It's time to move on.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautygirl1977

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I know you can't make up my mind for me but any thought/opinions would be great!
At the moment I have a beauty room in my parents house but I'm getting married this year and feel it's time to move on.
I have been offered a job in a beauty room within a busy hair salon and I have been offered a room to rent in a sunbed shop.
I can see pros and cons to both. Hair salon owner is one of my clients and they are a lovely bunch. It would meaning closing my business and I would be an employee there.
Sunbed shop is family opening next month but I would be renting the room from them.
I came straight from college/training and started on my own. Worked day and night for 2 years when training and when I opened. Invested a lot of money but now it's time to cut back a bit. We would like to start a family at some point too.
Any experiences/thoughts/opinions are much appreciated. I'm driving myself insane! Lol!
Thank you in advance.

You have to decide what is best for you, I worked in a salon for 7 years then when i was thinking about a family, i decided to leave and set up at home. I was the other way round to you lol, I worked long and hard, and last year had a baby girl, she is 9 months now and this year I have been in business 3 years, it is hard work but I'm getting there. I have cut back on some hours. It's funny because a client of mine is buying a new hairdressers and looking at having a self employed beauty person too and asked me if I was interested but at the moment I don't have time to do all those hours etc again. Good luck you have to really think about whats right for you, how would you manage with a baby too and working?

Thanks for your reply. Well I love my job but I'm not very good at the business side of things! I put in about 40hrs client time a week and then I've got my cleaning, books, orders etc to do on top of that so it would be cutting back. My problem is I can't say no and I end up working late every night. It's great my business is booming but I need another one of me! Not sure what will happen when (I hope) we have kids but our mums would babysit to let me work if that's what we wanted. Very lucky!

Hi

only you can really answer that question but if it were me and business was booming Id much rather be self employed than employed

xx

Hi,
Why would you want to even consider being employed by someone else if business is booming !
I would stay as you are until after babies !
I think you would find it very hard being employed after having your own business, low wages for a start !
Or if you don't feel you can stay working from your parents house, rent the sunbed room, and keep your business going.

Jo Jo x

Could you offer to rent the room
In the hairdresser? They are established with a client base who could also be interested in treatments.

If it were me I'd stay self employed. As a rule beauty therapy wages are low so you could be working all week to earn what you could earn in half the time.

Perhaps you just need to learn to say no and stick to the hours you feel you want to work?

P.S. when you find out how to do the above, please let me know ;) !!!!

H xx

In my opinion you should stay as you are. If you already have a client base you can take with you then why start again and work for someone else only to hand them your client base you have worked so hard to get?

What you need to do is work out exactly what you make after tax being self employed and exactly what you would make after tax being employed. Maybe that will help you decide.

Also I'd consider that if it doesn't work out at he salon as an employee then you will go back to square one and start all again as self employed wouldn't you?

As for the family in future well you never know what position you will be in. Maybe weir have kids etc you may have a house with a spare room or a garage in can convert into a beauty room or something like that.

If not then you may even be able to sell our business for a lump sum depending on income and outgoings, gross and net profit etc.

As for timings just open and close as advertised. If your client base are loyal the they will book in when available. Or just advertise two late night evenings a week but be strict otherwise balancing your work and personal life will not be easy.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

If it was me I'd stay self employed but if the hours/working every evening is getting to you then put lines through your diary a couple of evenings a week. I know how hard it can be to say no to clients but you need time for you as well. Like HiltonBeauty says - get your work/life balance right and being self employed is fab!

Thanks for your reply. Well I love my job but I'm not very good at the business side of things! I put in about 40hrs client time a week and then I've got my cleaning, books, orders etc to do on top of that so it would be cutting back. My problem is I can't say no and I end up working late every night. It's great my business is booming but I need another one of me! Not sure what will happen when (I hope) we have kids but our mums would babysit to let me work if that's what we wanted. Very lucky!
Oh I understand completely, I work my arse off, in between I clients I have housework, the business side like the books and emails and my baby but I'm getting there. I work from home and I work from 10 am til about 9 pm, I get gaps in between to spend time with my little one. If I worked in a salon I'd be working more hours for less pay, I'd have child care to pay and wouldn't see my little one so much. There us a lot to think about,

Thanks very much for all the replies. When I did my sums I would be taking too much of a drop to go back to working for someone else. I've decided to cut back to two evenings per week and see how it goes. The room in the tanning shop is still a option and I'll find out about that at the end of the month. They are just starting out and hoping I bring them trade too so rent shouldn't be too expensive and I will hopefully sell more products in the shop than I do now. Thanks again everyone! I'll keep you posted.

Latest posts

Back