It's funny how....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandyNailsEdna

Reaction score
Clients come in and ask to get gel polish but instead say " I wanna get a shellac" I have to educate them by explaining that I don't use shellac, I use OPI gelcolor. That shellac is only a brand. Next time they should say Gel Polish. It's like saying " I want a BigMac from Burger King". They substitute the word gel polish for shellac. Heheh

Hiyas just want to say yes shellac is a brand name, but it's not a gel polish, it's a power polish hun and very different, which is why clients sometimes ask for it by name as they know its pep is different. :)

I do love shellac as well. I can tell which clients know their product and I know which clients don't. The ones that don't are pretty obvious; which are the ones that I have to give my explanation.

If your clients are asking for Shellac, why would you need to "re-educate" them and encourage them to have something different? If its a regular thing I would listen to what your clients want and give them what they want. Shellac is superior to other gel polishes on the market in my opinion, and if that's my personal view then no doubt some of your clients think that too. In terms of finished appearance and durability I suppose its all down to personal opinions and preference but when it comes to removal there's no competition. when I get a client asking me to remove the "shellac" they had done at another salon it becomes incredibly clear that it's not shellac when after 10 minutes in wraps it hasnt even budged!

I'm not knocking your choice of gel polish, OPI is a good professional brand, but I just think that if you've got a regular stream of clients asking for Shellac that it would make sense to consider offering it.

Clients come in and ask to get gel polish but instead say " I wanna get a shellac" I have to educate them by explaining that I don't use shellac, I use OPI gelcolor. That shellac is only a brand. Next time they should say Gel Polish. It's like saying " I want a BigMac from Burger King". They substitute the word gel polish for shellac. Heheh

I know what u mean hun, I find it funny. I get people saying....“can I have a shellac, like they do down the road in the discount salon" so I say I use gelish, it's a gel polish that lasts 21 days... They reply..."yes that's the one I'll have that!" they always leave completely happy, it's just what they may hear of through friends or local advertising I find. Still makes me laugh x

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe 'shellac' is the 'superior' gel polish out there.. I too use OPI gel polish and have done so for over 3 years (we used axxium previously) and I am also trained and have used shellac, to be honest once clients try the OPI they never have shellac again, Shellac (cnd) has just been very lucky and successful at marketing their brand, it's all about re-educating the clients x

Of Course it is superior, one of the best I have used. I get some ladies asking for shellac, and I let them know that I don't offer shellac at this time, but I let them know I have GelColor by OPI. Some of them really don't care, as long as the color lasts up to 21 days, an some really love CND shellac and they will only get that. Some of my clients have used gel polish only a couple times, which they have stuck with the word shellac because that what they think it is. Specially over here in my part of the city, salons have barely started introducing all these products so it is something kinda new. But all this only tells me that everybody is using shellac, that is why people use this word for all types of soft gels.

I know what u mean hun, I find it funny. I get people saying....“can I have a shellac, like they do down the road in the Xxxx shop" so I say I use gelish, it's a gel polish that lasts 21 days... They reply..."yes that's the one I'll have that!" they always leave completely happy, it's just what they may hear of through friends or local advertising I find. Still makes me laugh x

Exactly!

Last edited by a moderator:
I get clients come in all the time asking for a 'shellac'. I give them the option of gels we do, one of which being shellac. Most of the time, they choose Calgel as its alot stronger and can last longer. They always say 'oh I thought they were all called shellac!!' Nooo...!!! So I know where your coming from 😂

I don't believe 'shellac' is the 'superior' gel polish out there.. I too use OPI gel polish and have done so for over 3 years (we used axxium previously) and I am also trained and have used shellac, to be honest once clients try the OPI they never have shellac again, Shellac (cnd) has just been very lucky and successful at marketing their brand, it's all about re-educating the clients x

To be honest, shellac is not superior to me. I changed to OPI because it is easier to work with and cleaner. It removes without damaging and super fast. It lasts longer and shinier. But shellac is A-OK

Hiyas just want to say yes shellac is a brand name, but it's not a gel polish, it's a power polish hun and very different, which is why clients sometimes ask for it by name as they know its pep is different. :)

Of course, CND Shellac is a gel polish. "Power polish" is just a marketing term, a very effective one, and has no real scientific meaning. The MSDS for Shellac clearly state that it is a gel lacquer and it contain oligomers which are the basis for all gel polishes. That is not said to diminish Shellac in any way, simply to make clear that it does belong in the same category as all other gel polishes.

Just goes to show what brilliant marketing cnd do on our behalf! If clients are asking for Shellac, give it to them along with brisa lite for strength when needed, it's not just being used as a generic term they are asking because they want it and you'll be busier because of it.

Just goes to show what brilliant marketing cnd do on our behalf! If clients are asking for Shellac, give it to them along with brisa lite for strength when needed, it's not just being used as a generic term they are asking because they want it and you'll be busier because of it.

What an excellent point. CND are clearly investing heavily in marketing so that we, the nail techs, can build and run successful businesses by offering products which have become household names, therefore I think it is wise to invest our money with the company who is doing this for us, and is generating a stream of clients who ask for the product by name. Without the marketing that CND do on our behalf we would have a fraction of the clients we currently have, and so that CND can continue to create new innovative products and spend money on marketing, I believe that its only right to give the client Shellac if that is what she's asking for

If a client asks for Shellac and I don't do it, (I use Jessica GELeration) I will educate them on my chosen brand, why I believe it to be the best and how it works.

If I'm doing my job properly the client will have GELeration.

Kudos to CND Shellac for there great marketing though.

P x

There was a time not so long ago when I was only using Bio Sculpture, when potential clients called asking for Shellac I was always able to convert them by telling them about my product instead, they were happy. Then I brought in Shellac and Brisa Lite and almost every one of those clients have switched and are even happier. It's what they asked for, why wouldn't they want it? My business has improved as a direct result of giving my clients the brand they've asked for.

I still tell my carpets I am going to Hoover them....I use a Meile vacuum cleaner.....the carpets don't care they are still crumb free for a couple of days.
:biggrin:

I agree! I'm the same way except with gelish. I had shellac and it really didn't do to well. People would look at the colors and almost would almost always go for gelish. I definitely don't think it is fair to say that one brand is better then the other, it's personal preference and its about what works best with your clients. We all have our preferences.

I still tell my carpets I am going to Hoover them....I use a Meile vacuum cleaner.....the carpets don't care they are still crumb free for a couple of days.

Love it!

Lol, thats an analogy I use quite often on this subject!

Certainly CND have the best marketing campaign, arguably the best product but then can you really compare products that are not exactly the same?

For a lot of my clients, they don't like being buffed to death when they want to change their colour so for them, it's the quick soakoffability (hey I made a new word:biggrin:) that affects their choice. Some of the gel polishes can be soaked off, I know, and I can't comment on them as I haven't used them.

I had clients ringing asking for Shellac so I trained to do it. A no-brainer, I thought.

To be honest, shellac is not superior to me. I changed to OPI because it is easier to work with and cleaner. It removes without damaging and super fast. It lasts longer and shinier. But shellac is A-OK

Shellac doesn't damage nails. When applied and removed correctly it literally pops off the nail when the remover wraps come off.
Vicki x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back