way they have been this past year, i feel i have to do whats right for me," or something like that anyway :irked:
a big hug and a squeeze from me xx

Hi all ...

Thanks so much for your care :) :hug:
I have just come back from the salon ... Mrs Geek I didn't take flowers but I did take a weeks rent lol thought I would do the right thing.
Anyway, she wasn't nasty, infact a bit too nice! She did say though that the landlords said she should have got me to sign something and didnt know whether her rent would be reduced accordingly. She would inform the rates and get that reduced but if she had to continue paying the increased rent she would come back to me!!
I got my table and things that were there and am happy that I plucked up the courage to do it ...gosh I was pooing it! lol but I don't think that is the end of it yet. She also started to say things like informing council and insurance and stuff if i was thinking of carrying on from home .. don't know if they were threats or what! I sort of foresaw this and spoke to the guy from the business course that i did and when he came to see me yesterday we thrashed all this out and he was great and said that if necessary we would do all things right so that i am covered and noone could try and get me in trouble.
Will keep you informed. I am going to try and look forward now and concentrate on building my business with only me to answer to :)
It is great to have this site to be able to talk to you all and read your opinions and advice ... it really helps :) so a great big thanks to Sam and Samantha for that xx

Take care and :hug: :hug:

glad you got it sorted jo i dont like confrontation either, so go and concentrate on yourself now girl :hug:

but if she had to continue paying the increased rent she would come back to me!!

What for?? surely she doesnt think she's going to get any more money from you? :evil:

Well done for being brave and getting all your stuff back! Hope you are really successful in your home salon and I too believe in fate, as one door closes another one opens........ :hug: x

My background is in admin, and have worked for places which rent buildings. For her to charge you rent, she would be sub-letting and most lease contracts won't allow that, so her rent has probably gone up now that shes told her landlord that she has been sub-letting. Stand tall and take a deep breath! Refuse to give her any more money, suggest she advertises for a new nail tech and that this time she either employs them or has a contract with them for their services!

Hi, I gave up my room this week as well but I was lucky, evne though I didn't have a contract the original verbal agreement was to give one month's notice. I gave a week but he still offered me my deposit back once I clear all my stuff out.

At the end of the day, it was her responsibility to set up a formal agreement with you. You are not responsible for her rent or her business. Do not allow her to threaten you or blackmail you in anyway. Do things the honest way and you will have nothing to fear from her. And always keep in mind what goes around comes around!

I find the easiest way to be assertive is to remember that she does not pay your bills, put a roof over your head, or food on your table so you do not owe her anything and she has no say over you.

Jo - you have done exactly the right thing here, she isn;t your responsibility, your responsibility is to build up your own business. Walk away here, you have to realise that no matter how reasonable and honest your are, there are people willing to just use your success.

Cathy :D

She did say though that the landlords said she should have got me to sign something and didnt know whether her rent would be reduced accordingly. She would inform the rates and get that reduced but if she had to continue paying the increased rent she would come back to me!!
Hi ya Hun, upwards and onwards and good luck xxx
As for the Salon owner............... her problem not yours...........Do not part with any more money or let her blackmail you into doing so..........She was the business woman who thought a Nail Technician would be the right addition for her Salon, so she should have done her research regarding, her responibilities towards her landlord.....................It didn't make financial sense for you to stay there, so you left....... There is no legal comback for you...........you paid up to date !!!!!!!! You owe her nothing !!!!!!
Just sour grapes for her if she does chase you for money..........
As for informing the council and the like, be one step ahead of her and do it with the help of your business advisor.........Then should she ask, just smile and say....It's all been taken care off............... End off matter........

now have a bath and relax and think of some great promo's to get you noticed xxxx

Latest posts

Back