It's crunch time!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttaylor

Reaction score
Right I had a trade test last night in a salon and they want my answer in the next 2 days. But honestly I don't know what I feel anymore I think I have been so depressed with it all for so long I'm terrified of making the wrong decision and I know no one can make it for me but if anyone could push me in the right direction, it's different talking to friends and family. I have put a thread about this before but now is crunch time, I have the decision between, staying self employed and going to a smaller family/ village friendly salon on a busy road opposite a school but no shops. Or back to employed starting (apparently) on £1000 a month in quite a big independent growing salon chain, with opprotunitys. I feel I may either be without sounding stupid. Out of my depth and low in confidence for the bigger salon and maybe taking a step back with the other salon. I have a lot of added stress at the moment as well as we are buying a house and money is a big issue here. The salon I am in at the moment I had to quickly move to as where I was before changed employment an was forced out quickly so I feel I am still grieving this move :( I'm really sorry if I have bored anyone but I really am a lost sole in desperate need of some help... I appreciate any help

Last edited:
Also just to add my main worry in the smaller salon is not getting the clients and making the money. but I do have the opportunity to expand as I can also offer spray tanning and waxing here

Hi sweet

Sorry to hear you are going though it at the moment. I can really relate to where you are coming from. Would going mobile not be an option? That way you can be in charge of your own destiny?
Sorry I cant be much help.

xx

I would prefer to stay in a salon and have asked a few of my clients about mobile which I found they also preferred to come to the salon. I have to give an answer to this salon tomorrow and am no further forward:( just been I'll all day! This is no good. Thankyou for your reply though I appreciate any advice,experience xx

Would really appreciate anyone else's advice/ experience or anything really desperate geek here :( xx

I've always prefered the idea of being employed regarding having a regular flow of income. Working for an up and coming company could also be really good for your cv in the grand scheme of things.

It sounds like the employed role has the stability regarding income but maybe you'd enjoy being your own boss more.

Due to the money required to move house I'd be tempted to go for the employed role. Sounds like you're worried that the other salon might be hard to get clientelle with.

Weigh up what you want/need regarding money, job satisfaction, happiness :)

On the plus side, either way you have a choice of options :)

Thankyou for that. I think you are right on the money situation. I think I just feel a little out of my depth the salon isn't what I'm used to its very trendy and all the staff are young and trendy. I am used to the mix of village vs trendy, middle ages women if that makes Sence I'm scared I'm going to miss that. But in the same where I have moves to now I don't get that either other than the ones who have followed.
X

Go for the salon job for now..you never know..it might be perfect for you! And you don't have to stay there if you don't enjoy it! Take the job offer and do some more research in the area round the school..speak to the mums, locals etc xx

Go for the salon job for now..you never know..it might be perfect for you! And you don't have to stay there if you don't enjoy it! Take the job offer and do some more research in the area round the school..speak to the mums, locals etc xx

I agree with this. I think it is easier to find self employed opportunties than employed opportunities. Because of this, if being employed doesn't work for you, you could always quit and become self employed after that. That way, if you're employed at least while moving house, it will take the pressure off getting clients.

If I was in your shoes I would go for the salon. You could then build up your confidence and clientele and maybe put money away for later if you would rather be self employed.

I know when moving house it's all money for this and money for that. This job will give you a steady income whereas being mobile/self employed there may be times when you have no income at all.

Whatever you decide and only you could do this I wish you all the best and good luck:) xx

Thankyou everyone for your replies. I guess in scared of this employed salon as its more trendy than I have worked in before and the bloke intimidates me slightly however I had a good laugh with him. I'm used to working in a salon where I go in with my ideas and given the chance to give them ago I feel I may be restricted here.
You know what I just have a sick feeling and can't work out weather it's the salon or just me ! :(

Latest posts

Back